Name a new fact your learned about Korean culture from reading the book

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Claudia DCD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorcpenz.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Name a new fact your learned about Korean culture from reading the book

Post by Claudia DCD »

What I'm noticing in this book is the tons of research that must have gone into this time period in Korean history. From styles of dress to what inhabits the gardens, let alone historical events. What's one fact you learned about Korea or this time period through reading this book that you hadn't known beforehand? Or, what is a fact about Korean culture that will help readers understand the story better?

I'll name the obvious: I didn't know 1912 was the year of the Rat. My western influence wanted 1918, the time of the last pandemic, to be the year of the rat, matching it to symbolism of the plague. But that must be disrespectful to those actually born in the year of the rat and its symbolism of plenty and never going hungry. It's also a lot more complicated than that, as the book shows. It's the various symbolisms tying together the time of day and the season. I wonder if there were fortune tellers in Korea that helped navigate the complicated omens of each person's birth.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

Lady Sougyon was glad she had a son because a son would stay in her life, whereas a daughter would not. Daughters evidently just disappear into their own families and their husbands' families. In America, we have the opposite tendency. There is an old saying "A daughter is a daughter all of her life; a son is a son until he takes a wife." I thought that was an interesting contrast.
Book Lover Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-jack.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Book Lover Jack »

How extremely shameful and regretful divorce was especially for the yangban. Divorce is generally looked down upon but the unbearable 'love life' Embon's mother had to endure to prevent divorce was just too much.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

SorcPenz wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 21:13 What I'm noticing in this book is the tons of research that must have gone into this time period in Korean history. From styles of dress to what inhabits the gardens, let alone historical events. What's one fact you learned about Korea or this time period through reading this book that you hadn't known beforehand? Or, what is a fact about Korean culture that will help readers understand the story better?

I'll name the obvious: I didn't know 1912 was the year of the Rat. My western influence wanted 1918, the time of the last pandemic, to be the year of the rat, matching it to symbolism of the plague. But that must be disrespectful to those actually born in the year of the rat and its symbolism of plenty and never going hungry. It's also a lot more complicated than that, as the book shows. It's the various symbolisms tying together the time of day and the season. I wonder if there were fortune tellers in Korea that helped navigate the complicated omens of each person's birth.
Chinese Zodiac is actually quite famous in Asia. It may sound strange to Westerners, but it's a traditional thing in China, Korea, Japan, and other Eastern countries. It's similar to the twelve astrological signs, but it uses 12 animals (both real and imaginary) instead of 12 constellations. The signs will differ a bit according to each country's beliefs. Based on their own characteristic, these animals represent how others perceive you or how you present yourself. Of course, Asian fortunetellers would employ the signs for many things, such as predicting one's future, finding a good day for marriages, moving, or constructing. Still, that's their specialty which requires advanced research. If you are interested, you can search for this "Chinese Zodiac" term on Google. By the way, last year (2020) is the year of the Rat, too :).
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I never knew Korea was oppressed in the hands of Japan in the early 20th century. The history shared in the book was quite captivating.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
enna_idEsrun
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enna-idesrun.html

Post by enna_idEsrun »

Learning that Japanese ancestors were in fact Korean aristocrats was an interesting fact that came out in the novel, I thought. More interesting was that while this truth might have brought peace, harmony and respect between them as a people, it divided them instead.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

The gender norms! I guess I shouldn't be surprised about the intensity of women oppression around that time, but I wasn't expecting them to be trained to always look down during the wedding! Not to mention the laws regarding inheritance. They basically have nothing unless they marry a good man. It's a tragedy.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I had no idea that they put wax on the bride's eyes on the day of the wedding so she cannot open them!! That sounds so dangerous! I wonder how many of them still do this and how many brides have to go to the hospital bc of wax getting in their eye on their wedding day.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I learnt about the palza which were basically Japanese omens or curses that directed their destinies from when they're born till death. I learnt that they put great stock in the timing of birth as they believe certain dates or times bring wealth whereas others signify bad omens.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Post by Fliesie01 »

To me, it was interesting to learn that the bride should bow before all the members of her new in-laws and in a specific order. It was interesting to read that the prince had it perfectly planned that his daughter, a princess, would not bow to anyone. Therefore breaking traditions.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I never knew that Korea was under Japanese rule for a time. I discovered this fact from this book.
bardhaselmani
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bardhaselmani.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by bardhaselmani »

I personally learned so much.
I am a European so I am quite uninformed about Asian history in general.
I learned about marriage rituals for example which was interesting.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The strained relationship between Japan and Korea. I knew that Japan was not "the good guy" in history, but I never new that Korea suffered so much from its oppression.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

SorcPenz wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 21:13 What I'm noticing in this book is the tons of research that must have gone into this time period in Korean history. From styles of dress to what inhabits the gardens, let alone historical events. What's one fact you learned about Korea or this time period through reading this book that you hadn't known beforehand? Or, what is a fact about Korean culture that will help readers understand the story better?

As far as I know, rats are not a bad omen because it's considered that they only come to houses that are bountiful. But I could be wrong. What caught my attention was the incredible importance that in-laws have in the family structure, to the point where Prince Aansoon chose an orphan to marry his daughter.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html

Post by Sararob06 »

I learned that Korean surnames are traditionally monosyllabic. I’m not terribly familiar with Asian culture and know very little about traditional naming standards from any region. I found the part about their disdain for the multisyllabic Japanese names interesting also.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”