The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
StinaMarinaH
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

Post by StinaMarinaH »

I read, and saw the film, in 8th grade. The vocabulary wouldn't bother me. However, we occasionally read books with, less than desirable, vocabulary, at that age.

If you have issues with the language, consult your child's teacher. Buy a copy of the book and Mark out the words you don't approve of, maybe, and explain to your child that "adult" language was used in those spots? Just a couple of suggestions if you're having issues with certain words.
Masaa

Post by Masaa »

I haven't read the book but I firmly believe that if you think it is inappropriate for her age then you should take a stand. There are many other books that are appropriate for 5th grade that they can learn from and there will be time for The Outsiders. Although it is true that kids may hear worse on the playground it is not the same thing as having it on the curriculum. Yes, you should want to shield your child. You can't shield them completely but that doesn't mean you open the flood gates either. If you have a relationship with other parents then discuss it with them and approach the teacher or school as a group.
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

llevine2934 wrote:The book had many important qualities that would be important to a kid growing up.
I agree that the quality in this book are really good for kids; however, I think it depends on the child if they are able to handle it. The maturity of the child plays a role in whether they are able to handle the themes, plot, and language used in the book. I read this at a young age (6th grade) and was fine, but some of my peers did not appreciate it as much until they were older.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Alexa_Fernandez

Post by Alexa_Fernandez »

Maybe your daughter is at an advanced reading level?
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Post by srm628 »

I remember I read it in 6th grade, but I was in an advanced reading class. I can definitely understand the concern. I'm reading it again in college for my Adolescent Literacy class and we talked about the negatives of the book. I think it's aimed for 7-12 grade level, according to TeachingBooks, which has a lot of cool information for teachers.
DocPower
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-docpower.html

Post by DocPower »

I read this in Year 8 (in Australia - I was 13 at the time). It was one of a few books I read at school that really stuck with me. The characters are deep and relatable, and the story really gives a lot to think about (and to discuss).

I always loved reading so getting into a book was nothing strange for me, but I definitely noticed that it really "drew in" the reluctant readers in my class as well.
Kailani_Fox
Currently Reading: The Navigator II
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kailani-fox.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Kailani_Fox »

Grade 5 is much too young to read this book. Although it is a great read, I feel as though it’s too mature of a book to give to a 5th grader and expect them to understand. The themes are too grown for them to absorb fully, and the amount of violence is a little too much.
lakensteele20

Post by lakensteele20 »

This book is a favorite of mine, not only to me but to most people I know. It's really just very good. If you've never read it, please do.
Kmykel
Favorite Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmykel.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 3525

Post by Kmykel »

I know this is an older thread, but I couldn't help but respond. I'm very against withholding books from children for any reason. If they think they can handle it, and you as a parent are willing to answer any questions, than I don't think a child is ever really "too young".

5th grade does seem a little young, but I was in 6th when my class went over it. It's a very powerful read for young students, it really captivated my entire class and we still had discussions of the book well into high school. It was my favorite book for a very long time. I don't think it impacted me negatively in any way, but if a child doesn't feel ready for the subject matter, they shouldn't be forced.
Bomeara_11

Post by Bomeara_11 »

Yes I agree,that at a young age this book was probably hard to comprehend. I read this book when I was in 8th grade, even so it was hard...But outsiders was a great read. :D [amazon=][*][/amazon]
Alyse2000+

Post by Alyse2000+ »

I read this book in the 7th grade and it is still one of my favorites to this day
jscarbs2000

Post by jscarbs2000 »

The book had inspired me since I was 13 to try and become more than what society makes a teenage girl seem.
Thanks to this book, I can show those who doubt me that I don't need to follow their rules. If the shoe fits, I'mma wear it!
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Thanks you for this. I read this in junior high, and though I didn't think much of it, I was impressed with the author's age when she wrote it. That was what inspired me to want to write, but until seeing this thread, the book and the author had been lost to memory.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I read this book when I was in 8th grade. I enjoyed the book very much at the time. It wasn’t assigned in school, I read it on my own. The subject matter may be advanced for 5th grade, but I think it would still be enjoyable especially with a teacher providing additional guidance through class discussions.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

E_Reads wrote: 28 Oct 2013, 00:57 My father read this to me when I was very young. (1st or 2nd grade) It is still my favorite book.
I would suggest reading it along with her. 5th graders today in her class are in all likelihood saying fouler things than in The Outsiders. It's unfortunate but true. I knew certain words weren't appropriate as I'm sure you've explained to your daughter.
I hope she doesn't miss out.
As a mother of a 9month old son and a strong reader at a young age I read this around 5th or 6th grade myself and I couldn't agree more with the statement above. Reading it along with your child not only lets you revisit a good classic but it gives your child a chance to understand from her parents what's right and wrong as well as ask any questions that she may not be comfortable asking a teacher in front of her peers

Return to “Classic Books”