Does the author give more emphases on politics then its Historical or other significance?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Mihir BHATT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Does the author give more emphases on politics then its Historical or other significance?

Post by Mihir BHATT »

As it evident while talking about the japenese imperialism and the feudalisim in korea it also talks about the links between the American,Russian and other societies ,if it's TRUE then what is the main motive of the author while talking about connection between different empires...is its hint towards colonization..?
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I think the author is giving a glimpse of what is going on in other parts of the world, while focusing on her Korean heritable. I did not get that it was a hint toward colonization.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The history of every country is linked with the history of others. So I don;t think you can talk about history without getting into politics. They go hand in hand. I don't think there is any ulterior motive.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 14:56 The history of every country is linked with the history of others. So I don;t think you can talk about history without getting into politics. They go hand in hand. I don't think there is any ulterior motive.
Exactly. I don't think we should read that more into the author's intentions. I think she meant to depict a moment of Korean history and probably highlight the importance of freedom. We can't take history as something isolated. And let's not forget that WWI and WWII were happening. It was quite a turbulent time.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

I don't see any ulterior motive. The author has described a politically unstable era of Korea and given a glimpse regarding political involvement of few other countries as well. Though there is no specific emphasis, ultimately it is all about nothing else but politics
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think the purpose of mentioning other countries, societies, and empires were to give context. Historically, the Americans and Russians did go to war with the Japanese. As for politics, are you exploring the idea that it is an allusion to the current political relationship of these countries?
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

The author focus on the politics as well history as this story is written about the Korean struggle against Japan for independence.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

I think the author just wanted to use as much realism as possible, share her heritage because she is from Korea. The politics and culture go together well for the overall plot of the story.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

I think what we should get from this is that there's no one way of looking at it, be it cultural, political, historical, or societal. The point is that the story is intersectional. All these aspects come together and close-knit. Whatever conflicts there are in the book, they are affected by one or two of these things, if not all.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

cd20 wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 15:24 I think the author is giving a glimpse of what is going on in other parts of the world, while focusing on her Korean heritable. I did not get that it was a hint toward colonization.
It was mentioned in the story that Japan declared war against Korea and tried to invade them. And then they forced them to accept a deal that gives them no choice but to let the Japanese do whatever they want. They sent soldiers and government officials to Korea. They built a number of schools that teaches them the Japanese ways. It is colonization.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I don't see any ulterior or sinister motive in what the author has done. The novel portrays Korea in battle with Japan. It is more than expected that the author will include other countries such as America and Russia in his tale, seeing as this is an international occurrence and other countries would obviously be involved in the matter.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Something that I would like to add however is the fact that if looked at through a somewhat accusatory view, one could say the author mentioned America because of their history of colonization and war with other countries in relation with Japan's ongoing attempted colonization of Korea. The author could have a political reason for doing this as America is widely known for their crimes against peoples of other nations in an attempt to colonize them.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

cd20 wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 15:24 I think the author is giving a glimpse of what is going on in other parts of the world, while focusing on her Korean heritable. I did not get that it was a hint toward colonization.
While you are correct, there is a bit of a coincidence in the fact that America was widely known as one of the largest colonizers of peoples and Korea was in the middle of an ongoing struggle against colonization by the Japanese. While there might be no deeper political agenda behind this, it does feel a bit suspect for the author to bring this into play as it could be a shot at the fact that America today is one of the world powers and their wealth mostly came from colonization.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 14:56 The history of every country is linked with the history of others. So I don;t think you can talk about history without getting into politics. They go hand in hand. I don't think there is any ulterior motive.
While the attack of Korea by Japan was an international event and as such it would be perfectly understandable for the author to make mention of world powers such as America and Russia, it does hint at a greater depth of political antagonism as the author could be hinting at the fact that America was a great colonizer and is still a world power in relation to Japan's attempted colonization of the Korean peoples and country.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Lunastella wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 19:53
Exactly. I don't think we should read that more into the author's intentions. I think she meant to depict a moment of Korean history and probably highlight the importance of freedom. We can't take history as something isolated. And let's not forget that WWI and WWII were happening. It was quite a turbulent time.
This is another fascinating point of view. I was not aware that the timelines of Japan's invasion and WW1 coincided. Based on this, I would say that its perfectly understandable for the author to make mention of them as Korea is not the only country in the world and the author was attempting to tell his story on the international stage.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”