Classic Princess stories with a Twist

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Classic Princess stories with a Twist

Post by Storygamer88 »

I think a lot of Disney movies lately have been inverting the classic trope with heroes like Moana and Brave's archer. Then there's anime and video games that change it too.

That said, there arent many novel based princess like characters I can think of - though it is admittedly out of the scope of my interests. Perhaps Ella as others have said is the only I can recall.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I love Patricia C. Wrede's The Enchanted Forest Chronices. Princess Cimorene thinks being a classic princess is boring. She convinces the castle staff to teach her things like fencing and cooking. She ends up volunteering to be a captive to a dragon where she can cook, clean, read, and do magic. I HIGHLY recommend this book series.
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

I wanted to add that Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge is an amazing retelling of Little Red Riding Hood; I would urge everyone to give it a try. It moves quickly, and I found it to be far less predictable than most stories based on fairy tales. The writing is exquisite, especially for something that's technically young adult fiction.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I'll definitely keep all of these in mind because I'm always looking for twists on fairy tales. I wasn't blown away by Gregory Maguire's works, unfortunately. But, I'll check all of these out!
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

The Princess Bride!
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I'm also going to say Ella Enchanted and Just Ella!

I'm going to add Leaping Beauty: And Other Animal Fairy Tales by Gregory Maguire. Yes, the same guy who wrote Wicked and its sequels. Leaping Beauty re-imagines the characters as animals; it is a fun and quick little short story collection for younger readers. After reading some of his darker and deeper books, reading a story where the three little pigs become penguins is such a palette cleanser. He still uses the some of the details from older stories, like the step-sisters inflicting pain on themselves trying to fit their feet into Cinderella's slipper to get the prince, but she's an elephant using pie pans, so it verges into silly more than some of his other work.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

ThatRobynGirl wrote: 10 Dec 2013, 06:11 Have you read the Once Upon A Time series? It's written collectively, and they're all retelling classic fairy tales. They're absolutely smashing, in my opinion. I highly recommend them.
There's a book series??!! 😱😱 I'm hooked (no pun intended) on the TV series...
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

bb587 wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 08:58 I love Patricia C. Wrede's The Enchanted Forest Chronices. Princess Cimorene thinks being a classic princess is boring. She convinces the castle staff to teach her things like fencing and cooking. She ends up volunteering to be a captive to a dragon where she can cook, clean, read, and do magic. I HIGHLY recommend this book series.
I remember reading this a long time ago. I absolutely loved it!!
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

anomalocaris wrote: 26 Apr 2014, 11:54 Politically Correct Bedtime Stories. It's a collection of parodies of classic fairy tales, with anything potentially offensive removed. in one, Cinderella goes to the ball, against the advice of her fairy godmother, who tries to dissuade her from stuffing herself into uncomfortable clothing to conform to an unrealistic male-imposed standard of feminine beauty. Mayhem ensues. In another, Red Riding Hood goes off to bring some healthy snacks to her grandmother (who is an active senior citizen and perfectly able to take care of herself), and of course encounters the wolf. When the woodsman arrives to save the day, both Red and the wolf are offended by the insinuation that women and wolves can't solve their own problems without a man's help and... well, again, mayhem ensues.
I read this a while back, but I had forgotten about it! I'm going to have to pull it back out. Thank you!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
PegR
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by PegR »

I love the selection Series. Damsels in distrest in the begging but then when America takes actions is beautiful. Fragile princess no more!! 100% recommended.
Mariette15
Favorite Author: Patrick Ness
Currently Reading: The Knife of Never Letting Go
Bookshelf Size: 37
fav_author_id: 3220

Post by Mariette15 »

I loved the twice upon a time series. They were retellings from both the prince/lover and princess's perspective and added so much more to the story!
decafmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-decafmama.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by decafmama »

Princess Bride by William Goldman. The heroine is not necessarily brilliant, but the story does upset the traditional applecart.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I have to agree I love once upon a time, particularly how they interweave all the original classics in a humouroys, thrilling and exciting manner that brings back to life the old storyline’s that we know and love with a twist. Definitely, a must read!
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I actually read a lot of reworked fairytales that were picture books for my Children's Literature class recently. they are so interesting!
fenellamelford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fenellamelford.html
Latest Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Post by fenellamelford »

The Crown of Dalemark by Diana Wynne Jones! A modern girl gets dropped back in time, in the place of her historical doppelganger who was on a quest to be Queen. It throws a lot of tropes on their head & is part fantasy, part who-done-it.

Return to “Classic Books”