The Bell Jar- Sylvia Plath

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
KLafser
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Re: The Bell Jar- Sylvia Plath

Post by KLafser » 08 Apr 2018, 19:58

We just read this in my local book club. It was good, it wasn't my favorite. When I finished it, it felt incomplete. I know it wasn't. I did appreciate her plight and think she effectively called attention to the important topic of mental health. I would recommend it but it won't be one I re-read.

chooper454
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chooper454.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by chooper454 » 09 Apr 2018, 15:10

Plath has a unique way of creating a specific atmosphere throughout the entire book-not blatantly mentioned, but always lurking between the lines. The novel as a whole really personifies the title itself- I could feel the claustrophobic aesthetic on every page. And Plath writes Greenwood so effortlessly and fluidly, having her personify the atmosphere I have mentioned. Struggling, but not seeing any way out. So relatable to young women, even today.

holsam_87
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading: It's Hard to Be a Vampire
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Lilly Among Clouds by Marie Washtag
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 » 10 Apr 2018, 20:37

sarahgraceface89 wrote:
18 Jul 2013, 21:52
I love this novel. It sheds light on the societal pressures that women endure, regardless of the time period. Plath's style of writing is completely engrossing, there is never a need to a breather or pause to check the time, you are so absorbed in the story that you forget about the passing of time.
I have heard a lot about this book, but I have never read it. My friends have mentioned that it's really good.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

alisonedgee
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee » 28 May 2018, 10:12

ive wanted to read the bell jar for about ten years, just i always find theres something in the way

Rebecca AR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154

Post by Rebecca AR » 29 May 2018, 01:19

This is one of those ones I had been meaning to read for a long time, and I finally did recently. It's certainly not as dark as I was expecting. If I didn't know it was such a seminal text, I think I'd have shrugged my shoulders at it, to be honest. The matter-of-fact nature of it is a little chilling, but it's just not as intense as I expected.

pricklypurple
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by pricklypurple » 30 Jun 2018, 16:09

I gated this book. The beginning was sort of interesting. Then, it just got really boring and random. I think it only gained popularity because of the author's death.

Northernbird84
2018 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Northernbird84 » 19 Jul 2018, 09:23

Quite simply one of the best books I have ever read. Ever.

As a long time fan of Sylvia Plath's poetry I had high hopes for this book and it didn't disappoint me.

EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 » 20 Jul 2018, 10:14

This book is a piercing look at how a person can struggle with mental health issues in a society that did not provide many opportunities for women to flourish in the writing world. Plath's work has always left an indelible impression on me, and when I finally got to read 'The Bell Jar', there was no doubt left in my mind about how great she was at capturing those complex emotions and that deep pain she went through in her own life.

Some scenes in this book can be quite jarring and upsetting, especially around the darker themes of struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts, so I would recommend having a good mindset before sitting down to read this one.

Vscholz
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 799
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz » 10 Aug 2018, 21:07

dahlianoir wrote:
06 Aug 2013, 09:24
sarahgraceface89 wrote:I love this novel. It sheds light on the societal pressures that women endure, regardless of the time period. Plath's style of writing is completely engrossing, there is never a need to a breather or pause to check the time, you are so absorbed in the story that you forget about the passing of time.
I completely agree with you, I love this book too. I read it at a time in my life when I was going through similar feelings, but the way she describes what she's going through is so fluent and accurate.
Do you like her poetry, also? I sometimes find it a little hard to understand, but I suppose that's the purpose of it :)
I have only read this book once and I loved it! I'm always hesitant to read "classic" American novels. At the point when I read this book, I was at a time in my life where it was like being inside of my own head (I didn't have the same experiences and I was several years older than the protagonist).

Mental health is a serious subject and the way Plath addresses it in this book... it is heartbreaking. I felt the emotions Esther had, perhaps not because of Plath's writing but because they are not exclusive to one person or one era.

Luckily, I am in a better place than I was then. I treasure this book.

booklysis
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by booklysis » 18 Aug 2018, 01:05

I agree with you. The storyline is so intriguing. I just love it!

Return to “Classic Books”