The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah the Writer
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-the-writer.html

Re: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Post by Sarah the Writer »

I read this in book groups for school in 6th grade, and I enjoyed parts of it. In the big picture, it doesn't really interest me, but I was so fascinated with Pearl throughout the story that I enjoyed it more than I would have ha Pearl been a different character. I love the way she embodies the scarlet letter.
Southernstarr011
Currently Reading: The Midwife
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-southernstarr011.html

Post by Southernstarr011 »

Pearl is my favorite character. You see in her Hester's motivation for living. Pearl is Hester's redeeming quality. The descriptions of interactions between Pearl and Roger or Pearl and Arthur are also telling in their hints at guilt and redemption. In a day when the word "bastard" was a life sentence, Pearl embraces her identity and grows up with confidence and energy.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I read this one a year or two back and I wasn't too thrilled with it. I might have had a hard time getting into the story or really connecting with anyone or anything in it, though the premise is intriguing. I finished it all in one day because I knew I had to and wanted to get it out of the way. The story itself seems interesting and full of drama, so I understand why it's usually well received.
BHersh
Currently Reading: Beautiful Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhersh.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BHersh »

This is one of my all-time favorite books. I love how Hawthorne was able to capture the culture of the Puritans and expose a lot of their hypocrisies and ways of thinking. I loved the strength Hester shows throughout the story and her relationship with Pearl was very enlightening.
jokersw1ld
Currently Reading: Moby Dick
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by jokersw1ld »

This book was a great read in high school, really opens your eyes to how cruel some people can be about a "books cover"
Jenna J Richardson
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Jenna J Richardson »

The themes in the Scarlet Letter are: sin, consequence, and the fall of human civilization caused by the hardship of humankind. God made us in his image and he loves us inconditionally, even though we are born full of sin. Adultry is also a symbol in this book because the protagonist has a baby, not free of sin, and has to wear a red, embossed letter A on her bossom. This is a reminder we are born sinners however, when we are born without knowledge of good and evil; we are innocent. Reading this novel and its intricoties, I fell in love with Pearl, the young child that seems to always finding trouble. It is not hard to have a heart for the young girl's mother, either because she was exocommunicated from the village. I'd have to say that This is my all-time favorite novels and I enjoyed reading it. I fell in love with the plot, the characters, and the language used. The book is short, and deals a long while with baby Pearl as a child, which left me wondering what she would be like when she got older. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 because of its rich detail and the lessons we learn from reading such a novel. Letter is perhaps the most beloved Hawthorne novel There is!
Caroline--1997
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-1997.html

Post by Caroline--1997 »

While I enjoyed the symbolism that The Scarlet Letter used, I felt it was a bit drawn out and unrealistic at times. Not to mention that Pear holds one of the top places for one of my least favorite characters of all time. If it were a different genre, I would have seriously been considering that she was possessed for a large portion of the book.
I must admit that it was forced academic reading and that may have influenced my overall reaction, I would not re-read it.
Marissa_P
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-p.html

Post by Marissa_P »

I remember reading this book in tenth grade. It was agony and such a chore (at the time). Has anyone else found that when you are forced to read a book and dissect it so deeply that its meanings turn to mush, you aren't too excited about it? I remember growing up and hearing someone talking about the story and I'm sure I was thinking something along the lines of, "There's no way they're talking about the book I think they are." Lo and behold, it is a VERY good book and holds so much symbolism. Poor tenth graders who are forced into reading it end up thinking it's horrible. I'm so glad I had a second encounter with this book. It now rests happily on my bookshelf and I'm glad I have given it a home. :D
Jbondal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbondal.html

Post by Jbondal »

I found this book to be very difficult to read because i would loose interest from time to time lol
The Virgo Speaks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-virgo-speaks.html

Post by The Virgo Speaks »

Currently, I am reading The Scarlet Letter and I am about 6 chapters in. So far, I find it very entertaining, especially with the way Nathaniel Hawthorne describes the scenes and characters. I should be done with it by this week, but I am highly anticipating the unfolding of the character interactions. Will the hypocrisy of the general population of the characters be addressed at any point by other characters other than the narrator?
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I read "The Scarlet Letter" in high school and didn't really enjoy it. Perhaps it's time I reread it and see if I still don't like it.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
WonderWoman74

Post by WonderWoman74 »

When I began reading The Scarlet Letter I had trouble getting through the first part of the book. It just wasn't interesting to me. I considered not finishing it, but I am glad I stuck with it because after the first 1/3 it became much more interesting and I zipped right through it without another thought of putting it down.
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

There's a lot of mixed reception for this novel. I think I'll have to pick it up sometime. It seems like the book everyone has a strong opinion about.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I also first read this one in high school, I definitely didn't appreciate it as much as I do as an adult. No matter how many times I've read it, I can always find more the next time.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

The Scarlet Letter has been one of my absolute favorite novels since I was a teenager. I think I get something different out of it every time I read it due to Hawthorne's ability to use ever changing symbolism in addition to his more static symbols. To me, this book is nothing less than a brilliant masterpiece.
I think one of my favorite uses of symbolism in this novel is through the actual characters within it. At first Hester represents the fallen woman, the sinner. Later she represents strength and truth. Dimmesdale is a symbol of hypocrisy and inner struggle. Pearl is the scarlet letter personified. She is Hester's happiness and pain all at the same time. And, Chillingworth ... well, he is simply a symbol of evil and revenge.
This book is incredible. The symbolism is vast, and Nathaniel Hawthorne did an amazing job with this novel. It is one I truly enjoy reading over and over.

Return to “Classic Books”