Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
believe03
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (spoilers)

Post by believe03 » 28 Dec 2015, 22:06

Yes!! This is one of my all-time favorites. The writing style is beautiful and mysterious. I love all of her books.

jstriker
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jstriker.html
Latest Review: "The Circle Now Is Made" by Mac Fletcher

Post by jstriker » 17 Feb 2016, 15:56

The first time I read Rebecca, I was a teenager obsessed with mysteries and I was swept up in the narrator's world, experiencing her emotions with her - surprise at Max DeWinter's interest in her, carried away with their quick love affair and even quicker marriage, confused and cowed by Mrs. Danvers, and intrigued by the mysterious Rebecca. It was beautiful and dark, and the gothic gloom never quite clears, even for the narrator's present day experiences.
I keep going back to this book, and reading it now, as an adult, I feel even more connected with the narrator, as she, too is more mature, reflecting on the tumultuous beginning of her marriage with all the wisdom of the years since then. The beginning of their relationship, when seen through that lens, is bittersweet.
Latest Review: "The Circle Now Is Made" by Mac Fletcher

JeannieHallAuthor
Currently Reading: First Grave on the Right
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by JeannieHallAuthor » 01 Apr 2016, 20:11

I really enjoyed Rebecca until the very end. Maybe it was because I made the mistake of watching the movie first, I don't know. But it ended so abruptly. I was at a loss. I loved it throughout - the gothic creepiness of it all. I felt bad for the new wife. But when I read the last page, I thought I got a book with some pages missing or something. I actually went to a book store to look at another copy, I was that sure something was wrong. The fire from the movie was barely alluded to. In fact, I'm sure if I hadn't seen the movie first, I would've missed the fire altogether. Every time the protagonist mentions the remains of Waverly, it's been destroyed, but the specifics aren't fully explored. Was anyone else left a little befuddled at the ending?

victoria48
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Post by victoria48 » 02 Apr 2016, 03:45

Loved this book.

She is an amazingg writer.I have read a few from her and like someone else mentioned, her short story. The Birds,inspired the making of the movie by Alfred Hitchcock.

tortoise keeper
2017 Reading Goal: 45
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper » 09 May 2016, 09:39

I read Rebecca when I was young after finding it on my grandmother's book shelf. I remember being completely captivated by the story and was unaware that I was reading a "classic" as someone else mentioned. When I found out later that it was considered to be extremely well written literature I began to try other books that I might have not given a second look.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

victoria48
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Post by victoria48 » 09 May 2016, 09:53

I know what you mean,its awesome when you ccoome upon a great gem and its now. Attached to a special memory.
She made broken look beautiful
and strong look invincible.
She walked with the Universe
on her shoulders and made it
look like a pair of wings.
Ariana Dancu

TamSan
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamsan.html

Post by TamSan » 18 Aug 2016, 14:15

My seventh grade teacher recommended this to me, but I could never get into it. It was a little slow in the beginning. I read earlier this year, and I loved it! Glad i gave it another chance. I couldn't put it down, I had to find out what was going on. I cried for the second wife, Daphnes writing made me feel her frustration and sadness at feeling second rate in her husbands eyes. I was so shocked at his confession!! Its definitely a great read! I've never read any of her others, so couldn't give you an opinion on those. Sorry.
Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. -Max Ehermann

Ravenna

Post by Ravenna » 28 Aug 2016, 14:41

I read Rebecca a couple of years ago after it was recommended to me, and I fell in love with the mystery that was portrayed throughout the story.

lily_kh87
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: "I Was Murdered Last Night" by A. J. Gallant

Post by lily_kh87 » 28 Sep 2016, 14:36

I read it in high school and I really enjoyed it. I would love to see the movie.
Latest Review: "I Was Murdered Last Night" by A. J. Gallant

Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Eyes of the predator
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari » 06 Jul 2018, 10:32

I have been an admirer of this book since I read it. This is an excellent read for anybody who relishes a solid mystery, keeps you glued till the end.

garima597
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 » 17 Jul 2018, 11:56

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I had completed this book in just two days. The mysterious nature of Rebecca's character which threatened the position of new mrs de winter is spectacular. It is all in all an amazing book. My all time favorite book.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Classic Books”