This book lacks strong women as important characters?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Re: This book lacks strong women as important characters?

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I thought that considering the culture and times, the main character was a strong woman
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I absolutely agree. I find that this is often the case in books like this one. It's almost as if there were no women present. It really puts me off.
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

I thought Lady Sougyon was a strong female character and not just because she was the narrator. There were a lot of things she wanted but couldn't have because of sexism present in the society, but I think her role portrayed a strong, independent woman. With a dead beat husband, she raised her son on her own, and her son made sure to praise her parenting when he becomes an adult and meets with his father. Lady Sougyon also took after her father with her more progressive view on things and was able to talk to the king about many different topics, unlike other women. She was a progressive, intelligent woman who set aside her own emotions to give her son the best possible life.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

There are many different kinds of strength. A mother raising her child alone is seen as a strength to many. Emotional strength can be as important as physical strength. Historically, women have been in the background. It might discredit the historical accuracy to have several strong women in the book.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Fleurine_t92
Currently Reading: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fleurine-t92.html

Post by Fleurine_t92 »

I know the natural flow. But the coward Embon at first lines of the story turned immediately to brave one who did revolution with others. Don't you think its unnatural. The author make rough words and sentences behind the story till the end. That make us confusing to read the whole.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 05:30 In my opinion, this book could represent more women in important roles. However, I also think about the fact that this is a historical fiction novel. Therefore, the author might also be accurately portraying the lack of women in important roles in Asia by the time of the narrative. What do you think about that?
I think your idea of historical accuracy is interesting. Women certainly had a place in history, but it was not often depicted. I feel this is true especially for women in Asian. There are still cultural expectations even today. Women must fit a specific idea.
However, it fails to note that there were some important female figures, even in Asia. It would be extremely helpful to show young women now that they were not forgotten.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I thought Lady Souygon was a strong character in her own way. I think in this time it was very difficult for women to have a voice as strict adherence to rules and traditions was demanded. She was adamant about how she would bring her son up in a way that was more distanced from Korean traditions and wanted him to have a modern education to make him more worldly. I also appreciated her strength and resilience with dealing with a husband who abandoned her and her limited options for divorce.
jazzygirl625
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazzygirl625.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by jazzygirl625 »

I have often found that if an author leaves out strong female characters for the sake of "historical accuracy" that they just haven't delved far enough into their research of the time period. Many historical periods contain strong women who were very impactful, but historical records tend to overlook them due to the nature of the time period's views of women. I have not personally read much on the real-life time period and setting of this book, so this era may be one of the exceptions, but I am willing to bet that if the author had searched hard, they could have found at least a few examples. If there were genuinely no strong women to pull from history, there is something to be said about this book being historical fiction. If the author wanted representation, they could have taken some artistic liberty in the matter.
Jacktone Ogada
Currently Reading: A Cobbler's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacktone-ogada.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jacktone Ogada »

I can't blame the author, I blame the narration😁😁. I think the author did what he had to do - write the novel, but the narration took its cause and the female characters came out as they have.
:tiphat: Lead by reading :techie-studyinggray:
Vine Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

This is a historical fiction therefore if the author portrayed women as strong characters or figures it would have been unrealistic.
graciethomas928
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri, Volume 2
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-graciethomas928.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by graciethomas928 »

A lot of people in this thread are talking about Lady Sougyon's strength as a caretaker and wife in a society that was prejudiced towards women. She was an incredibly determined and strong-willed character, but ultimately, the societal pressures against women held her from making a real change for herself or other women in the novel. Of course, I do think that it is very important for authors to write powerful female characters, but in this context, I would defend Bradley's decisions. The history of Korean culture (and many others) is riddled with misogyny and anti-feminist laws and socio-economic norms. Because it is historical fiction, it would have taken away from the novel if it wasn't written like that.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 05:30 In my opinion, this book could represent more women in important roles. However, I also think about the fact that this is a historical fiction novel. Therefore, the author might also be accurately portraying the lack of women in important roles in Asia by the time of the narrative. What do you think about that?
You're absolutely right—at least that's what I think too. If this were a story set in our mordern context, then a dearth of women in leading roles would have been a lot more obvious. But in this context, it would actually be largely unreal, especially since the author was trying to realistically depict the era the story was set in. Women have thankfully grown in leadership and cornerstone roles over the decades, but this wasn't the case historically.

I do also fill, though, that even if this was a story in a mordern setting, it is still the author's prerogative to include women in strong roles or not. After all, it is fiction and every element of the story is original to his own creative ability, so I have no problems with it either way.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I think the book would have been better off with more women characters. Only Lady Sougyon is portrayed as a fascinating character. The rest of the book generalizes the role of women as supporting their husbands while they fought against the Japanese aggression.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I felt that this story does shine light on women who are not leaders. Mrs. Seoh for example, was treated poorly by her father-in-law and her husband could not even defend her. She was also criticized for only having female children as if it were her fault. Lady Sougyon did not have a backbone . She let everyone else take care of her and expected her son to take a job to continue her financial gains. During that time, women were limited to certain roles in society. I am forever thankful we do not live in that type of world today.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

Nobody is really disputing the fact that Lady Sougan was a strong female character. Yes, there were other females mentioned throughout, but in 1912 a woman's most important role was wife and mother. Only a very few worldwide were able to break free from the meekness and silenced nature. It was a man's world for the most part especially in Korea and other Asian countries. While I do love when historical fiction bends a little and make the women seem strong and outspoken, it is what makes them fiction. Lady Sougyon was the exception not the rule back then. To answer the original question though, I do think the author stayed true to the time period.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”