Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
salberson 10
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Re: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (spoilers)

Post by salberson 10 »

One of the best books of all time - read everything she has written because I loved it so much!!! The imagery she creates is amazing.
Salma Siddiqui
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-siddiqui.html

Post by Salma Siddiqui »

Great book! Max's confession made me gasp when I read it for the first time. I can see how the book would be less enjoyable the second time because the reader already knows the shocking twist but I still love traveling with the naive Mrs. de Winter as she attempts to settle in Manderley. The costume party is always as upsetting as it is the first time, though. And Mrs. Danvers is a swift villain with a deft hand! I love that about Rebecca, because the villain is not a rampaging lunatic with a gun. Danvers is much more subtle and perhaps even more depraved.
bunnypeach1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunnypeach1.html

Post by bunnypeach1 »

LOVE this novel as well! I have read almost everything by Daphne du Maurier my other fav is My Cousin Rachel. Has anyone read the sequel called Mrs. Dewinter? It's by a different author and I'm not sure it would be as good....
Charlotte Reese
Currently Reading: A Year in Provence
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-reese.html

Post by Charlotte Reese »

@Artemisl14

Cecilia. Yes! I think the name suits her perfectly. :)
mkshorten
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkshorten.html

Post by mkshorten »

The first time I read this book was my freshman year in high school, and what I remember is that it was the only book we read all year that the whole class liked. I loved it, and I've read it a few times since. I tried to read My Cousin Rachel and was really disappointed to not like it, but I still want to read Jamaica Inn someday.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I loved this book when I read it. The author's writing style conveyed the story in the book in such a way, that the reader would become emotionally involved in reading what happens next. This book is definitely worth reading.
Chris Dutton
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-dutton.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La

Post by Chris Dutton »

Read this for the first time when it was utterly outside of the type of material I was reading.... And was blown away by it.

More recently, and I have a far larger reading spectrum now, I've read frenchmans creek and Jamaica inn. She threads a story together in a most subtle fashion that iits beautiful.

-- 28 Feb 2015, 23:56 --

It was the first 'classic' I ever read voluntarily. I absolutely love it, it's dark and tragic and offers a brightness. Jamaica inn and frenchnans creek are also brilliant, Jamaica inn on a par with Rebecca.

Her female charactes are, I suspect, about the best in literature of any ever. EVER!

Need to read my cousin Rachel...
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La
bookworm_2013
Currently Reading: Boston Girl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm-2013.html

Post by bookworm_2013 »

I read Rebecca some years back and fell in love with the book.
I still remeber the eerie excitement I felt as I started to read 'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again' .
EricaB
Currently Reading: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericab.html

Post by EricaB »

Charlotte Reese wrote:I love how the narrator, the 2nd Mrs. De Winter, seemed to be a colorless personality, a shrinking violet but inside she's sensitive and very imaginative. I was a painfully shy and very awkward teen the first time I read the book so I identified strongly with her. I liked it that we never knew her name, only that Maxim described it as a " very lovely and unusual name." I've tried thinking up of names that would suit her. How about you guys? Any suggestions? :-)

See, when I read it the lack of name didn't strike me as a lack of name. To me Daphne was what her name was, because it is a very lovely and unusual name, and the lack of naming her seemed to make it so personal. I didn't bond with the character, but I did feel like I got a glimpse into De Maurier.
Khushi
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushi.html
Latest Review: "Harvest" by Beth Martinu
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Khushi »

bookworm_2013 wrote:I read Rebecca some years back and fell in love with the book.
I still remeber the eerie excitement I felt as I started to read 'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again' .
I too loved the way the book started. The first line as u said makes u feel the melancholy, the haunting , languid sadness of the book, which is not a conventional tragic-end-tear-jerker. Felt it the first time I read this book years ago and since then have seen several movies based on the book and enjoyed them all ! :) Beautiful story
Latest Review: "Harvest" by Beth Martinu
booklover_0413
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-0413.html

Post by booklover_0413 »

This. Book. Though. I am a sucker for long ago and far away. This Book has everything I've ever wanted.
From the very beginning I was captivated just by the style of writing and the picture she paints. I loved everything from the way the character thought ( exactly like I would) to the adventure to the suspense. As I was reading I found myself wishing I had a morning room. This Book was so relatable, I couldn't help but to remember all those times I'd been in love and yet still wondered if I knew the person.
I always seem to judge a book based on how engulfed I become. By how easily my mood changes with the mood of the main character. This was one of those books in which I found myself searching for something even though in real life I had nothing to solve. I would find myself extatic at that first feeling of new love and a new home, paranoid that there was something I didn't know, and suspicious yet loyal. Everything Mrs. DeWinter was going through, I was too.
I found this book on a list of must read classics and never in a million years would I have picked it up otherwise, but I am very glad I did. I loved it and I recommend it to everyone that is looking for a good book.
Eyre-thee-well
Favorite Author: Kate Morton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2881">Jane Eyre</a>
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyre-thee-well.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4893

Post by Eyre-thee-well »

I also read Rebecca in high school at the suggestion of my sophomore literature teacher. I was so glad that I followed the suggestion because it has always been one of my favorites. I quickly found several other DuMaurier novels and loved them as well. My Cousin Rachel is another of my favorites. I vaguely remember Jamaica Inn and the Scapegoat (also on Netflix). In fact, when I saw The Scapegoat on Netflix, I thought the story sounded somewhat familiar and realized it to be DuMaurier' s story. But Rebecca will probably always remain in my top 5 list.
xRekani

Post by xRekani »

I first read Rebecca back in my freshman year of high school, it was for a book, report and it was kind of out of a whim (because we could choose which books to read out of a list). I'm so glad that I did because I instantly fell in love with it. Daphne du Maurier is a fantastic writer and how the story unfolds itself, is quite amazing. I was very surprised by the twist at the end, it is only when you realized what REALLY happened to Rebecca do you see the subtle hints throughout the story. All the characters are fleshed out perfectly and the final scene between Mrs. Dewinter and Maxim is very heartwarming! I believe the movie did the book justice, they had to change the ending, because back then no one was allowed to commit a crime without A) dying or B) going to prison - so obviously it had to be an accident. Either way Rebecca will always be one of my personal favorites.
NanMarie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanmarie.html

Post by NanMarie »

Loved Rebecca and Jamaica Inn, but my favorite by this author is "My Cousin Rachel". Such a fantastic and visual storyteller! It's nice to know others are reading the classics. Thanks!
Kk_1016

Post by Kk_1016 »

One of my favorite classic book is by Mark Twain, Huckleberry Finn. I had to read the summer before my freshman year of high school and I absolutely loved it!

Return to “Classic Books”