Animal Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kutlee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutlee.html
Latest Review: Inviting Muslims to Christ by Randall Ireland

Re: Animal Farm

Post by kutlee »

Gorge Orwell. I read this book in my literature class 15 years ago...and it still interests me. Politicians still behave more like there counterparts of heretofore. Great lessons to pick here.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

The first time I even heard about this book was when I watched the X-Men cartoon from the 90s, Beast was reading it in his prison cell and wanted to see if it was real. So glad I looked into it.
Invisible girl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-invisible-girl.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Invisible girl »

A thought-provoking read!
Found this book a few years ago, while looking for some short stories. I was fascinated by the title and decided to read. I like the use of animals as a metaphor to explain human behaviour and greed for power. The allegory hits you in the face and forces you to think about government and humans in general.
It's a great book and a must-read for everyone.
Stlin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stlin »

Animal farm has a great story line and is so interesting and intriguing to follow it is one of those books where you see the characters come to life.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I haven't read this book in years but I remember having a hard time deciphering the political aspect of it. We had to write a report on it or do a presentation. And I found it very difficult to wrap my head around.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

This book is great because of how it works on multiple levels. It works well as a political allegory and as a standalone story of power and irony among animals.
jknight885
Currently Reading: Feel Free
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jknight885.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by jknight885 »

It's a perfect set-up to go on and read 1984. In my opinion, 1984 is best read directly after Animal Farm - it makes it so much more eloquent.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

Like many here, I read it during high school and I barely remembered it and appreciated it. Just recently I was doing some cleaning and I found it and immediately read it again!
Such a good story that is relevant to today's world, and even without the political implications, it can still be read as an impactful story in its own right.
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
Earle Remington
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Earle Remington »

I love the plethora of symbolism in this book. By portraying the Soviet Union in a farm setting, George Orwell frames history as a story (which it sort of is), allowing readers to explore and take away the key themes and lessons provided by the time period, but disconnected from reality. This format makes considering these political and moral questions so much easier.
Hannah-Marie

Post by Hannah-Marie »

I thoroughly enjoyed this read. I'd been meaning to read it a long time ago and now with all this ample time on my hands, found myself diving into the Animal Farm world. I'm usually into more historical fiction or drama related titles but I was adequately satisfied with the ironic and slightly charming plot of Animal Farm. My most challenging obstacle while reading was to remember all the names! :lol2: Definitely a glimpse into political machines and extreme anthropomorphism that certainly evokes thought to the reader. I found myself asking questions like, "Does this relate to how I personally act around others?", "In a tyrannical and totalitarian situation like this, would I react in a similar manner?", and "Which of the animals do I identify most with?". I would recommend this book to any middle or high school student who is looking for a relatively short and easy read, but it is still a wonderful book for older audiences as well.
Che Sparrowbosa
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-che-sparrowbosa.html
Latest Review: Provoked To Anger by Cheray Gardison

Post by Che Sparrowbosa »

I read this book in I think my second or third year of high school it was on m my reading list and we read and discussed it as a class together. Not much else to say on this book other than it was great especially for young teens and the ending was my favorite part. The whole essence of the other animals looking on at what their comrades had become on how they became just what they were fighting against.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I read this book when I was 13 years old for a book report. Back then, I couldn't understand the underlying message about politics. I did understand how the animals were fighting over things that were important to their lives.
Lazzarotto
Currently Reading:

Post by Lazzarotto »

I think it is amazing how he made the idea progression throughout the book.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

yapashley wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 04:24 I read this book when I was 13 years old for a book report. Back then, I couldn't understand the underlying message about politics. I did understand how the animals were fighting over things that were important to their lives.
I read it for school when I was younger too & a lot of it went over my head. I need to reread it for this reason!!
joenduga12
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joenduga12.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by joenduga12 »

I started hearing about the book, Animal Farm by George Orwell for some time now. But I never knew that its going to be that interesting. Nice book. I will consider reading it.

Return to “Classic Books”