Favorite character

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Favorite character

Post by RHD »

That is, absolutely, Lady Sougyon! She is reforming from the previous Korean order, courtesy of her able and wise father. She, a royal, doesn't betray her 'husband' - she is loyal. Kim Embon owes his recklessness, and later patriotism, wholy or partly to her. She doesn't stop the son from knowing his father, she values family. I can go on and on. She's certainly the one.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Lady Sougyon, hands down. I think it was very wise to start off with her story. The character was very relatable and authentic.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
athurst123
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athurst123.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by athurst123 »

Embon was, by far, my favorite character. His character development was amazing and inspiring! He went from being wealthy and rather spoiled to helping others and fighting for Korean independence from Japan! Even after his friends died, he remained determined to finish what they started together!
nangel04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nangel04.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by nangel04 »

I cannot think of a single character I liked more than any other. There were things I liked and things I disliked about most of the characters. I liked Embon’s innocent to determined demeanor. I did not like his weakness at times or the way he did not even give his wife a chance (not that she was any better). I liked his mother’s intelligence and compassion, but disliked her coddling of Embon. I liked Mr. Seoh’s protective nature over his family, but did not like that he did little to stand up for his native country (not that he could have done both of these things at the same time).
In the beginning was the Word...John 1:1

Reason and love keep little company together nowadays. ~Shakespeare; A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Lady Sougyon is my favorite character because she was compassionate and always tried to do what she felt was right.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

My favorite character was Lady Sougyon. She was a very interesting individual who had lived a full life and suffered a lot but continued to move through life with the dignity and perseverance of the truly strong.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Another character that I enjoyed reading about was Mr. Koo. He was at first glance just an average Korean man but beneath the surface he was someone that had faced so many trials and sufferings and had come out ready to fight for his country against the yoke of their oppressors.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Lunastella wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 11:03 Lady Sougyon. Such a strong woman! I love how she astounded the kind by being intelligent in her conversation and not just a pretty ornament, and how strong she was to raise Embon by herself even if, in my opinion, she made some mistakes.
Yes! she was not just a trophy wife, to be brought out for display. She was quite an intelligent and strong woman raising Embon all all alone. I loved her.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Embon is the main character. But I would like to see more of his emotional side and how his thoughts were to get more familiarize with him. I liked the character of Lady Sougyon, a strong female who had various experiences in her life, but for me she persisted throughout
Brownbrit
Favorite Book: The Red Tent
Currently Reading: Big Debt Crises
Bookshelf Size: 115

Post by Brownbrit »

Does anyone really like any of these characters. They all are fine, but there is no deep character development. None of them have a true personality that a reader can explore. I found it hard to relate to any of the characters. Were the stories interesting, yes. But was the character development on point, no!
Owen John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owen-john.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Owen John »

The character is Lady Sougyon. She is very strong regardless of what she has to go through because of the society's cultural beliefs. Probably she should be an encouragement to women who undergo the same feat.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

nikkiloveskiwi wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 23:44 My favorite one would be Lady Sougyon. She is such a strong woman who suffered from a difficult marriage while living in a society with such unlikely standards for women during that time. Even so, she was still the best mom she could be to her son.
I agree to that although she stays in the background.
HaleyHardy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleyhardy.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by HaleyHardy »

Lady Sougyon is my favorite character in this book. She seemed to be able to think and act on her own, without the influence of someone else. She was able to interact with the King, unlike many other characters. She is a strong sentiment to empowered women.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

My favorite character is Mr. Koo Daesik; he never relented. He was ready to save his country even as he had to sacrifice the time he is supposed to spend with family.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

Lady Sougyon was hands-down my favourite character, but my favourite background character was her dead beat husband. I enjoyed the story of his life, and when he came back to tell Embon his side of the story regarding his marriage, I was so taken aback. I suppose I fed into the victimhood mentality of Lady Sougyon and forgot to emphasize with her husband. He was an orphan taken away from his home to marry some random lady. And he was expected to have a smile on his face about it as well because she is an aristocrat and he was just a poor orphan boy—such a tragic life.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”