The Meaning of the Title

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: The Meaning of the Title

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

I think the title refers to disappearing Korean traditions and culture. More than that title emphasizes that Korea is in the process of losing its identity and 'Koreans' vanishing.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

I think it's #1. The gradual disappearance of Korean culture and way of life under Japanese occupation.
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Swirliegirlie »

OOOO I really like your number two! I hadn't thought of that being the group represented by the title "The Vanished". I did think along the lines of 1 and 3 but ultimately I think the vanishing of Korea's culture and way of life resonates best with me.
Annette M
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annette-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Annette M »

I think the titles talks about the falls heroes like King Gojong, Mr.Cho, General yoon, gain and yangwoo among others.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I also think it’s number 1. In the story, the early 1900s is a time where the Japanese influence on the Korean society is beginning to take hold and the old traditions are fading away. It is also the time where Western ideals and ways of life are being introduced so there’s that too.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

cd20 wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 15:14 I agree it could be all three. I also think it could be that the idea of what they thought their lives would look like also vanished. I am sure Lady S could have never imagined herself trapped in a loveless marriage, only to see her son turn out the same. I am sure Embon never imagined his life would be the way it was.
I think she was aware of what marriage for her would look like. What she didn't perceive, though, was having a husband like Kim Byung Hob—whoring around, getting drunk all day, and losing so much money on gambling. Embon, on the other hand, made himself clear that he didn't want to get married yet... but his mom forced him anyway.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Mtibza eM wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 12:17 I agree with your number 1 & number 2 not three because all those who sacrificed their lives were documented by fellow struggle heroes so they don't get erased in history.
I bet not everything got written, though. Some of them might have gotten destroyed, too. And then there's also the historians who spread false information. And the fact that a lot of our history are not taught properly in school and public.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Book Lover Jack wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 16:02 I believe the author wrote the book to remind us of the forgotten Korean Upper class (yangban). In this book's case, the elite young men in society that died for their country. Generally, however, I believe its the forgotten Korean upper class whose story has vanished from history along with its heroes
It's not just the upper class, though, but the Korean culture as a whole. Whether a person is from the upper or lower class, they each had a reason to leave their traditions behind. I believe it's not only the yangbans who made a sacrifice, although the story focuses on them.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Fazzier wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 10:18 Your second point aptly captures what the title of the book meant to me. I took it to mean the silencing of the voice of the marginalized (especially women). I found it outstanding the only person the author gave the privilege to narrate the story from their perspective was a woman, hence giving her a voice.
I never thought of that. Giving women that small slice of justice. It's poetic. I was wondering why the author only gave the first-person perspective to Lady Sougyon—I now have another answer for it.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Annette M wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 14:25 I think the titles talks about the falls heroes like King Gojong, Mr.Cho, General yoon, gain and yangwoo among others.
Perhaps. Someone said that it was probably about the vanishing of the story of the yangbans—and I disagreed with it. Exactly because of this. I think other than the rich life of the aristrocats, the stories of the silent rebels and independence activists are lost somewhere, too.
Kathleen Lavador

Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

I believe that what is so great about the title is that it can be interpreted as all of which you described. I think that it refers to the disappearance of that which was lost to a community: lives, community and autonomy, perhaps.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

I think the topic, "The Vanished" might refer to the following: the gradual disappearance of the traditional Korean way of life under Japanese occupation and dominance; and the marginalized (servants, women) whose voices cannot be heard in a society where aristocracy and men have all the influence.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

I believe point three is applicable too, considering the ending of the book. I was shocked when Mr Koo & his group lost their lives so unexpectedly.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I think the title relates best with 1 and 3. My first impression was that it was in reference to the heroes who fought against the Japanese whose stories won't get to be told. Often in history only the major events and characters are remembered, but often the smaller voices who contributed and fought for freedom are remembered only in memory, if even at all
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

For me, "The Vanished" might refer to the following:
1) the gradual disappearance of the traditional Korean way of life under Japanese occupation and dominance;

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”