The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
seedben
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Post by seedben »

This book really came full circle and while Okonkwo is hard to like at first, you almost pity him throughout.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

The plot was good, the characters were good, and their relationship was good. But I can not get with the style of writing, I just could not find myself drawn in like I hoped.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

I love this book, it is my favorite classic. The symbolism throughout the book is nuanced and when you read it again you notice more nuances. I prefer the book over the movie, as books are usually better. I am glad that the movie allowed me to re-live the book. It had a twist in the end that I didn't expect.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

The book clearly shows how horrible these parties and wealth are, how they are the reason behind each of the characters being corroded. The movie on the other hand completely misses this point and instead glorifies them which is a very Hollywood type thing to do.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Zainabreadsnow wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 20:44 The book clearly shows how horrible these parties and wealth are, how they are the reason behind each of the characters being corroded. The movie on the other hand completely misses this point and instead glorifies them which is a very Hollywood type thing to do.
This is so so true! The parties in the film looked like so much fun and I would want to go to them but that was not the intention of the book at all
streetsolo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-streetsolo.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by streetsolo »

The funeral scene was my favorite part, as well as old Owl Eyes, so suffice it to say I think that the book was a lot better. Also DiCaprio was a decent Gatsby but I don't know, I just pictured him in my head differently when I was reading it myself. I still love the quotes in the book though, especially the closing line - the movie can't really do that justice.
"Your progress flows from where your focus goes."
-Sydney Cummings
mxthj

Post by mxthj »

a timeless classic. Crazy that a book from the 1920s is perfectly applicable to our years as well. A man who believes in love. We should all be like him
Ciarli

Post by Ciarli »

I couldnt say I loved the movie too!
Daisy it was played by a half crazy woman face as all rich women are but Di Caprio wasnt at all showing Gatsby. Gatsby wasnt at all an impotent like male but a barbaric face wading his way to the upper world of rich people.
Anyway it was better than the lifeless book giving you a shrill as you are reading a morgue file fresh anew!
anamf

Post by anamf »

The "Great Gatsby" is a great novel projecting the American Dream. I feel that a lot of us today, in America are still in the concept of the American dream, but aren't working towards it. The foreigners have taken the next step in fullfilling such dreams where as the true Americans are still lacking. We are playing the are minimum to fullfill this oportunistic dream. This is a great read if you are trying to understand the concept of such instances.
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

I have watched the movie starring Leonardo Decaprio of this classic novel. I must say that he has not dissapointed me in that role and lived up to his reputation. Both He and Toby Maguire were fantastic in their roles ..
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

I didn't read the book, but I watched the movie and I loved every second of it. I actually can't wait to read the book too.
Mpilis

Post by Mpilis »

I was terribly hooked by the moment that in the end, only the main character, the old man from the library, and Jay's father, appeared at Gatsby's funeral. Servants don't count for me in this particular situation. Considering that Gatsby threw grand parties almost every day, which were attended by several hundred people, he really had almost no real friends. Many communicated with him for the sake of profit and status. This brings up some thoughts..

Return to “Classic Books”