Do you believe this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Adhithya K R
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhithya-k-r.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2566

Re: Do you believe this book?

Post by Adhithya K R »

Sushan wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 00:40 To be honest, I haven't heard of Dr.Ghoulem Berrah before reading this book. So after reading I did my own research on him and found that the outline of his story is very true. He has been a remarkable person in various fields and have been a great asset to the world. But when reading his autobiography, at some occasions I feel that some facts are too good to be true. One such occasion is secretly disturbing a speech of Fidel Castro to prevent the harmful results that might have occurred due to it. This is my very own opinion, and I don't mean any disrespect to the renowned diplomat. But for the sake of discussion, did you get the same feeling when you read this? Do you think that all those things have happened exactly as described?
I think memoirs can be made more believable when the author mentions not only his achievements but also his shortcomings. I found that lacking in this book, and I think that made him seem like a man who could do no wrong, and a larger-than-life figure. But on the whole, I think this book is largely based on true events.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I also feel that the author has told the truth overall for the most part, maybe adding a bit here and there to make for a smoother storyline, but I fully believe that God has allowed all of these events and things to happen pretty much just as he has shared with us. Why would he lie? Most of it could probably be researched and he is an upstanding man, so he wants to keep a clean reputation for himself.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Although this book might feel biased and self-flattering at times I believe this book. Life in politics is something anyone can debunk with basic research. He mentioned his meetings with famous leaders, and any one of them can call foul if anything he mentioned was pretense. I think the author focussed too much on his successes which made this book feel larger than life.
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Themmie10 »

I can’t say he added a few salts to his story though because wars in the past are always sacrificing. It sounds too good to be true though but I believe him.
Joe Jacobs
Favorite Book: Beyond the Higher Ground
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-jacobs.html
Latest Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst
Reading Device: B09KN9X4PZ

Post by Joe Jacobs »

I believe this book is not a sugar-added story. Despite many successes in peace work in Africa and the Middle East, he shares his difficulties. Two failed marriages, willing to accept a childless marriage, escaping France but being jailed in Spain, and not being listened to by world leaders for his pure motive of peace supreme through dialogue. A great man, he is Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

It is interesting to note that you have done some research and cross checked some of the things mentioned in this book. I have read this book and it seems more and less a good depiction of things happening at that time. Dr Berrah's role in peace keeping is also well acclaimed and it is difficult to check each and every fact for authenticity but when a large part of the book seems to be authentic it is more difficult to doubt about a miniscule narration.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

Just like you, I had the same feeling. It sounds too good to be true. I did my research as well and came to know that it was true. But, for the other events, I don't know. Overall, it was a good memoir.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

One fact in the book that's still keeping me doubting its authenticity and practicability in reality is Muslim and Christian helping to build each other's temple of worship. I as a person who lives in Nigeria of majorly Christianity and Islam, what is true about the relationship between these religions is that they never believe in themselves, talkless of helping in building temples with resources and even building them close together, which means they will be worshiping together. Ahh, I don't think This is realistic.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

This is a very honest question. I think his story is true, but of course, seeing as it's his autobiography, i don't think it would have been possible for him not to be a bit biased when telling his story and presenting himself in the best possible light.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I think the aspect you pointed out about Fidel is true. The reason we might not have heard of it is because it was a risky thing to highlight.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

After reading the book, I believed it was based on the truth. Perhaps there were some exaggerations or embellishments, but it's hard to know.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

The story is believable and definitely based on true facts and real events. I did some research online as well. I don't think the author is lying, however he might have left out the most negative things that happened during his missions. I noticed since the early chapters that when he mentionned his mother passing away, or his time in jail, he didn't really dwell on the sadness and hardships. That is why I feel like he was only giving an account of what went more or less well. Besides, due to the nature of his work, there might have been confidential subjects he couldn't reveal in his memoir.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Olomofe »

Yes, I had the same feeling such that at some point I tried to figure out why the author even intends to write this book and even by himself. But I believe everything written is true. Probably his tone and use of words made his text sounds touching and told readers that this author Is a great man. And with this critical readers would smell exergeration.

However, I guess he is intelligent as he can persuade readers into believing certain things he would want just in texts
Rex Rexy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rex-rexy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rex Rexy »

I absolutely believe every detail in this book. This man is highly respected and he won't lie. There is obviously no reason to lie. Nothing in this book is exaggerated.
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

I very much believe this book. I don't think with the reputation of Dr. Berrah he would not want to alter the actual story. I will still do more research after now to get to know more about Dr Berrah.

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”