Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SydKS37
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydks37.html

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Post by SydKS37 »

I read this awhile ago, and thought it was absolutely amazing. Pip's transformation from the beginning of the book to the end are so interesting, and when the tale comes to a close, and all the twists are revealed. I would recommend this book to anyone, it's definitely a wonderful read.
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

I read the short movie version of the book, can't find it to tell you who the author is.
I thought it was absolutely amazing! Very good story line... I am very keen on reading the Charles Dickens copy, I imagine the writing to be more intricate, more techniques.
kfagan-14
Currently Reading: Darkness Falling
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfagan-14.html
Latest Review: "When Dragons Die" by Mark Franzosa

Post by kfagan-14 »

I definately agree this is an amazing book. Dickens has a way of bringing his characters to life, showing the different aspects of thier personalities and really making you care about them.
Latest Review: "When Dragons Die" by Mark Franzosa
dgerszewski

Post by dgerszewski »

I love Dickens and also enjoyed Great Expectations, but I find that David Copperfield does a better job of showing the personal growths of a character and the characters in the book seemed to me to be more developed.
SURY
Favorite Author: Saul Bellow
Favorite Book: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 7473

Post by SURY »

SydKS37 wrote:I read this awhile ago, and thought it was absolutely amazing. Pip's transformation from the beginning of the book to the end are so interesting, and when the tale comes to a close, and all the twists are revealed. I would recommend this book to anyone, it's definitely a wonderful read.
I have heard the book being praised. Unfortunately, I have not been able to read it so far. But I have read "A Tale of Two Cities". It is one my favourite books.
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

I really liked the book. Did anyone see the recent film adaptation? It was alright but they changed some bits to make the story more complicated which I thought was unnecessary.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
Jkrasy
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkrasy.html
Latest Review: "Killing Nazis" by Nikos Kalpakis

Post by Jkrasy »

I have been wanting to read this book, or just any Dickens. I need to get on that.
Latest Review: "Killing Nazis" by Nikos Kalpakis
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

My volume of the book had two endings, the original and the altered ending for publication. I'm not sure which one was better, but it showed different takes on the resolution of the relationship between Pip and Estella.
holuby3372
Currently Reading:

Post by holuby3372 »

Read it in high school. I homeschool my kids and its on the top of my must read list.
Sveta
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sveta.html
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen

Post by Sveta »

I couldn't get past the middle of the book :(
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen
cprock81

Post by cprock81 »

This is probably my favorite Dickens book. Each character is motivated by so many different things and are interconnected to such an interesting manner. I have actually always loved the character of Miss Havisham. Here is a woman who could never really move on in her own life and doesn't think about the young lives that she is hurting now. Yes, she is angry but she is also just really sad and lost as a character.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

I love the vibrant and descriptive writing of Dickens. Great Expectations included. I love how the characters and their stories intertwine throughout the novel. I have found this playing out in my own life. My only complaint would be that it feels like Dickens rushed the end of the story, like he lost his interest or motivation
DanBR

Post by DanBR »

GKCfan wrote:My volume of the book had two endings, the original and the altered ending for publication. I'm not sure which one was better, but it showed different takes on the resolution of the relationship between Pip and Estella.
Interesting. What was the other ending? I'd love to know.
Lozalot4890
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lozalot4890.html

Post by Lozalot4890 »

I read this book for my A levels. I enjoyed seeing Pip grow up and his life experiences. A great read!
aliciawilson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliciawilson.html
Latest Review: "The Prince Nightmare" by Goodwill Ogbuefi

Post by aliciawilson »

It's not my favorite Dickens, but I did really enjoy this book. I read it for my freshman English class in high school and ended up finishing it before we were halfway through the discussion.
Latest Review: "The Prince Nightmare" by Goodwill Ogbuefi

Return to “Classic Books”