Mist of avalon, mistress of magic by marion bradley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sugarbearmama
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: the regulators
Currently Reading: the mists of avalon
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sugarbearmama.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Mist of avalon, mistress of magic by marion bradley

Post by sugarbearmama »

the mists of Avalon is a 4 book saga of politics, religion, and magic. The first book, mistress of magic, focuses on the struggles that the women must endure during times of war, and political change.

As uther is about to become high king of Britain he falls in love with a married woman, igraine, and she with him. Under the tides of fate and destiny igraine is conflicted with this romance, especially while being a married woman with a baby girl. meaNwhile, in Avalon, igraines older sister, Vivian the high priestess is busy keeping their secret world afloat, and keeping the fate in motion as the goddess and gods intend.

this book has been on the new York times best sellers list for 3 months, and now that I have read the first book I know why. It tells of the medieval days from the woman's perspective, i find it is a refreshing take on the king Arthur era. Marion Bradley did an excellent job writing in old English tongue, at first it bothered me, but quickly realized with out the way she writes it you lose the passion that is instilled in each character. , I feel as though this is one I will keep on my shelf and reread through the years.
roguexunited
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: After Dark
Currently Reading: Sweet Tooth
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roguexunited.html
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by roguexunited »

I do think that Bradley's Mists of Avalon is a wonderful rewriting of Malory's Morte D'Arthur and other Arthurian tales. She does a wonderful job when constructing her characters, which makes the reader become emotionally invested on them, even though many of them, like Morgaine, have been portrayed as villains. I think Bradley rescues the older versions of the female characters, before Malory and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and finds a way to tell their story in a very appealing way.
Personally I'd wish more people would read this book, because every time I see a new adaptation of the Arthurian tale and find the writer, or writers, falling into the same commonplaces -specially when it comes to Morgan le Fay- it saddens me, and makes me a little angry.
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

I read this a good ten plus years ago and had completely forgotten! So good. Another to go on my must get list. Thank you!
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
humanracer

Post by humanracer »

Isn't the author a pedophile? That would put me off reading them.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Even searching on the internet...I can't find what you're talking about.

I love her writing.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
humanracer

Post by humanracer »

You can't have searched hard as it's all over the Internet.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I loved this series!! I thought it was a great take on the King Author myth, and enjoyed the point of view of Morgan Lefay. I never heard anything about the author being a pedophile, I hope that's not true.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
methylaine
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-methylaine.html

Post by methylaine »

I read those books when I was really young and I loved them ! I really enjoyed how everything was linked and with the Atlantis. It offered a very different point of view on a classic tale. Her Trillium serie was also really interesting. She also rewrote the Mozart's Enchanted Flute from a different point of view in the Night's Daughter.

She was a creative person and a good writer, no matter what her personal life was. We should enjoy her books for what they are and not what the author was or wasn't...
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I read the Mists of Avalon in 1996. My campus counselor recommended it to me as a college student. It was amazing. A-may-zing. They made a miniseries a few years later, with that actress from the Good Wife. (I hate that show, BTW.) Julianna Marguiles? It was awful. It stripped this amazing book of its depth. I wouldn't watch it, assuming it's still out there.

But this book was just amazing.

Return to “Classic Books”