The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beardio16
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas

Post by Beardio16 »

When I first purchased my copy of this book, I was a little apprehensive to start reading, my opinion of classics as good stories, well told, was limited to two, possibly three classical authors. Most other classics I had endeavoured to read were stuffy, the type that costume dramas are based on. However, when I started reading, and became friends with d’Artagnan, Athos, Porthos and Aramis, it was un-put-down-able. The story was a gripping battle of good and evil, and the search for a kidnapped lover, with so many twists and turns along the way you barely know whether you are coming or going.

The characters, despite talking in swarthy, 16th century speak as they did (‘You villainous rogue’ ect.) were real. They became your friends, you rooted for them, wanted to know more about them, followed them… perhaps even loved them.

It was an exciting, suspenseful guessing game that picked me up, held me tight and dropped me three weeks later, dazed and breathless.

(by the way, if you haven’t guessed by now, I recommend it :wink: ) haha.

Drew.
Kaitlynn
Favorite Author: James Rollins
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlynn.html
fav_author_id: 4882

Post by Kaitlynn »

I completely agree with you, the pros you give on this book can also easily translate to his others. Dumas wrote several books relating to these same characters, and after I finished this one I had an insatiable fascination with seeing what would happen to these characters in the others. I can happily say that Dumas does not disappoint. He has a very distinct style when compared to other classic authors, which gives it a slightly modern feel. I found the way he fused the political environment of the time with the action and humor of the characters to be very refreshing while along my course of classic readings. It is a book I would quickly recommend and is one of my favorites. I'm currently reading The Women's War- another of his books, and can say that right from the very first chapter the intrigue and adventure already pull you deeper and make it very difficult to put down. If your new to the classics, or just want a change of pace with something fun and different- this is an excellent choice.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

This is how adventure novels should be written– it's got murder, political intrigue, romance, sword fights, and real friendship.
iuliica

Post by iuliica »

Totally agree, one of the best childhood reads. I read it several times, but translated in my native language. I recently tried to read a classic, Fantomas, but in English translation, and I simply could not get into it, it was certainly, the old style of language used that I could not digest very well.
A classic still, captivating and mysterious!
lostinbooks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lostinbooks.html

Post by lostinbooks »

One of my favorites! You should also check out The Count of Monte Cristo.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Love this book! The Count of Monte Cristo is awesome too!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Other Stories
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: The Savage Detectives

Post by Other Stories »

Ah, I bought the book yesterday and I'm pretty excited to read it. I have to finish some other books, but it's high on my to-read list. I'm glad to hear that it's still got an audience.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

This is definitely one of my favorites. The sequels are pretty good too, but not as entertaining as this one.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
lincolnp

Post by lincolnp »

It always amazed me how d'Artangnan managed to insert himself into everyone else's business. In the practically the first chapter he managed to get himself challenged to 3 duels just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time and seeing or hearing something he shouldn't have - quite unintentionally. LOL - love it. A friend introduced me to this book when I was in High School. I am eternally grateful.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

I too started this novel with a lot of apprehension, but couldn't put the book down once I started. It's definitely one of my best classics I've ever read and I really loved all the characters. Milady was my favourite though.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

It's still on my reading list. I remember watching the movie when I was little but I forgot 99% of it. I really have to read this one. Let's see if I read it after I'm finished with A Tale of Two Cities.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hpsecrets99 »

I read the Great Illustrated Classic version of this when I was a kid, but other than that I knew nothing about the story of this book. I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I was going to! It was hilarious and action-packed, and I would totally read it again! My favorite part was when d'Artagnan got himself into a duel with Porthos by insulting his belt, which looked like it was all gold, but really was only gold on the front.
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
maitdi

Post by maitdi »

I absolutly love the The Three Musketeers, it has it all. I also watched several movie versions and the book is definitely better. I highly recommend The Man in the iron mask also by Dumas.
Kishor Kr
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-kr.html

Post by Kishor Kr »

This was the first book I ever purchased and second book I ever read (first being borrowed from school library). And, trust me it is a true masterpiece. It has all elements a book should have. Written so good that beginners can learn a great deal about how to weite a perfect book.
randolphfine
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: For Whom the Bell Tolls
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randolphfine.html
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by randolphfine »

I read this for the first time last summer and thought it was fantastic. I don't know why it took me so long to read it especially since I read the Count of Monte Cristo over a decade ago. Dumas is a fantastic writer and has a unique gift of telling a story that is rarely seen by contemporary authors. My little brother bought me The Last Cavalier recently. It is a big one but is definitely moving up my short list of books to read.
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco

Return to “Classic Books”