Could he have done more as a scientist than a diplomat?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Re: Could he have done more as a scientist than a diplomat?

Post by lavkathleen »

Sushan wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 21:50
gabrielletiemi wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 14:03 I think that it is really hard to know if Dr. Berrah could have done more as a scientist, especially when we see that it is related to his passion and his motivation. I think that his attempts at peace mattered, even though he didn't bring world peace, he did his best and he helped to bring new perspectives to various populations.
When it comes to world peace, I believe that it is only a fraud. Big and powerful countries use this issue to get into the inside matters of the relatively weak countries. But there is no one to talk when the powerful nations go into wars and kill thousands of innocent people. So, efforts on world peace is useless in my opinion. If this man remained as a scientist, he could have done more prevailing service than what he did
Peace needs continuous work from people like Dr. Berrah for it to stay. To say that they're work is useless and he should've stayed in the field of science implies the opinion that no one should work in governments and human rights activism because it's useless anyway. Hope and sacrifice goes a long way. What he did in his lifetime, helping his fellow Arab-Africans, opens a road towards a better future; it will not be in vain.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 15:56 I think that the matter of accomplishment is a subjective one. If Dr. Berrah felt like his calling was diplomacy instead of the scientific world, that maybe his opinion about being successful matters more than ours. Nevertheless, it is hard to decide "the success" of diplomacy because it is a long term goal, not easily quantifiable. So I think it is not for us to draw a conclusion in this matter. Also, it is impossible to do so.
Agreed. He struggled for some time before he couldn't take not being on the ground with his people anymore. And with the way he ended his memoir, it's safe to say that he didn't regret choosing this path. Also, the book obviously inspired and impacted us readers in more ways than one. Imagine his effect on people that he actually met. I'd say that he's successful only because of that.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

lavkathleen wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 03:53 With how he's inspired me with just his memoir, I imagine that the impact is greater for the people he's met. I refuse to think that he'd be this same person if he chose the field of science. Being an activist as he was growing up, it only made sense that he left that field. And even though his successors failed to carry on his hardwork and ideals, it meant a great deal to the people that he served during his time. A great deal... I can't even emphasize it enough.
Definitely what he did was a great deal for the people and their countries. And the results being short lived is not his fault as well. He should have inspired many who looked up to him, as a diplomat.

Yes, his character qualities might have led him to leave the field of science. Then why did he chose it instead of something like political science or international relations? I think he had thoughts for science, but for some reason he decided that his true calling is diplomacy. However, I still believe that he could have done many more wwonderful things as well as inspire many junior scientists
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Sushan wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 00:33 Maybe you are correct. And also we may never know what Dr. Berrah would have actually preferred. In my opinion, diplomacy is something fraudulent than being a long shot. None of the powerful countries care about world peace. They use diplomacy to intervene the business of other countries and get benefited in the process. Scientific revrevelations too will do similar things. But ultimately the benefits will be open for a majority in contrast to what diplomacy will gain. So I think it could have been better if he remained as a scientist.
It's literally on page 147 and through to the ending of Chapter 5 that he said that this was his life's purpose. I agree that diplomacy has its pros and cons, but to say that his work as one was useless is just grave disrespect and undermining of his achievements. He went above and beyond his job description to touch other people's lives whether it was morally, spiritually, or financially. I'd bet my life and say that it created a domino effect all over the world.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Krienkie wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 13:09 What we do in our lifetime sets the path for the next generation. I believe that what he did as a diplomat made a difference even if he did not complete his mission for peace.

We will never know what he would have done if he stayed in his profession as scientist, but would it have been as fulfilling to him as when he become a diplomate?
Exactly what I've been saying. Peace needs continued work because at some point someone is going to disrupt it. And he said towards the ending of Chapter 5 that his work as a scientist wasn't enough, that there was something missing. And the way he ended the memoir showed that he left this world feeling accomplished—he was confident that he's finished his life's mission.
Kathleen Lavador

Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Foluso Falaye »

I think that we have enough scientists already. In fact, scientists have caused many problems in the world right now: pollution, plastics, cancer. Though scientists designed these things, greedy individuals ensured their sales at the expense of the environment and its living organisms. What we need is to curb the culture of greed. The world needs peace, and this would be the reality if there was less greed. Greed has resulted in an insatiable hunger for new technology and science discoveries. However, they come at a cost on a planet with a finite space.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

I would rather not traverse down the lane of things not done. I think the author did a beautiful job as a diplomat. It is quite possible that he would have made major achievements in the scientific field as well but i think it would be best to focus on his milestones as a diplomat.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Folushour wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 05:27 I think that we have enough scientists already. In fact, scientists have caused many problems in the world right now: pollution, plastics, cancer. Though scientists designed these things, greedy individuals ensured their sales at the expense of the environment and its living organisms. What we need is to curb the culture of greed. The world needs peace, and this would be the reality if there was less greed. Greed has resulted in an insatiable hunger for new technology and science discoveries. However, they come at a cost on a planet with a finite space.
Scientists have invented many drugs, which have saved many lives. They have developed many technologies that have improved our quality of life. It is true that some of their findings have been used for harmful purposes. But the world won't be how it is today without them.

On the other hand when we consider about world peace and peace keeping missions, most often they have hidden agendas. Many diplomats represent powerful countries, and in the name of peace, they invade and control the less powerful countries. In my opinion, diplomacy has done far more damage than science
Sushan Ekanayake

Eddy E wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 06:17 I would rather not traverse down the lane of things not done. I think the author did a beautiful job as a diplomat. It is quite possible that he would have made major achievements in the scientific field as well but i think it would be best to focus on his milestones as a diplomat.
I don't want to discredit Dr. Berrah's work as a diplomat. And we usually ponder about what we could not do, when we are not satisfied of what we accomplished. But here, I am raising this question because of my personal opinion regarding diplomats. I am not happy about their doing of the biddings of powerful countries. Whatever they think about their job, I see it as a way of modern invasion into countries rather than a service. That is why I say he could have done a better job as a scientist.
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Vine001 wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 18:16 I think this is not for us to decide. Only Dr Berrah can say. Looking from outside you may think a person would have made more wave in a particular field but their deepest passion may be for another.
Exactly. He already made the choice. None of us would be able to tell whether he'd have a more fruitful career in science or not. What was important, at least for him, is that he chose what he loves and he died fulfilled that he did so.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Sushan wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 19:30 He thought that diplomacy was his course rather than being scientist. That is why he left the field of science ad became a diplomat. I am pretty sure that it gave him joy to be involved in world peace.

Yet, I have raised this question to see from the perspective of the spectators. We see that he has done marvellous job in his field of peace making. But it is questionable whether his goals were fulfilled. The countries that he tried to unite still had their own problems. Though he could manage to bring down the parties for negotiations, they did not last long. That is why I see that his diplomatic career was a waste of time and he could have done a greater service if he remained as a scientist.
Like what Krienkie said, "What we do in our lifetime sets the path for the next generation." I believe the goal was to be with his people and join their fight for freedom and human rights. Even though it looks useless from your perspective, his choice will create a domino effect. There will be more people after him, continuing his footsteps, going forward until they reach their goal.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Sushan wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 20:29
zainherb wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 06:41
gabrielletiemi wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 14:03 I think that it is really hard to know if Dr. Berrah could have done more as a scientist, especially when we see that it is related to his passion and his motivation. I think that his attempts at peace mattered, even though he didn't bring world peace, he did his best and he helped to bring new perspectives to various populations.

I agree.
Perhaps if Dr Berrah had continued on as a scientist, something terrible might have happened to him or maybe he might have made a discovery that would have been corrupted and used for evil as humans are wont to do.
We won't really know.
What matters is that he tried his best, followed his passion and attempted to bring about peace.
I agree. Science can be used for good as well as bad. But given the nature of Dr. Berrah's upbringing and his religious beliefs, it is quite hard to think that he will use his scientific abilities to create something evil. What he found in his short career were very important for the betterment of the field of science. So if he stayed there, I think he could have done many more great service than whathe could do in his diplomatic career. Yet, I don't say that he didn't tried. He did his maximum and only the results are not enough as well as not prevailing
I don't think user zainherb was saying that Dr. Berrah would use his discoveries as a scientist for his own gains. Obviously, he wouldn't do that. I guess what they're trying to point out is that there are powerful people out there who will take advantage of him and use his findings to make money out of it or use it carelessly that it'll do more harm than good.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Saint Bruno wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 16:19 I think both vocations are relevant. However, a professor who resigns from research and academics is obviously interested in politics. We need people who have his kind of innovative mind to be in such positions, so I can't say he would have done the world better good if he remained in his old job.
True. Unfortunately, we all know government positions are usually filled with people only keen to take advantage of it and use it for their own gain. With Dr. Berrah taking up one of the most important ones, an international diplomat and basically the president's right hand, it balances and gives people hope. He gave his people a fighting chance simply by being his true self and following his heart.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Sushan wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 05:48
lavkathleen wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 03:53 With how he's inspired me with just his memoir, I imagine that the impact is greater for the people he's met. I refuse to think that he'd be this same person if he chose the field of science. Being an activist as he was growing up, it only made sense that he left that field. And even though his successors failed to carry on his hardwork and ideals, it meant a great deal to the people that he served during his time. A great deal... I can't even emphasize it enough.
Definitely what he did was a great deal for the people and their countries. And the results being short lived is not his fault as well. He should have inspired many who looked up to him, as a diplomat.

Yes, his character qualities might have led him to leave the field of science. Then why did he chose it instead of something like political science or international relations? I think he had thoughts for science, but for some reason he decided that his true calling is diplomacy. However, I still believe that he could have done many more wwonderful things as well as inspire many junior scientists
I guess Dr. Berrah is not one to stay on a linear path. When he chose a major when he got to America for a scholarship, he didn't just choose it because it has always been his target course. No, he chose a university that had political leanings, curriculum, and academic orientation that he liked best. That's how he ended up choosing the University of Indiana and enrolling to its microbiology department. It was an opportunity to explore the country that he admires, and that's exactly what he did.
Kathleen Lavador

jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

We may never know what his fate might be. Nonetheless, there is no harm in thinking about 'what ifs'. If he had continued as a scientist, he might get to make an amazing discovery that can be used for good or destruction. We will probably never know. Yet one thing is for sure, whatever path he may have taken he will still do amazing in it.

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”