Pastors or Priests?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Re: Pastors or Priests?

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Lunastella wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 19:33
Ahbed Nadir wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 07:18 I think it depends on the culture the religion is based in. Different cultures have different titles for different positions.
I understand. But as far as I know, all Catholics call their leaders "Father" or "Priest". Of course, the words change according to the language, but they mean the same. Pastors are far as I know, are for Protestant churches.
Well I think in this case, the author is simply calling his spiritual leader by the name he feels suits him.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Lunastella wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 12:09 Does anyone else find it strange that the author talks about a pastor when he was raised a Catholic?
I quote: "When I confronted my pastor with this observation he said to me, “most people don’t think that deeply”(p. 3).
I was raised a Catholic too and we refer to religious leaders as Priests or, more commonly, Father.
Did I miss something?
I see that.
Priest, pastor...
Maybe it was an editing mistake, or maybe the author does indeed call her Priest, pastor.
Or maybe the usage was deliberate.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

zainherb wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 17:39
Lunastella wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 12:09 Does anyone else find it strange that the author talks about a pastor when he was raised a Catholic?
I quote: "When I confronted my pastor with this observation he said to me, “most people don’t think that deeply”(p. 3).
I was raised a Catholic too and we refer to religious leaders as Priests or, more commonly, Father.
Did I miss something?
I see that.
Priest, pastor...
Maybe it was an editing mistake, or maybe the author does indeed call her Priest, pastor.
Or maybe the usage was deliberate.
What I wonder is what does it mean if it was intentional. What do you think?
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

pricklypurple wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 22:32 I grew up in the Catholic church, went to Catholic school and everything. I only ever remember referring to the priests as Father or Monseigneur. My Lutheran friends all talked about their pastors all of the time.
Yes, the same happened to me. As far as I know, only members of the many branches of the Protestant church call their leaders pastor.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I agree with you. I have only heard Catholics refer to their Priest as a Priest and not a Pastor. I wonder if in Hunt's search for knowledge that he switched churches and so he went to his pastor of another church? With as negative as he was with the Catholics, I wouldn't see him staying in that church.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

I also know Catholic Church call their leader father or priest. Maybe it is from a cultural perspective. Maybe in their church they can call them pastor.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I don't know the exact difference between a pastor and a priest. I think it depends on the culture or the country you are in.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

I wonder if the author's credibility declined with that minor issue. It is true that Catholic Church do not call their leaders pastors. Maybe it was intentional..

cd20 wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 14:42 I agree with you. I have only heard Catholics refer to their Priest as a Priest and not a Pastor. I wonder if in Hunt's search for knowledge that he switched churches and so he went to his pastor of another church? With as negative as he was with the Catholics, I wouldn't see him staying in that church.
That's what I think. That the author might have been soul searching and trying out different churches, but it seems out of place when he's talking about his Catholic background.

joynob24365 wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 21:38 I don't know the exact difference between a pastor and a priest. I think it depends on the culture or the country you are in.
As far as I know, it depends on the religion. Above on the thread, someone mentioned that in the Church if England they call their leaders Vicars and I'm quite sure in the Catholic Church they're priests or Fathers because I was raised in this religion and I live in a predominantly Catholic country.

Alice Ngugi wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 23:59 I wonder if the author's credibility declined with that minor issue. It is true that Catholic Church do not call their leaders pastors. Maybe it was intentional..
I think that in a book that deals with such a controversial topic, precision in all the words and facts is essential not to lose credibility, as you say.
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

I think it is often personal preference and whatever is common in the respective community. Some names are more commonly used in the Catholic faith. I also think potentially there might be a difference in location. I might be wrong but I think pastor is used more in the USA than the UK.
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

Well well, i was also amazed,i mean what actually did Hunt want to bring out .Or maybe editing errors

Daisy Deeh wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 13:00 Well well, i was also amazed,i mean what actually did Hunt want to bring out .Or maybe editing errors
I would love to have a discussion with the author about this and other aspects of the book. Once, if I remember correctly, OBC hosted a discussion with Van Fleischer. It would be awesome to have something like that.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I mean, what's the difference really. Both mean the same thing. Why try to separate religion yet they all serve the exact same God.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”