Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
believe03
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (spoilers)

Post by believe03 »

Yes!! This is one of my all-time favorites. The writing style is beautiful and mysterious. I love all of her books.
jstriker
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jstriker.html
Latest Review: "The Circle Now Is Made" by Mac Fletcher

Post by jstriker »

The first time I read Rebecca, I was a teenager obsessed with mysteries and I was swept up in the narrator's world, experiencing her emotions with her - surprise at Max DeWinter's interest in her, carried away with their quick love affair and even quicker marriage, confused and cowed by Mrs. Danvers, and intrigued by the mysterious Rebecca. It was beautiful and dark, and the gothic gloom never quite clears, even for the narrator's present day experiences.
I keep going back to this book, and reading it now, as an adult, I feel even more connected with the narrator, as she, too is more mature, reflecting on the tumultuous beginning of her marriage with all the wisdom of the years since then. The beginning of their relationship, when seen through that lens, is bittersweet.
Latest Review: "The Circle Now Is Made" by Mac Fletcher
JeannieHallAuthor
Currently Reading: First Grave on the Right
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by JeannieHallAuthor »

I really enjoyed Rebecca until the very end. Maybe it was because I made the mistake of watching the movie first, I don't know. But it ended so abruptly. I was at a loss. I loved it throughout - the gothic creepiness of it all. I felt bad for the new wife. But when I read the last page, I thought I got a book with some pages missing or something. I actually went to a book store to look at another copy, I was that sure something was wrong. The fire from the movie was barely alluded to. In fact, I'm sure if I hadn't seen the movie first, I would've missed the fire altogether. Every time the protagonist mentions the remains of Waverly, it's been destroyed, but the specifics aren't fully explored. Was anyone else left a little befuddled at the ending?
victoria48

Post by victoria48 »

Loved this book.

She is an amazingg writer.I have read a few from her and like someone else mentioned, her short story. The Birds,inspired the making of the movie by Alfred Hitchcock.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I read Rebecca when I was young after finding it on my grandmother's book shelf. I remember being completely captivated by the story and was unaware that I was reading a "classic" as someone else mentioned. When I found out later that it was considered to be extremely well written literature I began to try other books that I might have not given a second look.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
victoria48

Post by victoria48 »

I know what you mean,its awesome when you ccoome upon a great gem and its now. Attached to a special memory.
She made broken look beautiful
and strong look invincible.
She walked with the Universe
on her shoulders and made it
look like a pair of wings.
Ariana Dancu
TamSan
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamsan.html

Post by TamSan »

My seventh grade teacher recommended this to me, but I could never get into it. It was a little slow in the beginning. I read earlier this year, and I loved it! Glad i gave it another chance. I couldn't put it down, I had to find out what was going on. I cried for the second wife, Daphnes writing made me feel her frustration and sadness at feeling second rate in her husbands eyes. I was so shocked at his confession!! Its definitely a great read! I've never read any of her others, so couldn't give you an opinion on those. Sorry.
Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. -Max Ehermann
Ravenna

Post by Ravenna »

I read Rebecca a couple of years ago after it was recommended to me, and I fell in love with the mystery that was portrayed throughout the story.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I read it in high school and I really enjoyed it. I would love to see the movie.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I have been an admirer of this book since I read it. This is an excellent read for anybody who relishes a solid mystery, keeps you glued till the end.
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I had completed this book in just two days. The mysterious nature of Rebecca's character which threatened the position of new mrs de winter is spectacular. It is all in all an amazing book. My all time favorite book.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Rebecca is a fantastic book. There's so much tension created with very simple interactions. I find it interesting that we never learn the first name of the second Mrs. de Winter.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

bookmadgirlie wrote: 12 Jan 2012, 05:37 I read this book a few weeks ago for the first time, and I watched the film last weekend, and I absolutely love the book. It is the perfect combination of Gothic elements, and romance, and horror. I fell in love with it. Anyone else?
Yes, it is my most favourite book after Wuthering Heights. Daphne Du Maurier is one of my most favourite authors. I had once received the entire boxset of her books on my birthday and I consider it to be the best gift I ever got. If you loved Rebecca, I would suggest you follow it up with "The Key to Rebecca" by Ken Follet. It is based on clues hidden in the book, much like the Da Vinci code. I am sure you would love it.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

This is one of my all time favorite novels. I love the Gothic romance, the vivid imagery, and the whole mystery of Manderley and Rebecca. Mrs. Danvers is super creepy, and the nameless protagonist is fascinating. Something else that I really liked in this novel is the symbolism. From Manderley to Rebecca's room to the different flowers, the symbols added so much more depth to the already exciting and provocative mystery. Daphne du Maurier is such a gifted writer, and Alfred Hitchcock's film is great too!
Sammy822
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy822.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Post by Sammy822 »

I absolutely love the book for its uniqueness. I have never come across a novel in which the protagonist's name is not revealed but that does not diminish her influence on the reader.

Return to “Classic Books”