Overall rating and opinion of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the January 2021 Book of the month, The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I I genuinely enjoyed reading the book because it touched on different topics, ranging from the far-reaching implications of foreign occupation to personal and social freedom. The author did a great job of portraying the condition of the marginalized in traditional Korean society. For example, gender inequality affects women from all walks of life, including those belonging to the upper classes or the aristocratic circles.

There was nothing I disliked about the novel. On the contrary, I would warmly recommend it to all fans of historical fiction and the development of international relations at the turn of the 20th century. Those who like reading stories of self-discovery will also be drawn to Embon's quest and evolution.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
lalalalala
Favorite Book: fowl twins
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by lalalalala »

I think its a very good novel because it widens the barrier of knowledge because it represent very well the marginalised in a Korean society . I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read it thought especially the . I find this books explains the fears , the anger of gender discrimination and how it changes and affects people
MureedBaloch
Favorite Book: The Vanished
Currently Reading: Honesty is Key
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by MureedBaloch »

A great job has been done by the Author :D , infact I am still in the vividness of scenarios he depicted Well I was flooded deep while reading this novel , the characters have been described in such a way that each of individual character is definitely proved to look like a hybrid one which is exactly in all cases following to its apparent scenes . A book full of fun ,while read i desperately enjoyed it ,it made my day and mood very fascinated to write an unnecessary comments which may sometimes can't shine its cover page but words inside who read. I also appreciate the glorified OBC team for issuing such a novel for worldwide readers,youngers and the criticising peoples to be aware of the historical facts,colonial suppression,woman's embarrassing moments (that how even with her individualness beeing vanished but she potentially wants her child be the mark of pride ),diplomatic political behaviours as of the princess's father have appeared . Lot of blessings for the Author who had served his precious time on it ,actually because this book's verses may provide some rest in the restless minds as mine.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Since I am a historical fiction fan, I enjoyed reading this book. The author did an excellent job of developing each character. There were also 'facts' inserted about Japan's occupation of Korea and about the uprising, which were very interesting. Some historical fiction novels add too many facts, and it really takes away from the story! I feel the author included just enough and kept the story flowing. Overall, a great job by the author!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
saracristina1998
Favorite Book: Narnia chronicles The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Currently Reading: Nightlord sunset (The Nightlord Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saracristina1998.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by saracristina1998 »

I have begun this book under the promise of it being good historical fiction, and I am liking it so far. the characters are indeed very well described, and even though it frustrates me the lack of independent women in this narration, and can understand it was because of the dictatorship at the time. it is my very first time reading a book explaining conflicts between Korea and Japan. In fact, as far as I knew they had been friends in all history of existence. It is a book I would recommend for a younger audience too since not many know about this conflict and the situation of a marginalized Korea.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

This was a great book, and I beloved it deserves full rating, the author did a great work in character development, as I could easily relate to each and every character, from the beginning of the book to the end.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Kamryn87
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Kamryn87 »

This was a very well written book as well everything was put together in a way that was easy to follow not over done on politics and facts which keeps it interesting to people who shy away from those things. The detail and depth to everything she wrote about was extraordinary I thought . I loved the way the landscapes was portrayed down to the names of individual plants flowers . The food was detailed down to individual names whole banquetsdescribed. I thought it was fantastic. The storyline itself was great different perspectives added was amazing from kings and princesses to rice field workers and miners . Was brilliant fluid transitions into each character. Hands down a great read . Would definitely recommend
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I rated this book a 4 out of 4 stars as it touches on so many themes relevant to the time period. My favorite part of the book was watching Embon go from being under his mother's thumb to an independent young man who learned to stand up for his country. My least favorite part was seeing how miserable both Embon and his wife were in their arranged marriage. I have already recommended it to the ladies in my "real-life" book club as we haven't read anything from this culture and this touches well on it.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I thought the book was pretty good, but the ending disappointing. It was interesting to learn so much about the Korean culture and customs of the early twentieth century. The story has a natural progression, and covered a wide variety of topics, keeping it interesting. Overall, it is a heavy read, but I think worth it. I gave it three out of four stars.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

cristinaro wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 05:41 I I genuinely enjoyed reading the book because it touched on different topics, ranging from the far-reaching implications of foreign occupation to personal and social freedom. The author did a great job of portraying the condition of the marginalized in traditional Korean society. For example, gender inequality affects women from all walks of life, including those belonging to the upper classes or the aristocratic circles.

There was nothing I disliked about the novel. On the contrary, I would warmly recommend it to all fans of historical fiction and the development of international relations at the turn of the 20th century. Those who like reading stories of self-discovery will also be drawn to Embon's quest and evolution.
I agree with you the author was diverse and he touches variety of themes, indeed he did well here, therefore to me this book deserves full rating being that it was also professionally edited.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
angelanikkicea
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelanikkicea.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by angelanikkicea »

I really liked this book. However, I wish that the female characters had better character growth and development. I also wish to hear more about them during the ending of the book. But I do like that this book presents how Korea was in the early 20th century and that it showed the society's standards back then.
Rainytwinie19
Favorite Book: The Not So Great American Novel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Rainytwinie19 »

I did reading the book over all for more than four times. But I didn't found the real meaning related to title. I knew the korean traditional and cultural in emperor's time. She focused on the noble family's daughter and the son she raised by her own and taking much efforts on those. I didn't think emperor and empress let the relative or cousin without partner to attend the ceremony or else. That was the cultural things every asian royal and loyal family did. The ending wasn't nice either. She can end it more smoothly and meaningfully than national activist son who hide away from japanese. I was being much confuse when I look and read all the time. It doesn't make sense at all. I didn't know what she really want to give with this story at all. The important thing in this story was lack of priority on servant levels. There are many servant levels difference in every noble family. So, that issue in this novel make a big mistake.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

According to my personal opinion I like this book very much because it is about international relations Korean society and the historical events and history is my favourite subject. I will also recommend this book to other readers because this book is able to forward and suggest for reading again and again.
Wayne Njoroge
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

I would give the book a rating of 3 out of 4. I find historical fiction novels interesting. I have not read about the history of China, Japan, and the people of Korea; thus, I am not sure how much of the history depicted is real or fiction. Regardless, the novel was a great read: revealing the struggles of people trying to gain independence from an oppressive regime. The downside of the book is that at some point, the narration cut off the story's flow. The book, at times, shifted from one timeline then back into the past, which brought confusion. Nonetheless, this is a great read. I recommend this book to those who love historical fiction novels.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”