Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Phyllissimmons
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Post by Phyllissimmons »

Read this many years ago. I love all if Dickens books. Could read them over and over again. ALL of them!
Sunshinemelody3

Post by Sunshinemelody3 »

Great Expectations-Charles Dickens
I read this book for my high school English class this year, I personally was not a fan of this novel for personal reasons, but the book was well written and was a good read. Pip’s transformation and journey to find himself (as that is what it really was) was quite fascinating. Most characters were very intriguing and interesting with their own developments. I do have to say that the originally written ending makes much more sense and is a lot more likely to have been what should have happened. Though I’ve heard that most perfer the second ending. What do you think about the endings?
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

Great Expectations is one of my all-time favorites. As time passes and the plot develops, the way the reader perceives each character shifts. For instance, in the beginning, Abel Magwitch is painted as a vile vagabond, but as his character develops he's no longer perceived as a villain, but someone that is worthy of sympathy. Pip is introduced at the innocent age of seven. He's an orphan, beaten regularly by his sister. He lives a hard life and dreams of becoming a blacksmith. After an anonymous benefactor enters his life, he becomes wealthy at a cost to his character. Pip becomes obsessed with how a gentleman should live, and as a result becomes arrogant, entitled, and selfish. He loses all of his monetary gains and is transformed into a character that evokes disgust. By the end of the novel, Pip is back at his old childhood home, a completely changed person, humbled by life experience. It takes a genius of a writer to be able to develop such a strong plot while writing such well-rounded characters.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

SydKS37 wrote: 02 Nov 2012, 22:00 I read this awhile ago, and thought it was absolutely amazing. Pip's transformation from the beginning of the book to the end are so interesting, and when the tale comes to a close, and all the twists are revealed. I would recommend this book to anyone, it's definitely a wonderful read.
I keep meaning to read this, especially since its always referenced in popular culture. I need to work on expanding my scope of interest
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
verse7

Post by verse7 »

somewhere in 1997-98 that way, i had the opportunity to have this book. i read it and got me thinking. a friend of mine took it from me to read it but till now he has decided not to give it back. Its a great book and i recommend more print out
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Chandler_Greg »

Finally just read this recently. It's been on my "to read" list forever. I always enjoy Dickens' secondary characters more than his protagonists. Mrs. Havisham is a truly fascinating character. When the various threads start to get resolved at the end, it changes much of what you know about her. I don't remember the name, but the lawyer's clerk who has built his father a castle complete with drawbridge and cannon is a wonderful character. What is amazing about Dickens is that he populates his books with so many of these odd, interesting and memorable characters.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I also really enjoyed this book. It made me want to read more Dickens.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

A superb book! Miss Havisham is one of my all time favourite characters, her refusal to accept her fate and the way in which she twists Stella to her own warped sense of what men are and what they do continues to enthral me.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

Sveta wrote: 31 Aug 2013, 01:04 I couldn't get past the middle of the book :(
Same. It took my trying to read the books three times to finish it. I never understood the hype. But I can respect anyone that enjoys his work. I somehow just find it bland. But I was younger when I tried, a Freshman in high school, if I ever reread it I may enjoy it more now that I'm older.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

The story of the book is simply amazing. I didn't read it because it's a huge one but I know the story. It is really fabulous.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I love Great Expectations by Charles Dickens as it was wonderful following the journey of the characters as they grew and found their purpose.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I was a straight-A student and this was assigned to us in high school and at the time I thought it was too boring to finish. Maybe I will revisit it someday.

Post by 0796667937 »

This is an amazing book to read,the characters are lively .My worry was Dickens rushed to finish the story .
However all credits ,worth reading
Betykm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Betykm »

Sounds amazing...am considering my options
AsaadDouchmani

Post by AsaadDouchmani »

This book is one of Charles Dicken's best written pieces, and one of his first publishment in 1886. I loved this book because you feel pretty much into the story in each page, how he reveals the characters and specially the protagonist of the story "pip" and the augmented changes in his life. since he met the man he helped on the marshes who made him a Gentelman in further chapters. The title give us a close sight on the authors vision as it show us Pip's expectation of wealth , and his expectations of having Estella.

Return to “Classic Books”