A Different Ending

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
AngieOdeh
Favorite Book: Whale of Wonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieodeh.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Re: A Different Ending

Post by AngieOdeh »

The ending is too open, one might think that there is another part conning. So many loose ends. Would Embom resolve his family situation? Or avenge his dead friends? Or is just meant to be that way and end up like the title of the book, vanished.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The end is abrupt when compared to the effort that the author has made to develop the story from the beginning. Anyway, we actually don't see Embon's emotions rather than his actions. But I don't think that it could have ended in any other way given that he had a guilt driven or avenge driven mind for the death of his friend
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

To me, the story isn't over. There's still so much more to be said. What ever happened to Embon's mother and father? What about his wife, Insoon? Will he reconcile with her or will he find his long-lost love, Mitzuko? What about Korean independence? Did Embon end up involved with the North or the South? (I suspect he supported the southern culture because of their Western influences.)

I didn't expect the narrative to just cut off like that. I thought the ending would have answered some of those questions.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Brownbrit
Favorite Book: The Red Tent
Currently Reading: Big Debt Crises
Bookshelf Size: 115

Post by Brownbrit »

The ending was abrupt and incomplete. I don't think that Embon is a strong enough character for a sequel, but that is the only reason I can see for ending in the way that the author did. I thought that Embon's experience may give him some insight into his father life and provide a greeter understanding for him or that his wife would join the cause, or that he would die. Instead, a day later, I don't even really remember what happened because it just did without any warning or explanation.
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

I actually wanted a different ending for Embon's marital life. Not the loveless union he has to put up with. About his return to his mother's arm, it agrees with his calm personality as seen in the story.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I think the ending was abrupt, or not if there is going to be a sequel. It would be nice to know what happened to his wife.
Betty Gitonga
Currently Reading: Black Cherry Betrayal
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betty-gitonga.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Betty Gitonga »

The ending though abrupt, left me in anticipation of a sequel. I believe there is a lot more of the story to tell.
charlenecraig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crcraig.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra by A Ali Hasan Ali

Post by charlenecraig »

I also felt the ending very abrupt. Embon just seemed to decide all of a sudden to join the movement with no thought of consequences to family. This type of ending usually leads to a second book which could very easily come. Questions like: what happens to his family, where is the girl from school, what role does his father-in-law take? I feel this needs a longer story with stronger ending or a second book.
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

The ending felt like there was something missing, but I think if the author continued the story into the fight for independence, it would be a lot of war and action which I don't think is the main purpose of the story. I thought the main purpose of the story was to depict Korean traditional society and the mindset of Korean citizens from that time.
Krotzell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krotzell.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Krotzell »

sssns: I think the story of Embon is just beginning. I am guessing there will be a sequel. So many ends are left open, and Embon will be back to tie them. He still has to hear the continuation of his father’s story.

Has Bradley suggested this? I would definitely read a sequel because I found the ending very unsatisfying. History doesn't just end but considering the history is the background of this story at a relatively basic level - we weren't reading an in depth historical anaylsis of events in Korea - I would have expected to read some resolution of the "revolution."
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

Same here, It never felt like it was the ending. I was kinda upset that the author didnt give an ending to the story. maybe this is to keep us on suspense for the second part. Nevertheless I wont say anything
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

I did not expect a different ending, however I must admit I was a bit surprised Embon went on ahead with the patriotic cause as I expected him to pull out at some point.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

I felt the ending was too rushed, I wish he could have resolved the relationship with his wife, at least it should have ended on a good note.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

cristinaro wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 09:21 In tone with his hesitant behavior, Embon is ready to give up his fight for independence and return to his mother's welcoming arms. We might have expected him to be more willing to avenge his friends' tragic deaths. However, it took some persuasion from Mr. Koo to convince him to continue with their mission and remain loyal to their patriotic cause. Did you expect a different ending? Can you think of another way Embon's story could have finished?
Yes I feel the ending to be incomplete and I think Embon's patriotic side should have been showed to give the story a better end.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

I do agree it felt abrupt and hasty, but I do not disagree with how it ended. I understand how dejected and hopeless the death of his comrades would make Embon feel, I just wish it was a bit more fleshed out.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”