The Meaning of the Title

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Re: The Meaning of the Title

Post by Gabriella H »

Although the book description refers to 'The Vanished' in the sense of Korean's losing their culture, I couldn't help but feel like it also referred to number three, about the resistance fighters who sacrificed their lives fighting for Korea's independence.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

The title of the book was actually the thing that drew me to this book. I think "The Vanished" relates to Korean culture and aspects. But I don't think we will really know for sure.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Cristina Chifane wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 05:40 Pejay Bradley's novel has a beautiful metaphorical title. For me, "The Vanished" might refer to the following:
1) the gradual disappearance of the traditional Korean way of life under Japanese occupation and dominance;
2) the marginalized (servants, women) whose voices cannot be heard in a society where aristocracy and men have all the influence;
3) resistance heroes who sacrificed their lives and never gave up their fight for independence.
Which of these three best works explains the title? Do you have any other ideas?
I agree with all of them but mostly number one which talks about the gradual disappearance of the Korean traditional way of life under Japanese dominance.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

The second option was what I interpreted the title as. The marginalized of the society reduced to nameless, voiceless and faceless entities. The other too options are apt and beautiful though.
Ekuma Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekuma-blessing.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd Edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekuma Blessing »

It was in the description, which confused me, and I just didn't know how to process the fact that their story ends there because there is nothing else to be passed down other than this. I agree with you; in fact, you are correct about everything on the list. Just plain obnoxious.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”