Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by DATo »

Jane Austin from a man's point of view. (An excellent essay by William Deresiewicz in American Scholar Sept. 2017)

A Jane Austen Kind of Guy
theamericanscholar.org/a-jane-austen-ki ... d-of-guy/#

"I get it that women find my affinity for their writer intrusive, but her world has much to offer men, too."
- William Deresiewicz
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Basya
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basya.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Basya »

Pride and Prejudice has everything: romance, humor, plot twists, discoveries, and whatever else makes a story timeless and memorable. Even though the language is different from what we are used to, this book is a gem.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

Pride and Prejudice is a really good book. I admire Elizabeth's personality and stubbornness so very much. I think what makes this book great is that Jane Austen never married and supported herself. Showing her own brand of stubbornness and determination
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Oh to have time to write, no housework, no scratching for a living, no kids to support, transport etc etc. Jane had it so good, even if she did have to use pen and paper instead of thumping away on a computer keyboard. TIME! The most precious thing in the world!
JudyJo
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judyjo.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by JudyJo »

It's quite different, isn't it? Watching a made-for-the-screen version and reading the actual real "script" of a story. This is one novel that deserves the category of classic! I love the story itself (having read it first as a teenager) and I love just about every version of movie and television series that has been produced. It's one of my top 5 that I can read over and over again and never tire of! I hope you find it just as enthralling.
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by dhwanis »

This book has a very special place in my heart, simply because this was the first classic that I picked up. I fell in love with the wonderful world.
Yas_fall

Post by Yas_fall »

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin is definitely a must read book. I read it so many times and still love it. Sure you'll enjoy it! Good luck :lol:
Ellibell22

Post by Ellibell22 »

This is by far one of my favorites.the way that the story line is written is a beautiful but mad love story between two people who barely know how to love themselves. Elizabeth is a perfect character stubbornest and all.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I love Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It is definitely a classic.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Sadia Sheikh 78692
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Sadia Sheikh 78692 »

My favourite book of all time after Harry Potter of course 😂😂. I use its examples in life all the time. Love it
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

This is definitely one of the books that should be on everyone list. It's funny, smart and you can relate to characters even though it's from completely different era. It is one of my all time favourites.
msteen99

Post by msteen99 »

The whole idea of leadership and family roles played out is absolutely amazing. From Mr. Bennet who can’t discipline his children to Mrs. Bennet who meddles so much that it causes everyone great pain. The consequences of these actions are seen throughout to book. Such as the pain Jane is caused by her mother’s meddling and need for attention. The good examples of leadership coming from Elizabeth and Darcy. As Elizabeth continued to encourage Darcy to make amends with his aunt and took care of Lydia. Or as Darcy did his best to remedy Lydia’s situation with Whickham. Both of them continue to grow in their relationships and make each other better . Although this idea may not be the main theme it is a definite subtheme that deserves more recognition.
Neon1124

Post by Neon1124 »

The book foretells about an amazing love story, which delightfully focuses on how wonderful life would be to nurture and take care of. Elizabeth depicts the character of a strong and brave woman, despite of the many challenges, still, she is standing and pursuing her goals.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

This is one of my favorite books. I came to it from a rerun of the BBC adaptation and fell in love with the writing style and the story itself. I love the way the characters speak; it's like poetry.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SparklesonPages »

Pride and Prejudice is one of Jane Austen's many masterpieces. I haven't reread it in many years but just looking at the book cover in your post gives me the tingles all over to jump into an Austen creation. I'll be adding this to my TBR list soon ! Hope it's going well for you. I know Jane Austen isn't every one's cup of tea.

Return to “Classic Books”