Classics For Classics - best books of all times

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elvisedwin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Classics For Classics - best books of all times

Post by Elvisedwin »

All the classic book is cool, when reading, its very easy to understand
bookdragon_29
Currently Reading: The Curious Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by bookdragon_29 »

Heya! I'm new here and this is my first post. This is such a tough question because there are so many elements to books that make people love certain ones over others. Sometimes a book just speaks to you. It's difficult to choose a "Best book of all time". I believe this title is more of a characteristic than a 'title' because books are like friends and you CAN have more than one best friend at a time. I see it as more of a quality that the book has that allows it to speak into your life and captivate you. That being said, I think one of my choices would be Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Shelley was so in tuned with the human experience when she created not only the monster but Dr. Frankenstein as well, that she was able to provoke the reader into deeper thought about such affairs as "what it means to be human". Interestingly enough, I return to this book often with thoughts of Creationism and questioning what part I truly play in the world. I think this book deserves the characteristic 'best book of all time' because it humanises the 'daemon' in the story, while demonising the human, but also brilliantly creates an environment where both creator and creation are questioned. This allows for people to look inward for answers to unanswerable questions. There is no true hero in the story and that's what makes it such a fascinating and important read. Anyway, there's my two pence on the subject. Taking one for the peanut gallery. Cheers!
Jauthor97
Favorite Author: J R R Tolkien
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jauthor97.html
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
fav_author_id: 2578

Post by Jauthor97 »

To Kill a Mockingbird. It has got to be one of the ultimate greatest books I have ever read!
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
Estrelldamilola
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Estrelldamilola »

"Austen is my favorite author in regards to her keen and honest social observations but I feel as though everyone also needs to read at least one Dostoyevsky novel as well." I go with you.
EdilbertoCabatana123

Post by EdilbertoCabatana123 »

I am wondering why nobody chose "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens as the best book of all times. The opening pages alone are a literary masterpiece. The tale proceeded from there until it ended with the greatest sacrifice a man can possibly give to a fellow human being - his life.

The book is not as long as most of today's best sellers. But it is crafted so delicately and succinctly that it deserves to be the best book of all times.
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

As an avid reader and someone who appreciates literature, classics are a must. But can I say that even though I often read classics, I find a lot of them mind-numbingly boring. I hate to say it - but here it is: The Great Gatsby didn't hold my interest.
Gah! I feel bad about writing that already!

If I picked my favorite classic, it would be The Picture of Dorian Gray. Something that people today can still relate to and the prose doesn't make me want to massage my brain.

-- 27 Jun 2017, 11:39 --

As an avid reader and someone who appreciates literature, classics are a must. But can I say that even though I often read classics, I find a lot of them mind-numbingly boring. I hate to say it - but here it is: The Great Gatsby didn't hold my interest.
Gah! I feel bad about writing that already!

If I picked my favorite classic, it would be The Picture of Dorian Gray. Something that people today can still relate to and the prose doesn't make me want to massage my brain.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Zupanatural
Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zupanatural.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Zupanatural »

I feel I've read a really good number of the old classics but I would still go with The Master and Margarita & The Lord of the Rings over anything by Dickens, Hardy, Conrad etc.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

If one is a fan of "1984", I would also suggest "A Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Like 1984, "A Brave New World" also explores a dystopian-themed society where everyone is segregated according to their biology, and they don't have a problem with it. It is a good classic because one can't tell who the enemy is, or rather there is really an enemy or not.
-rk
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Love your picks so far. How about a nice creepy classic for the fall months? I'm thinking Frankenstein or Dracula!
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Nina Rose
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nina Rose »

I am not into Classic literature but yes I find Shakespeare's works and The Little Prince still relevant.The beauty and brilliance of these shines across times.
Sin24
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sin24.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by Sin24 »

If I'm to be honest, I prefer older books and classics that were published before the twenty and twenty- first century. I believe that they have a greater sense of originality and a deeper perspective on life, books publish within our era tends to be overly romanticized, untrue and delusional, some of the books I enjoy are:

Hamlet by William Shakespeare
King Lear by William Shakespeare
Taming of the shrew by William Shakespeare

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte`
Tess of the d`Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
One Thousand and One Nights ( The Arabian Nights )
Kaleidoscope by Danielle Steel
The Dark Tower ( series ) by Stephen King
Grimms' Fairy Tales (Children's and Household Tales) by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm

Ps. Confessions time; I really enjoyed these books but how I came to know about them was either through school, movies or other books. I am also a fan of Hans Christian Andersen work, but I got too lazy to type them out. Life is not a bed of roses and it should not be portrayed as such, (the good guys does not always win.), we do not always overcome our circumstances.
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I would say Jules Verene . He was doing science fiction before much of the science was known.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
maiamalanee
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... tlander</a>
Currently Reading: Green Mansions
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maiamalanee.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by maiamalanee »

I prefer classics over newer series. Classics have a certain sense of value that offers a deeper perspective on life. I have a love for history, so the ability to be transported back in time is something that I appreciate.

My favorite classic is Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sidney. It's vastly underrated and a children's book, but it is very insightful of the distinction between the classes during the 19th century.
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

The first two which spring to mind are The Iliad and Don Quixote.

The Iliad, which is attributed to "Homer" was instrumental, along with the works of Hesiod, for the creation of the Greek gods. It was the equivalent to a Greek bible and therefore influenced the thinking and culture of Greek civilization which in turn had the greatest influence on all of the western civilizations which followed.

Don Quixote was written by Miguel de Cervantes in the 1600's but despite how much times have changed over the centuries it is still considered by many to be the first and finest novel ever written. Much of its success is due to its timeless humor which transcends time and and changes in cultural conventions. Don Quixote is the second most translated book of all time, second only to the Bible.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamozov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky are some of my favorites.

Return to “Classic Books”