The Meaning of the Title

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

The Meaning of the Title

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Pejay Bradley's novel has a beautiful metaphorical title. For me, "The Vanished" might refer to the following:
1) the gradual disappearance of the traditional Korean way of life under Japanese occupation and dominance;
2) the marginalized (servants, women) whose voices cannot be heard in a society where aristocracy and men have all the influence;
3) resistance heroes who sacrificed their lives and never gave up their fight for independence.
Which of these three best works to explain the title? Do you have any other ideas?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I agree it could be all three. I also think it could be that the idea of what they thought their lives would look like also vanished. I am sure Lady S could have never imagined herself trapped in a loveless marriage, only to see her son turn out the same. I am sure Embon never imagined his life would be the way it was.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I think it is about the vanishing of Korea's values and culture in a country dominated by Japan. They have to conform to survive Japan's rule.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I agree with your number 1 & number 2 not three because all those who sacrificed their lives were documented by fellow struggle heroes so they don't get erased in history.
Book Lover Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-jack.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Book Lover Jack »

I believe the author wrote the book to remind us of the forgotten Korean Upper class (yangban). In this book's case, the elite young men in society that died for their country. Generally, however, I believe its the forgotten Korean upper class whose story has vanished from history along with its heroes
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I thought that the vanished was referring to Embon but now I can see it was probably referring to elements of the culture, history or society of Korea
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

It was in the description and it confused me. You're probably right about all those things in the list, and I just didn't know how to process the fact that their story ends there because there's nothing else to be passed down other than this. It's just starting to sink in now... and it's making me angry.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Book Lover Jack wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 16:02 I believe the author wrote the book to remind us of the forgotten Korean Upper class (yangban). In this book's case, the elite young men in society that died for their country. Generally, however, I believe its the forgotten Korean upper class whose story has vanished from history along with its heroes
I agree with you on this. It is sad what happened to Korean upper class but such things have happened (and are still happening) throughout human history.

I would also vote for the number 1 in @cristinaro ’s list. Maybe there’s a bit of both, somehow they go hand in hand. Whatever the case is, this is a clever title!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I think the vanished refers to the Korean aristocracy and their titles. The culture likes to go do genealogy as a pastime and try to keep very good records of their ancestors. It could also refer to all of the people who died trying to fight for the Koreans. In this book we know what happens to our characters but not everyone would have been found. The title kind of reminds me of the title Gone With the Wind. When Japan took over, the Korean's civilization was forever changed and never to return to the exact origional state it had been prior, therefore their culture as they knew it vanished in their lifetime.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I feel its about the gradual disappearance of Korean culture and way of living under Japanese domination. It gives a forlorn air to the slow death of century old tradition as a result of the Japanese occupation.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think that the first and second meanings you wrote resonate best with me, as I felt that the author was giving a voice through the book to the Korean people and the minorities of the time, showing their emotions and their hardships.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Your second point aptly captures what the title of the book meant to me. I took it to mean the silencing of the voice of the marginalized (especially women). I found it outstanding the only person the author gave the privilege to narrate the story from their perspective was a woman, hence giving her a voice.
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

This question was really churning in the back of my mind, but the way you've portrayed the points, I'm very much amused and grateful to you for this. I had the first point in mind but your explanation sounds much better than mine!!
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

I tried to make relevance to the title while writing about the lines while the book was nominated BOTD, on 1st Jan. I feel the story is all about old Korea emerged into a new country. Then the traditional culture had seen fading away as the Japanese ruled their land. So the relevance I can make for the title is to the gradual disappearance of the traditional Korean.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I agree more with the first. In the book, we gradually see Korea losing their relevance and cultural dignity due to the Japanese occupation of their land. It's safe to say that their values vanished as a result.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”