Animal Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pdott+NS
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pdott-ns.html

Re: Animal Farm

Post by Pdott+NS »

I enjoyed this book on so many levels. As an animal lover I found the depictions of the different animals fun and realistic- if animals could talk. I'm not too interested in politics either but found it fascinating nonetheless.
kjmertsock
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjmertsock.html

Post by kjmertsock »

I think that animal farm is extremely relevant. I don't think that it focuses on any particular political group but more so how the ones in charge often forget about the welfare and wellbeing of those below them. Reminds me a lot of our society today.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Fran wrote:
mcs1040 wrote:A book that best discribes any dictatorial regime, be it left or right. That is why it was forbidden in the past in the countries of the communist block.
For sure - "power corrupts & absolute power corrupts absolutely"
That is definitely one lesson history teaches - whatever the regime, right wing or left wing. Unfortunately it is the nature of humans to fail to learn the lessons of history and thus we are condemned to repear it.

Too true. That is what is happening now. We are repeating our mistakes.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
cheridith

Post by cheridith »

animal farm creeped me out. I didnt get the underlyng meaning until my sophmore yr.
Lysithian
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysithian.html

Post by Lysithian »

Misa-Jane wrote:I first picked this book up when I was quite young and hadn't actually heard of it before (whether through youth or ignorance!) so I came to the story with no idea that it was political. Of course, I recognized some of the names, like Napoleon, but I really just read and enjoyed the book as an interesting story about anthropomorphic farm animals. I think the fact that you can read it without knowing much about politics, and without feeling like you are being preached to, is what has kept this book so popular. It is likely to continue to be read much longer than some of the more blatant satirical works that easily become dated. In this respect, I think Animal Farm is a lot like Gulliver's Travels: you don't have to focus on the satire and politics, but you can get a whole different perspective if you do.
Just like me! I read the book thinking it was just a neat talking animals book and then had to reread in HS and noooooo it's ruined! You mean it was political?! What?! I don't think I ever read it again after that class. :(
goldenmountains230
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Pimpernel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldenmountains230.html

Post by goldenmountains230 »

I thought that this book was an excellent one. But, at the same time, the context may be strong for some readers. George Orwell certainly hasn't written very easy reads. However, all stories by him, including this one, are very important to read. Considering the place they live in at the period and the governmental aspect, it can be educational in various ways. There should be an age limit for it though. Say, 13 and over. Before that, his stories may be too strong for children and they might not like the book simply because they dislike the maturity required for it and how the author represents the animals in his story. As long as you are mature enough for it and are readily prepared for this wonderful dystopia story, the story becomes a very pleasant read and we will all enjoy this more than we expect. :)
Marc Dizzy52

Post by Marc Dizzy52 »

This book was really powerful and really depict a human race.the fact that Napoleon could do such things to feel human.i still wonder what happened to snowball ,he wasn't killed..but this book certainly shows that power and not knowing your identity can get to your head certainly .but I enjoyed this book certainly .my teachers basically pounded this book into us.
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

Both my daughter and I read this book recently and found it very difficult to keep focused. It wasn't a favorite for either of us.
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell
SNOangel99

Post by SNOangel99 »

I had to read this book for a class that I was taking. This book was surprisingly good. The parallel between the pigs and the humans and the way the animals rallied together was really cool. I think one of the lessons in this story (which I totally took to heart) Is that while you may overcome your enemies you must be conscious of yourself so that you do not turn into them. Definitely a must read.
pinkandrose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinkandrose.html

Post by pinkandrose »

I really enjoyed this book.
It was fun to see how power transformed the pigs.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

This was one of my favorite books during high school. Orwell is so brilliant and simple in his style.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
spoiler2010
Favorite Author: William Shakespeare
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: The Castle by Franz Kafka
fav_author_id: 2482

Post by spoiler2010 »

As a hockey fan and celebrant of the four-Cup title reign of the New York Islanders (1980=83), I'll always think of All-Star center Bryan Trottier as being the Horse of that team. He probably averaged thirty minutes a game and was sent onto the ice in every hard situation. As four-time champs, they were big targets in every game they played. Bryan never once complained, stepped up to to meet every challenge, and was a shadow of himself after that reign had ended. I never forgot how they worked that Horse to death, and how we should always rise in protest anytime we see someone pushed and beyond just because 'THEY CAN'.
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Post by scriptbunny »

Cute parable for kids warning against the rise of populist-supported dictatorial regimes.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

Loved loved loves this book. I really like the way Orwell used the animals to make is point and to criticize Russia political system at the time.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

Lysithian wrote:
Misa-Jane wrote:I first picked this book up when I was quite young and hadn't actually heard of it before (whether through youth or ignorance!) so I came to the story with no idea that it was political. Of course, I recognized some of the names, like Napoleon, but I really just read and enjoyed the book as an interesting story about anthropomorphic farm animals. I think the fact that you can read it without knowing much about politics, and without feeling like you are being preached to, is what has kept this book so popular. It is likely to continue to be read much longer than some of the more blatant satirical works that easily become dated. In this respect, I think Animal Farm is a lot like Gulliver's Travels: you don't have to focus on the satire and politics, but you can get a whole different perspective if you do.
Just like me! I read the book thinking it was just a neat talking animals book and then had to reread in HS and noooooo it's ruined! You mean it was political?! What?! I don't think I ever read it again after that class. :(
Maybe this says something about me, but if it was just a "neat talking animals book" I wouldn't be interested. It's only good because it says something about history, politics, society, humanity...I don't want to be pseudy and pretentious, but isn't that, well, kind of the point of literature?
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Return to “Classic Books”