What is your favorite quote from "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" ? And why ?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Re: What is your favorite quote from "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" ? And why ?

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

WADonnelly wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 15:41
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 11:21 "I wouldn't be who I am if it weren't for her"
I know that it is early on in the book, but it reminds me of the relationship that I have with my girlfriend and how she has changed my life and how she makes me feel. I really wouldn't be who I am, or maybe even here at all if it weren't for her.
This is one that I love as it actually reminds me of my parents and how much I admire their relationship. A great quote to pick out!
It really is such a beautiful quote! A relationship like that is so rare and wonderful and something to aspire to!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Nitika Sood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-HDFC-Head-Girl.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by Nitika Sood »

“We the people of the Third World neither feel the need, nor harbor a desire in all honesty, to switch places with the wealthy nations. We do not wish to see them become impoverished while we become rich. But the wealthy nations must understand that we refuse to let ourselves bleed to death while they sit back nonchalantly and enrich themselves on our backs.” This is my favorite quote from the book because it portrays how the author is mature enough to not wish suffering upon someone else simple out of vengeance but also believes in unwavering equality, and knows that the wealthy nations need to step up to take responsibility. He's not supporting the shifting of the power dynamic, he wants the removal of it.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

"A candle can only light another candle to create a candelight. - President Houphouët was a lighthouse... He was a leader, a virtuoso, who, when given the first note in the score, would play it better than anyone else." (p 211)

"Peace should not be a dream," (p. 582)
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html

Post by Drianie »

I found the ending extremely powerful: "In light of my faith, and knowing fully well that each one of us has a specific mission to fulfill during his or her lifetime, I ventured to put all my heart in whatever I tried to accomplish at every single moment, and I embraced all humans as unique in the eyes of the Almighty." I found this to be inspiring, causing me to question my own mission in life and my commitment to accomplishing it.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html

Post by Drianie »

justhereader wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 05:04 This is the most powerful quote for me, one that encapsulates the author’s compassion and conviction for the developing nations: “We the people of the Third World neither feel the need, nor harbor a desire in all honesty, to switch places with the wealthy nations. We do not wish to see them become impoverished while we become rich. But the wealthy nations must understand that we refuse to let ourselves bleed to death while they sit back nonchalantly and enrich themselves on our backs.”
I also found this to be a powerful statement in the book. It shows that the author harbors no ill intent towards anyone but will stand up for freedom and peace no matter the cost. In general, his approach to people and his mission to fight for equality and peace is inspiring.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

page 582, loc. 7842: "Today’s youth are a different breed. They are intent on changing the world by being fair and transparent."

This was in the epilogue, past the part where I realized Dr. Berrah was not only recounting world history and his own life experiences but also sharing his dreams for our future. The quote filled me with sadness as much as pride. As part of the younger generation, I can affirm that we truly are the generation that questions the traditions of the past and are intent on changing our current situation for the better. It saddens me that the world lost a man as spectacular as Dr. Berrah, who had the same dreams as us.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

I cant believe there is a few of us having this quote as our favorite.
“I dream of the day when I can give a bowl of rice to each citizen of China before they go to sleep.”
These really touched me and its a poverty alleviation mindset that I have just after reading these novel.
Mine will be I dream of the day when I can give a bowl of rice to each citizen of the world before they go to sleep.
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

LeighBee wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 17:27 I have the same view of religion as Dr. Ghoulem Berrah, and I thought he put it most succinctly when speaking of his shared faith with his wife, as I myself have experienced this unity in faith, despite having a difference in religion. He writes, "My Love has always respected the precepts of Islam, and I have also respected those of the Catholic religion. Hence, I have never experienced the feeling of having a faith that differs from hers. We will forever continue to share our common faith in one God."

So much hatred and division is justified by religion, but those who are truly faithful will understand how genuine this statement is. Throughout the book, he speaks of his similar connections with Jewish and Christian friends, and even speaks respectfully about faithful followers of other religions. I have great respect for this.
I grew up thinking that if you were to marry someone with a different religion from yours, one of you has to convert to the other. Dr. Berrah and Titi's marriage changed that. It also amazes me how their country and continent was a hub of diverse religions and they mostly existed in harmony, instead of competing with each other. His story showed me that they all intersect at some point and we all have a common ground. I wish to experience this, too.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 11:21 "I wouldn't be who I am if it weren't for her"
I know that it is early on in the book, but it reminds me of the relationship that I have with my girlfriend and how she has changed my life and how she makes me feel. I really wouldn't be who I am, or maybe even here at all if it weren't for her.
This was so adorable, and as I continue to read the book, that part continues to sink in and solidify in me, too. It also says a lot about Dr. Berrah. One would think that his beliefs and drive came from himself or anyone else but his wife. And yet the way he talks about her in that part shows how truly important her role was in his life; it goes beyond the "conventional function" of a wife. (Also, I'm freaking out that you have a girlfriend; more power to you both!)
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

justhereader wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 05:04 This is the most powerful quote for me, one that encapsulates the author’s compassion and conviction for the developing nations: “We the people of the Third World neither feel the need, nor harbor a desire in all honesty, to switch places with the wealthy nations. We do not wish to see them become impoverished while we become rich. But the wealthy nations must understand that we refuse to let ourselves bleed to death while they sit back nonchalantly and enrich themselves on our backs.”
It is powerful, I agree, but I think I'd feel better about it if he was consistent about it, too. It's just weird to me that he says these words while also saying that he admires America. I'd feel better if this isn't exactly what's happening right now.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Arimart99 wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 22:49 My favorite quote is the ending. "The attributes that define me are faith, honor, duty, love, justice, peace, and dialogue. These are characteristics that can move mountains. While we are still sailing in a common vessel known as planet Earth, I believe in my heart that I have accomplished my life’s mission. I can now sense that the time has come for me to get ready to disembark and go to meet my Creator." I felt like this was a perfect way of ending the book, and I was also in awe at the fact that he felt like he accomplished his life's mission. There must be very few people in the world who feel that way before dying.
I haven't met the man and yet this ending made me sad, almost on the verge of mourning him (if I'm just not aware I'm already there). I agree with you: not a lot of people can go this way. In that sense, I'm happy for him. What a way to end a book and a life.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 18:08 “I dream of the day when I can give a bowl of rice to each citizen of China before they go to sleep.” This is my favorite quote because I immediately thought if we could do this for every individual in the world no one would ever go to bed hungry. There are enough rich people in the world who could do this and never feel it in their pockets. Rice is cheap.
Aah, from Mao Zedong, the legend himself. I love him. And you're absolutely right. This is possible. Those people with the power of their government positions and money just can't fathom letting it go and doing this. (It's also very cool of you for having this as your favorite quote. :lol2:)
Kathleen Lavador

Sam Lauren
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Currently Reading: The Dovekeepers
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-lauren.html
Latest Review: To love in vain by Pedro Merchant
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Sam Lauren »

This is mine too. It is such a simple yet powerful goal- how can it be so hard? Yet it is.
Bertha Jackson wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 18:08 “I dream of the day when I can give a bowl of rice to each citizen of China before they go to sleep.” This is my favorite quote because I immediately thought if we could do this for every individual in the world no one would ever go to bed hungry. There are enough rich people in the world who could do this and never feel it in their pockets. Rice is cheap.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

lavkathleen wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 06:27
This was so adorable, and as I continue to read the book, that part continues to sink in and solidify in me, too. It also says a lot about Dr. Berrah. One would think that his beliefs and drive came from himself or anyone else but his wife. And yet the way he talks about her in that part shows how truly important her role was in his life; it goes beyond the "conventional function" of a wife. (Also, I'm freaking out that you have a girlfriend; more power to you both!)
I think the way someone treats their partner is really telling of the sort of person that they are. The way Dr Berrah treats his wife and the relationship that they have is something to aspire to! (and thank you! I love her very much!)
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1886
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Although Ghoulem Berrah was a pioneer in the field of medicine, in my view, his personality was better suited to be a diplomat. All the memorable and important incidents of his childhood and youth were meant to mold and shape the diplomat within him. He resigned from his job as a doctor and became a diplomat. This could be because one day every human being realizes the higher purpose of his or her existence. I anticipate that as far as his personal effort is concerned, it found a better expression as a diplomat rather than as a scientist. As a diplomat, he risked his life in pursuit of peace and liberation of his country. In his own words, 'When we attempt to force change by manipulating one group over the other just to protect our interests, we are failing as a nation. The attributes that define me are faith, honor, duty, love, justice, peace, and dialogue. These are characteristics that can move mountains. While we are still sailing in a common vessel known as planet Earth, I believe in my heart that I have accomplished my life's mission.'

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”