The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
7ht8th
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Post by 7ht8th »

“But… the scarlet letter ceased to be a stigma which attracted the world’s scorn and bitterness, and became a type of something to be sorrowed over, and looked upon with awe, and yet with reverence, too.” [quote] Such twisted and transforming symbolism abounds upon the pages of this timeless classic. This classic has become a means by which a lover of classical literature can admire a literary style demonstrating a true example of a mixture of elements transforming to meet a certain theme. The author uses these elements to transform purpose on a humanistic emotion in which everyone dabbles in often, sin. One such element evident in transforming in this novel, The Scarlet Letter, is the element of symbol. Sin is personified in the symbolism evident throughout the novel, and the symbolism, like mentioned earlier, transforms. This symbolistic transformation is evident with the Scarlet A which Hester is forced to wear upon herself. It is evident with the character, Pearl, who transforms as a symbol, and the platform changing to become like a “religious odyssey.” What are some other favorite symbolisms you found riveting throughout the novel?
mubaracus
Favorite Author: None as of Now
Favorite Book: None as of Now
Currently Reading: Autobiography of Ghandi

Post by mubaracus »

I found the scarlet letter very pedantic lol. It is so easy to imagine this book as a short story. Not the most interesting novel to me.
cassayohkay
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: The Devil in the White City
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by cassayohkay »

I read The Scarlet Letter for the first time in an Literature class in 10th grade. I think I was the only one in my class that actually enjoyed it.
SarahPapesh
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpapesh.html
Latest Review: "Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus" by Allison Hawn

Post by SarahPapesh »

I think I was also in 10th grade when I read it. I didn't fully appreciate it the way I do now as an adult. A lot of these classics are great to be introduced when the reader is young, but some of the material is too mature for a younger reader. (Not all, but many - it was too mature for me. I was only able to read the "surface.") I do think it was short, but it didn't feel rushed at all.
Latest Review: "Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus" by Allison Hawn
read_on
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-read-on.html

Post by read_on »

I was supposed to read it twice and my life, once when i was 17 and again when i was 20 and neither time did I manage to finish the book.
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Post by Jenn+books »

My favorite element of this novel is the character of Hester Prynne, herself. I like how the supposed punishment (the wearing of the scarlet A) of the patriarchal authority figures becomes for Hester a space of liberation in which she can learn about who she really is as a woman and a mother. From the beginning of the novel, Hester seems very different from the Puritan matriarchs, and she is able to learn how to appreciate herself and her unique strength because she is separated from the community. By the end of the novel, I think she has accepted that her "punishment" has been her freedom, and she returns to Boston to recover her place, which becomes a place of strength for other women, as well. I really like that Hester doesn't allow the patriarchy to "win" in the novel. For Hawthorne, this is really a very feminist novel!
carag4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carag4.html

Post by carag4 »

cassayohkay wrote:I read The Scarlet Letter for the first time in an Literature class in 10th grade. I think I was the only one in my class that actually enjoyed it.
The exact same thing happened to me. We read The Great Gatsby the same year and I was the only one that thought The Scarlet Letter was better.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

"The Scarlet Letter" has been my favorite novel since I was fifteen. I read it because the picture on the front of the edition I saw first looked interesting, being it so strikingly elegiac. I fell in love with Hester Prynne's character, who, in my opinion, is one of the best female icons of literature ever invented. I've read both of the other master novels of Nathaniel Hawthorne, "The House of the Seven Gables" and "The Marble Faun," but, still, was not so deeply moved as I was by his crown jewel. The prose is flawless, graceful in the absolute, and the depth to which he goes to explore the nature of sin, of hypocrisy, of oppression, of condemnation, of amour defendu, and of the lust for revenge is remarkable. Each time I read it, I find it more fascinating. There were no limits to Hawthorne's artistic resources. His ability to color every inch of a character's mind and make his or her reality sing with all its soul is equaled by very few, and I'm amazed at the fact that he's able to accomplish this, at times, in only a few sentences. One of my favorite passages in the novel concerns Hester Prynne...

"Shame! Despair! Solitude! These were her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss." Practically the entire foundation of her intellect is summed up in these few words. I have to say, Hawthorne's genius is often underrated, often being juxtaposed with Poe's, whose talent is obvious, but different.

Anyway, I'm glad to see a post on this one. I love the book. Thanks.
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

I just finished it only a few days ago.
I agree, a bit pedantic and too lengthy. A somewhat shorter novel would have been more powerful, I think.
It was good but not great, imo, but I am glad I finally read it. Now its on to The Count of Monte Cristo.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I was in 10th grade advanced English when I first read the Scarlet Letter. Back then, I will say I did not enjoy the book so much, mostly because I had a hard time focusing on it and understanding what I was reading. I was thrilled to be reading a classic but when it came to understanding it and getting through the book, I had a hard time. However, I am gonna read it again and hopefully now that I am older, I will be able to comprehend what I am reading better.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I hope you do end up reading it again. I really enjoyed, in addition to its many other brilliant aspects, the description of Pearl, Hester's only reason for living and her salvation.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
AlphaOmega

Post by AlphaOmega »

I read "The Scarlet Letter" in 11th grade English. My teacher had the class analyze the book from a specific characters point of view, I choose John Proctor.
Valerie0

Post by Valerie0 »

The Scarlet Letter is one of my all time favorite books. I have read it quite a few times. Each time I read it I see so much more. Hawthorne manages to depict most human characteristics in a few characters. Hester Prynne is a great heroine. I love how Hester, being sentenced to wear the letter "A" on her breast to announce herself as an adultress, uses her sewing skill to embroider the most beautiful, elaborate and fanciful "A". She wears that big, fancy scarlet "A" when all the rest of the Puritan women dressed in the most sober and dull unadorned dress. The character of Pearl is so under-rated. I see Pearl as the driver of the story and there should be alot more analysis of her character.
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

"The character of Pearl is so under-rated. I see Pearl as the driver of the story and there should be alot more analysis of her character".

I agree!
Sweetirishleo7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetirishleo7.html

Post by Sweetirishleo7 »

I absolutely love this story!!! It is one of my favorites. I love stories that take place in this era. I love how the Scarlet Letter was meant to be a punishment, and how Hester straightens her back and walks right through town (so to speak) with her head held high. That just wasn't something women did in the 1600's. It just wasn't thought of. She did keep her nose clean, but as I read I just had this feeling of empowerment. I also read this story for the 1st time in high school. This story resonated with me more then my other classmates as i could relate to Hester, sort of. 2 years before reading this, I got pregnant, I was 13, and delivered when I was 14. This was 20 years ago, when it hadn't yet become "cool" for teenage girls to have children. Despite my attempts to hide it, everyone really knew. I suffered a lot of shame and lost many friends. After reading The Scarlet Letter, I thought, "Well, if Hester could do it in the 1700's, so can I.". It really did change my thinking and like I said, I felt such empowerment.

Return to “Classic Books”