Animal Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Re: Animal Farm

Post by Kinnera »

I read this book in school because it was compulsory, but it took me a long time to realise the essence of this book.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
panaginip
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by panaginip »

Animal Farm by George Orwell will always be relevant. As a Filipino, we've had a dictatorship in our history. And right now, with the current administration, it's almost happening again. English class here doesn't have required reading, and I wished there was so more young people will be educated.
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

Animal farm is a depiction of our society though the eys of George Orwell. I have never forgotten how Napoleon changed their laws by saying that all animals are equal but some are more equal than others.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I liked this book but it also freaked me out. I mean just the resemblances with how our society is and goes was kinda scary for me.
Alesive
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alesive »

It sound like A good book, its classical and It could teach you alot
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I loved the fact that this book had so many levels. When I first read it, it was when I had no idea about the Russian History or the fact that it was based on it. So, I had read it thinking it was about animals and thoroughly enjoyed it. Years later, after I had read up on some history, I picked this book again. Oh my! I could pick out themes and dialogues that were on point, and I found myself admiring the wonderful story telling.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I think that Animal Farm is a good book and enjoyed the themes in it as well.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

My 12-year-old enjoyed this book when I read it to him. He thought it was about animals. I think this is one of those books that should be read and loved as a story first and then as an incisive allegory second. I read this book in high school because it was part of the curriculum. It was taught page by page as allegory, so we found ourselves not enjoying the story or getting the secret but learning about and memorizing Russian historical figures (bla,bla,bla).

If we had read it as a story first, thoroughly enjoyed it, put it in our minds, and then learned about Russian history, it would have felt like an amazing secret discovery.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

We read this at school, I think some people make the mistake of thinking that a book with talking animals will be cute and sweet. It’s not. In fact, I found this story more upsetting than 1984. I cried when Boxer was sent to the knackers yard. While I would say that the book has an important message, I wouldn’t say that I enjoyed it.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Pdott+NS wrote: 04 Oct 2013, 13:48 I enjoyed this book on so many levels. As an animal lover I found the depictions of the different animals fun and realistic- if animals could talk. I'm not too interested in politics either but found it fascinating nonetheless.
You got me thinking about Animal Farm purely from an aesthetic point of view, and I think it would make a great animated show, probably meant for older teens.
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

It's a book that will always be relevant, because people will always try to justify their actions.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

CaitlinGonya wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 14:29 I liked this book but it also freaked me out. I mean just the resemblances with how our society is and goes was kinda scary for me.
That's the point - but as individuals, it can feel suffocating to be aware of societal problems with no obvious way to impart change.
TheHolyHellbound
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TheHolyHellbound »

Read this in 9th grade, and was highly confused as to who people think it was so complex. By the time most books are "coming of age" metaphors, it is far to late for these books to be considered legible for a young person. So for some one who has already conteplated death in any form, this book was very boring. By the time you have to think of young children doing the killing, the horror of the book is more in the violence of young children, and the anger and fascination of an adult.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I read this for the first time in grade school. I didn't understand the underlying ideas until I re-read it in high school and when I read it now, I find it so relatable everytime.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

George Owell is a great writer. His foresight in using animals in this book is awesome. I love this book on many levels. It shows the many evils and injustices prevalent in our society. Its book I can relate with anytime any day.

Return to “Classic Books”