Fight for independence or remain loyal to Japanese employer?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: Fight for independence or remain loyal to Japanese employer?

Post by Brenda Creech »

Kelyn wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 21:15 There's no reason that outwardly and publicly being 'loyal' in order to safeguard your income and thus your ability to support your family can't coincide with (very) surreptitiously supporting the resistance. I think the question isn't whether he made the right choice but why he didn't see that the two weren't mutually exclusive. In the end, I think he took the 'easier' path of going with the flow rather than against it, and that's a bit sad to me.
I feel the same way, to a certain extent. I guess the reason I believe he chose to not participate and take care of his family was that his wife was expecting a baby at the time of the resistance movement. I believe there was a hint of wanting to hang on to his prestigious job - but I really feel his main reason was to be there for his family.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Kelyn wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 21:15 There's no reason that outwardly and publicly being 'loyal' in order to safeguard your income and thus your ability to support your family can't coincide with (very) surreptitiously supporting the resistance. I think the question isn't whether he made the right choice but why he didn't see that the two weren't mutually exclusive. In the end, I think he took the 'easier' path of going with the flow rather than against it, and that's a bit sad to me.
That could be. I personally think he made the decision he did because his wife was expecting another baby and he didn't want the total burden of caring for the children and trying to find a way to support them financially if he went off to fight. However, as you said, there are other ways in which he could have supported the resistance while still maintaining care for his family. Somewhere, deep down, I believe there was a little bit of wanting to keep his prestigious position at the bank too!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

I honestly don't know what to say. I wish he joined Mr. Koo. But also, I don't know what it's like to be the sole provider for that big of a family. I'm not sure if I can judge him for the fear he feels for his family and maybe for himself. Like what Mr. Koo said, it's not easy being an independence activist.

I wish people didn't have to choose between fighting for freedom and its dangers or the false sense of security and safety by submitting themselves to the colonizers.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

In my opinion, Mr. Seoh's choice is reasonable, as many will think and choose like him. His decision based on the fact that his superiors were not treating them badly, even after the March 1st event. I feel that the Koreans were too hasty with that movement, so the impact achieved was not strong enough. As Mr. Seoh said, it's not like Japan would return Korea to its people just because the Koreans started a march. Reckless doings only made the Japanese more agitated. Revolution is a long-term process, so rushing is meaningless. Mr. Seoh protected his job to provide his kids with a better education. This is so that future generations can be more well-prepared and accumulate more knowledge to ensure a victory. Even Hain, a young revolutionist, agreed with this anticipation. So if you ask me, I would say I support Mr. Seoh.
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

Mr. Seoh made the right choice as his wife was expecting. Look what happened to Enbon's friends who now have fatherless children and widows. I think if Mr. Seoh had been younger with no family he would have joined in Shanghai. His duty as a father and husband came first.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I feel like he did the best that he could although he hadn't picked a side. Not everyone has the courage to openly fight even if they do not like what is going on. Mr. Seoh chose to support his family and while contributing to the cause (even if it was very minimal).
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

B Creech wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 07:21 Japan had occupied Korea for many years when the South Korean King was poisoned. Mr. Seoh worked in the Japanese Bank and had just gotten a promotion. His friend, Mr. Koo, approached him about joining an uprising to regain their independence from Japan. Mr. Seoh had a decision to make: fight for Korea's independence with his fellow Korean's, or protect his job, and probably his family. If you have read the 5th chapter, do you think he made the right decision?
I don't know if it's the right decision, but I can empathize completely. It's not about loyalty towards his Japanese employer, but loyalty towards his family above all else. And he's not directly hurting everyone. In fact, he donated money and did what he could without risking his family's safety.
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

In as much as everyone would expect him to fight for independence, let's not forget that in reality most persons wouldn't because of the situation he is in. His wife was expecting a baby and he needed the income. I think he did what is best for the exact situation he was in that time.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This is a very tough decision to make. Personally, as a woman for some selfish reason, I'd support my husband to stay back to care and protect the familtbsince the wife is heavy. While, others govto fight for the Independence. Inasmuch as he would love to fight for his nation, but he will have a divided attention and will not give his best.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It's difficult to judge if a decision was correct or not, without being in someone's shoes. But I believe that few people are capable of sacrificing everything, including their family, for the great good. So if I had to chose, I would say that he has made the correct choice.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think Mr. Seoh believes in the cause, but it was not the right time yet. The resistance does not have the resources to support the uprising and the consequences. Cause and condition should go together. Also, people have different roles in a revolution, depending on their abilities. Some are meant for the front lines, while others work behind the scenes. They could be strategists, intelligence officers, benefactors, or even cook for the revolutionaries. Mr. Seoh is probably more effective as a sponsor because of his situation. He can support the cause by funding. It somehow reminds me of Schindler’s List. Schindler used his influence and money to save more people. Maybe, when the time is right, Mr. Seoh will also do that.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

lavkathleen wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 01:08 I honestly don't know what to say. I wish he joined Mr. Koo. But also, I don't know what it's like to be the sole provider for that big of a family. I'm not sure if I can judge him for the fear he feels for his family and maybe for himself. Like what Mr. Koo said, it's not easy being an independence activist.

I wish people didn't have to choose between fighting for freedom and its dangers or the false sense of security and safety by submitting themselves to the colonizers.
I agree 100% about wishing people did not have to choose! It is a tough decision for anyone to have to make! I do think he made the right decision, though.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Sou Hi wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 01:50 In my opinion, Mr. Seoh's choice is reasonable, as many will think and choose like him. His decision based on the fact that his superiors were not treating them badly, even after the March 1st event. I feel that the Koreans were too hasty with that movement, so the impact achieved was not strong enough. As Mr. Seoh said, it's not like Japan would return Korea to its people just because the Koreans started a march. Reckless doings only made the Japanese more agitated. Revolution is a long-term process, so rushing is meaningless. Mr. Seoh protected his job to provide his kids with a better education. This is so that future generations can be more well-prepared and accumulate more knowledge to ensure a victory. Even Hain, a young revolutionist, agreed with this anticipation. So if you ask me, I would say I support Mr. Seoh.
I agree with you! I think the only reasonable choice he could make was to take care of his family. He had another mouth to feed on the way and he needed the money from his job. Plus, his wife being pregnant rendered her somewhat helpless in trying to be the family protector and not harm the baby.
B. Creech
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

I think there are many layers to this question. As many said, Mr.seoh was engulfed by guilt. And that's why he did help them financially but within his comfort zone, without risking his job. At the same time, in the long run, dedicated professionals like him are essential for the country once they are independent.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Bridgetbruso99 wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 05:16 Mr. Seoh made the right choice as his wife was expecting. Look what happened to Enbon's friends who now have fatherless children and widows. I think if Mr. Seoh had been younger with no family he would have joined in Shanghai. His duty as a father and husband came first.
Yes, I think you are right. I had not thought about those having fatherless children and the widows. I think he wanted to join, but I also think he made the right decision to stay on his job and protect his family.
B. Creech

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”