What was his secret of his successful marriage life?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Linnette
Currently Reading: Midwinter Turns to Spring
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linnette.html
Latest Review: Heat: by H.M. Irwing

Re: What was his secret of his successful marriage life?

Post by Linnette »

Marriage works if there is balance, love,communication and understanding. Dr. Berrah's respect for women really helped in making his life a success. His wife too is an example to emulate in modern day.
Latest Review: Heat: by H.M. Irwing
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

To summarize, I'd say it was love and understanding. Love was the foundation, understanding was the glue that kept it all together.
Leroy2017
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leroy2017.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Leroy2017 »

Aah.. secrete to a successful marriage could be diverse for everyone since no one couple can be compared to another.. but for this guy, she treated her wife with lots of respect and compassion probably thats what kept them together
Brainiac140
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brainiac140.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by Brainiac140 »

Though there marriage had it's up's and down's. I think the way he loved and treated his wife was greatly influenced by their mon
Megamind136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megamind136.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Megamind136 »

He respected the wife, which I think was greatly influenced by his relationship with his mom. The wife was also awesome
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

Noda21k wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 23:14
zainherb wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 07:03 I think there is no particular secret. I think marriage is hard and full of pitfalls and people do what they can.
In Dr Berrah's case, he seems like a very outwardly loving and compassionate individual to his wife and treats her respectfully and I would think that this would be a huge advantage. It is also great that his mother and he have a great relationship, so this might help in many way.

However, every couple will still have to find what works for them and this is easier for some to do than others.
I think treating her respectfully ultimately comes down to yet another thing: communication. In order to respect someone and have them respect you, good communication has to be there. Otherwise, you can be as loving as you want and the other person might still have some problems.
I tend to agree. Somehow the skills he always needed to do his job as a diplomat can probably be used to maintain a marriage.
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

I feel his secret was what the love shared between he and his mother taught him. It taught him to show others love. And in a situation where there is sufficient love, of course, there will be peace.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

zainherb wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 07:03 [...]every couple will still have to find what works for them and this is easier for some to do than others.
I strongly believe that is the case. Some couples get along well with minimal contact.
Also, both the husband and the wife feel secure about their relationship because they always get reassurance that their marriage is one of the things they value in life.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Trustedbook
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Trustedbook »

There's is something about Dr.Berrah marital life that i love, which is the, "LOVE" that he had for his wife without which his marriage wouldn't has been successful even the Holy Bible has said it all "love is the greatest commandment", this love paved way for endurance,self control, etc.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

This is not a case of one size fits all. The spouses' personalities, plans, affection towards each other, commitment to what you want out of the relationship, sacrifices, etc. differ from one couple to the other. I believe Dr. Berrah and his wife sacrificed a lot for the relationship for the forty years they were together.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

Maybe true love and respect are the key elements. His respect for women in general, and his wonderful relationship with his mother probably helped a lot for having a successful marriage. The relationship between a mother and a son is very important, and it shows a lot about the man himself.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

A man who loves his mother a lot will always seek her in the life partner. I believe the author's love for his mother overflowed to the wife as well. Through his mother, he learnt to respect and love the second woman in his life. It is difficult to balance professional and personal life but that does not mean it is impossible. I think the secret is that the author believed in himself and made the difficult to be possible.
Chiagbanwe Almond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiagbanwe-almond.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Chiagbanwe Almond »

I think his personality and dedication shone through. He could have really been committed to making his marriage work. And, I think there was also the element of trust. His wife could have trusted him to always be honest with her, no matter what secret scandals may have arisen. And, he could have trusted his wife to always understand him and the requirements of his career, even at odd times.
Noriel DM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noriel-dm.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Noriel DM »

In my opinion, his secret is just pure love. Probably, he showed tender love and care for his wife that his wife understands his personal life. That's why he had a work-life balance.
We are all unique in our own ways :D
Noriel DM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noriel-dm.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Noriel DM »

A man will not have a hard time for work-life balance if he is showing and giving the needs and wants of a woman. If he is treating his woman right, then he will not have a hard time for his own personal life. There is no perfect relationship but if you will work together in ups and downs, then you can say that you are having a perfect one. The secret to having a perfect marriage is love, loyalty, faithfulness, and understanding. I think Dr. Berrah and his wife have that, thus he didn't struggle with his personal life.
We are all unique in our own ways :D

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”