Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nliss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by Nliss »

An additional note on the use of Sir. There were and are still many different titles for the nobility in Austen's time. In a addition to indicating a knight, Sir is also used for baronetcy as is seen in another of Jane Austen's novels Persuasion, which is tied with Pride and Prejudice as my favorite. Lady is still the correct title for the wife of a baronet.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I know this one is the most widely read books of Jane Austen...but I personally enjoyed Persuasion better.
MrsDarcy
Currently Reading: Sense and Sensibility
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsdarcy.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by MrsDarcy »

I'm so excited for you! Pride and Prejudice is my favorite classic novel, if my username didn't already hint at that lol. The 2005 film adaptation is really great too, I highly recommend watching it :)
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

This book is a wonderful read for so many reasons! While I read it, I kept a notebook handy and listed all the words I wasn't familiar with. I looked up definitions as I went, (which slowed things down a bit) and later would try to remember the definitions as I went through my list. The ones I couldn't remember, I looked up again. It was just a little exercise I was trying out to get used to expanding my vocabulary. Period pieces have so much to offer that aren't very common in today's literary world.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I love Jane Austen's nuanced and subtle wit and comedy of manners. She was a keen observer and silent critic of her times.
maggiexmagz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiexmagz.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by maggiexmagz »

Oh my gosh. This book is definitely difficult, but please don't give up! It is one of my favorite books of all time, so I promise it will be worth it to finish.

Anything by Jane Austen is actually a guilty pleasure of mine - I usually go for sci-fi/fantasy or young adult emo books, so it takes a special mindset for me. Plus, all of my other literature savvy friends laugh at me for loving it.

Additionally, this is one of the few books that have a decent movie adaptation in my opinion. The version with Keira Knightly is really accurate and doesn't take too many liberties. I've heard that the Colin Firth version is also really good, I haven't watched it yet though..
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I think Pride and Prejudice is quite an easy read because the story rattles along at a pace.
I’ve never really understood why the lack of male heirs is such a problem. Mr Collins is related down the female line ( he doesn’t have the same surname). So as soon as one of the daughters has a son, Mr Collins will become second in line behind the son. The only problem would arise if Mr Bennett died young before the daughters had families.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I love this book and think it's great but somewhat hard to read, to finally recognize most of the critical parts that make it so good and such a timeless story. I think I read it two or three times before I felt satisfied and like I hadn't missed anything. I personally feel Austen was very perceptive of the life around her and had a beautiful way of critiquing it, although it is sometimes subtle and you can miss it.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
vernice0103

Post by vernice0103 »

:techie-studyinggray: That book is so gorgeous. I remember the first time I read it, I was still in highschool. I struggled, lots of difficulties to understand well the book, and so college days came and I have this literature subject and we need to choose a book to read and make a report of in front our class. We only got a month to do it. I don't know why, but Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice's immediately came to my mind. Ang that's it! Boom! You wouldn't believe, I nailed the report. Ms. Jane Austen, would really go deep into your soul and personality through her books. And this title, is a must read. Can I just share to you my favorite qoute from it?

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
Ebonez_nahmi
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebonez-nahmi.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ebonez_nahmi »

This book was amazing! I loved it and every adaptation of it I've seen or read. :lol:
KatrinaP
Currently Reading: Tempest's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katrinap.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by KatrinaP »

I read this book all the time! Not only is it simply a fantastic book, but it is also one of those stories that is relentlessly hopeful, so it buoys you up every time you read it. The Bennet family dynamics are so rich, they feel very real, and the two central love stories are each so unique. Jane and Mr. Bingley are sweet and simple, and it is so painful when circumstances conspire to keep them apart. Lizzy and Mr. Darcy are nuanced and complex, and you root for Lizzy to give him a piece of her mind one minute and the next you are pulling for them to realize they are perfect for one another. This book is a classic for very good reason!
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I remember reading this book a long time ago in my high school. It was part of my literature reads then and i couldn't understand a lot of things in the book. Now that I'm much older and hopefully wiser, i have to read it again.
Hannahing

Post by Hannahing »

OMG! I read this book a very long time ago. I loved it so much.
Kay87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kay87.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Kay87 »

Is it sad that I love this book to the point that I search for similar stories and watch the movie regularly? No. Ok. Great well then I absolutely love this book, story, and characters.
NSehra
Currently Reading: Cinderella and Colonel
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by NSehra »

Pride and Prejudice is one of those few books I keep going back to :D
It can never bore me. I've even watched all the drama and movie versions of it.
2005 movie being my favorite!

Return to “Classic Books”