Hansel and Gretel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kholod25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Hansel and Gretel

Post by Kholod25 »

This fairytale illustrates psychological horror.
One purpose of the story is to warn children against strangers even if these strangers show kindness at first.
The brother and sister needed care and shelter. The reader understand that staying inside the forest is much better than going to the witch's house. They are attracted to the candy that fill the house. It is a warning. Children must not take candy or gifts from strangers. The result is totally scary and the kind strange old woman removes her fake veil and intends to devour them.
This horrifies a child. Greta fears not only for herself. She has a brother. When they both discover the truth at night each one sees murder upon him but also worries terribley about the dear sibling. That hurts more and terrifies more.
It is disturbing how Gretel is forced to attend her prisoner brother. Watching him in his cage and feeding him for the witch. This experience is too harsh and lacerates the child's soul.
Stories such as Hansel and Gretel and Little red and many others try to make children aware of the danger and misfortune that fall upon them if they trust strangers easily.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

This is a great fairy tale and yes most fairy tales are pretty scary :twisted: I think they are very entertaining and educational but scary, you bet. A witch that's going to eat you or your brother. I'd do the same as she did!!!!?
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Yeah. This one in particular was also very disturbing even when I was a child.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 20 May 2019, 17:42 Yeah. This one in particular was also very disturbing even when I was a child.
I agree with you. I too was disturbed as a child. I doubt that I would like to tell the story or even buy the book for my nephews and nieces.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

As an adult, I find this story and many other fairy tales to be quite alarming as to what is in the story. As a child, I never remember thinking this was a scary story, but as an adult, it is not the story that I would want to read to my grandchild. I have found that many of the stories that I learned as fairy tales as a child, I do not consider appropriate material for my grandchild.
Caribqueen16
Favorite Book: The Employee Millionaire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caribqueen16.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Caribqueen16 »

Small children are innocents and can be impressed very easily. The story of Hansel and Grethel goes well until the witch decides to eat Hansel. Children do not know the difference between reality and fiction at an early age. Any child on hearing that part of the story will become scared. I do agree with your sentiments.
Where there is a will, there's got to be a way :D
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I agree that most fairy tales are disturbing. If you really pay attention to the stories they are filled with violence and death when we think they are supposed to be filled with love and happily ever afters.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

When I was first introduced to these stories I believe the versions that really stuck with me were the adaptations on HBOs Happily Ever After, but the original books as well. Hansel and Gretel was a creepy story, but its not like it scared me as a child. Still its an effective way to teach your kids about stranger danger. Especially the Grimm Brothers' version.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

Hansel and Gretel is a fairy tale. But, it is very interesting and it makes the readers curious. this could be recommended for children to read. children will enjoy the story a lot.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

This was my best fairy tale though pretty scary. I even told it a story telling competition and won.
Arya harish
Currently Reading: Anthros Galactica - Rise of the Omicron
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Arya harish »

It's a type of fairy tale . In which witches are haunted by Hansen and Gretel . The innocent children are kidnapped by witches and Hansel and Gretel rescues them ...it is horror plus adventurous movie . I loved it while reading ....
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

I have watched more fairytales than I have read. I am a little old for fairy tales now but still, I have decided to make a list of 5 fairy tales that I am going to read in a month. I am adding this to my list.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

To be honest, I feel the Grimm brother's version of the fairy tales wasn't meant for children. They're far too scary, even for adults.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

I've never read the book but I've watched the movie and since books to movies adaptation has slight difference. I'd like to read the book. But it wasn't scary when I watched it
Pauline Kinyanjui 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pauline Kinyanjui 2 »

I have read and watched the story, it's a fairy tale,which is very interesting and educative and adventurous as Hansel and Gretel go hunting down the witches after they kidnapped the innocent children. I recommend this book to anyone and most especially children who are ambitious about adventure. Am adding it to my list

Return to “Classic Books”