The Meaning of the Title

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: The Meaning of the Title

Post by OB Brian »

Mtibza eM wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 12:17 I agree with your number 1 & number 2 not three because all those who sacrificed their lives were documented by fellow struggle heroes so they don't get erased in history.
I believe three also explains the title. I mean, those guys, inasmuch as they were documented, they died. They never got to live the life they wanted
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I agree that the title was a clever choice since different readers can attach different meanings to it based on what they take away from their reading experience. For me, the first option makes the most sense since the overall story pertains to fighting for freedom from the Japanese Occupation. On a deeper, more personal note, I can see how number two can be worth exploring. Lady Sougyon can be seen as a person vanishing underneath the weight of cultural norms and expectations. These norms and expectations limited her and many other women and servants of their time.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

After reading this book, I associate the title most to the fallen resistance heroes. This is probably because I learned about the culture by connecting with the characters. Especially toward the end of the book, it was so sad to see these young, idealistic men go off on a mission and never return. Not only did they vanish, but the families they never had vanished. The dreams that their mothers and wives had for their lives vanished. I do admire their courage and determination, though.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Book Lover Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-jack.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Book Lover Jack »

lavkathleen wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 02:25
Book Lover Jack wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 16:02 I believe the author wrote the book to remind us of the forgotten Korean Upper class (yangban). In this book's case, the elite young men in society that died for their country. Generally, however, I believe its the forgotten Korean upper class whose story has vanished from history along with its heroes

It's not just the upper class, though, but the Korean culture as a whole. Whether a person is from the upper or lower class, they each had a reason to leave their traditions behind. I believe it's not only the yangbans who made a sacrifice, although the story focuses on them.
In a sense yes, but I believe the author is specifically referring to the the upper class because many know of the poor Koreans that lived at that time, but little is known of the upper class or the yangban as a subgroup within that class.
crisanja
Currently Reading: shadow and bones
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crisanja.html
Latest Review: Buried Seeds by Donna Meredith
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by crisanja »

I think it's all three. It's definitely something to make the reader think. The loss of culture and values, as well as someone's hopes and dreams for their life, and perhaps in Lady Sougyon's case, the dreams for her son. The title is a very clever way of invoking our thoughts to its meaning.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think it is the disappearance of the traditional Korean way of life. But it was not only because of the Japanese occupation. It was also the time of the industrial revolution. The social system was changing from feudalism to industrialism. There was exposure to modern and western influences. In the story, there were references to the preference for western education, food, clothing, cars, etc.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Damian Keyes »

At first, I did not understand what the topic could have referred to when I read the synopsis for this book. I remember reading in one of the chapters about the effect the March 1 uprise did on Koreans rights and their rights. So, I think "The Vanished" is about the disappearance of Korean culture, due to the Japanese government.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Teele wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 05:34 I believe point three is applicable too, considering the ending of the book. I was shocked when Mr Koo & his group lost their lives so unexpectedly.
It was some members of the resistance, including Embon's friends, but not Mr. Koo. He's very much alive. But yes, it was quite the shock. Unfortunately, it's the truth about activism. They're literally offering and sacrificing their lives.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

As I read the book, I assumed it was the first option. I believe that "The Vanished" refers to the vanishing of Korean culture and tradition under Japanese rule.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

OB Brian wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 08:41
Mtibza eM wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 12:17 I agree with your number 1 & number 2 not three because all those who sacrificed their lives were documented by fellow struggle heroes so they don't get erased in history.
I believe three also explains the title. I mean, those guys, inasmuch as they were documented, they died. They never got to live the life they wanted
True. They're supposed to be in Korea, living their best lives. Instead, they had to move to China to fight for their freedom. A lot of them sacrificed their lives but... who knows if they received the recognition that they're worthy of?
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Dman_1996 wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 01:25 At first, I did not understand what the topic could have referred to when I read the synopsis for this book. I remember reading in one of the chapters about the effect the March 1 uprise did on Koreans rights and their rights. So, I think "The Vanished" is about the disappearance of Korean culture, due to the Japanese government.
Same. I had a hard time comprehending the meaning behind the title—I almost complained about it in my review! :lol2: That was until I saw this topic. I actually think all those three points fit. A lot of important things sadly vanished in the story.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

sssns wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 00:54 I think it is the disappearance of the traditional Korean way of life. But it was not only because of the Japanese occupation. It was also the time of the industrial revolution. The social system was changing from feudalism to industrialism. There was exposure to modern and western influences. In the story, there were references to the preference for western education, food, clothing, cars, etc.
Aah, I needed this reminder. The Americans and Europeans were starting to dominate a huge part of the world at the time. Even the Japanese were an instrument to this, as they were also spreading their ideals. I feel like, in a way, people were thinking that the Japanese were untouchable and the next thing higher than that is the West. Suddenly, Korean traditions are nothing.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Book Lover Jack wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 16:01
lavkathleen wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 02:25 It's not just the upper class, though, but the Korean culture as a whole. Whether a person is from the upper or lower class, they each had a reason to leave their traditions behind. I believe it's not only the yangbans who made a sacrifice, although the story focuses on them.
In a sense yes, but I believe the author is specifically referring to the the upper class because many know of the poor Koreans that lived at that time, but little is known of the upper class or the yangban as a subgroup within that class.
I don't think that's accurate. We had people from different levels of society in the story. We had Lady Sougyon, who was a daughter of a prince—a royalty. We had Mr. Seoh, who was a yangban. And although we didn't see the story from their perspective, we also had the servants. There's also the kings and queens, the sons of merchants, and the ones who joined the rebellion. We all had a piece of their stories.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Arite Seki wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 17:18 I think the title relates best with 1 and 3. My first impression was that it was in reference to the heroes who fought against the Japanese whose stories won't get to be told. Often in history only the major events and characters are remembered, but often the smaller voices who contributed and fought for freedom are remembered only in memory, if even at all
May I ask why not number 2? As you've said, the "small" voices are rarely recognized. You're talking about the people who fought for the country's freedom, and although we didn't read about the servants who decided to join the independence movement, I think the title refers to them, too. The story didn't only tell us about the oppression caused by the foreigners, but also by the Koreans themselves against their own countrymen.
Kathleen Lavador

BellAJoEb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajoeb.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by BellAJoEb »

cristinaro wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 05:40 Pejay Bradley's novel has a beautiful metaphorical title. For me, "The Vanished" might refer to the following:
1) the gradual disappearance of the traditional Korean way of life under Japanese occupation and dominance;
2) the marginalized (servants, women) whose voices cannot be heard in a society where aristocracy and men have all the influence;
3) resistance heroes who sacrificed their lives and never gave up their fight for independence.
Which of these three best works to explain the title? Do you have any other ideas?
The title is indeed beautiful and I agree with you on all three references especially with the first reference. The Korean way of life under the Japanese dominance is vanishing. Among other things that could be lost when a colony is under occupation.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”