What is the author's true intention behind writing this book? Is it to prove that the God is true?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

What is the author's true intention behind writing this book? Is it to prove that the God is true?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

It is true that the author has provided many scientific and philosophical details and has let the reader to go for his/her own conclusions, rather than trying to prove anything that the author believes as true or false.

But when the essence of the book is taken into consideration, I feel like that the author's true intention has been to prove that the presence of the God (or a supreme being) is true.

What do you think about that? Do you agree with me?
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I think that they are trying to prove that there is some kind of supernatural being, but also to get people to see outside the box and outside the small box that religion can subconsciously force you to be in
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Sue_neth_ak
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-neth-ak.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

I feel that the author's sole purpose was to share what he had found after quenching his thirst for answers. He had often mentioned and questioned the mainstream beliefs he had grown up with throughout. So I guess it was his own harmless attempt to share with his fellows what he think things are to be. Of course it is a readers job to chose and believe what he or she thinks is right after thinking things through.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 15:53 I think that they are trying to prove that there is some kind of supernatural being, but also to get people to see outside the box and outside the small box that religion can subconsciously force you to be in
Maybe yes. The author believes in God and she wants to prove scientifically that there is some sort of a supreme presence. And she is letting the reader to think freely about their own beliefs and practices
Sushan Ekanayake

Sue_neth_ak wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 02:18 I feel that the author's sole purpose was to share what he had found after quenching his thirst for answers. He had often mentioned and questioned the mainstream beliefs he had grown up with throughout. So I guess it was his own harmless attempt to share with his fellows what he think things are to be. Of course it is a readers job to chose and believe what he or she thinks is right after thinking things through.
That is quite correct. It appears that the author has merely stated the facts, letting the reader to make his/her own decisions. Yet I don't feel that this book is completely unbiased since the author has some background opinions of her own when stating those facts and maybe it is possible that unintentionally she is directing the reader somewhere
Sue_neth_ak
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-neth-ak.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

Sushan wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 04:09
Sue_neth_ak wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 02:18 I feel that the author's sole purpose was to share what he had found after quenching his thirst for answers. He had often mentioned and questioned the mainstream beliefs he had grown up with throughout. So I guess it was his own harmless attempt to share with his fellows what he think things are to be. Of course it is a readers job to chose and believe what he or she thinks is right after thinking things through.
That is quite correct. It appears that the author has merely stated the facts, letting the reader to make his/her own decisions. Yet I don't feel that this book is completely unbiased since the author has some background opinions of her own when stating those facts and maybe it is possible that unintentionally she is directing the reader somewhere
I do have to agree with you on the fact about how the author had stated his own opinions to his own questions amidst scientific facts. So I guess we could still give him the benefit of doubt as to otherwise whether he was intentionally directing the readers or not.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I believe the author is trying to prove that there is some kind of a supreme being, a God, but he also tries to prove that we don't necessarily have to think about this being as God from the Bible.
Sushan Ekanayake

Dominik_G wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 06:03 I believe the author is trying to prove that there is some kind of a supreme being, a God, but he also tries to prove that we don't necessarily have to think about this being as God from the Bible.
God from the bible is accepted by some but not all. Yes, here the author tries to show that according to quantum physics and philosophy that there is a some sort of superior being, which is addressed in many ways in various religions
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I agree, I think they were trying to open up a different perspective of the Bible that is usually supressed by those who lead the Church, at least in terms of Catholicism. He allows the reader to make up their own minds, and isn't trying to force anyone to change their own beliefs, simply see a different side of them.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Eareeves99
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ones
Bookshelf Size: 326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eareeves99.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Eareeves99 »

Dr. Hunt is a medical doctor who seems to have been hurt by overzealous practitioners of religion and has since, in his cynicism, developed his own ideas and opinions about who God is. I think he does believe in a god but he has taken his beliefs from fragments of things that others believe to be true and what he wants to be true; he has created his own god.
Sushan Ekanayake

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 11:17
I agree, I think they were trying to open up a different perspective of the Bible that is usually supressed by those who lead the Church, at least in terms of Catholicism. He allows the reader to make up their own minds, and isn't trying to force anyone to change their own beliefs, simply see a different side of them.
That is the face value of this book. The author merely states the facts from areas that not many have touched earlier and opens the minds of the people to see things differently. Still, what we have to keep in mind is that the author is not totally unbiased and he has his own opinions as well
Sushan Ekanayake

Eareeves99 wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 11:28 Dr. Hunt is a medical doctor who seems to have been hurt by overzealous practitioners of religion and has since, in his cynicism, developed his own ideas and opinions about who God is. I think he does believe in a god but he has taken his beliefs from fragments of things that others believe to be true and what he wants to be true; he has created his own god.
It seems so. He simply wants to believe of a supreme being and yet he wants that to be rational and scientifically proven. He has lead his studies through that pathway and the things that he found have been conveyed via this book
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

I think the purpose of writing this book was to take the reader down a path of sorting through what we have all been taught throughout our lives about God and boil it down to the basic truths that we can use as a foundation for our relationship with God. He brings it down to two commands that Jesus gave us - first to Love God and second to Love our Neighbor. If we can accomplish that, everything else is noise and doesn't matter.
Sushan Ekanayake

Twylla wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 15:37 I think the purpose of writing this book was to take the reader down a path of sorting through what we have all been taught throughout our lives about God and boil it down to the basic truths that we can use as a foundation for our relationship with God. He brings it down to two commands that Jesus gave us - first to Love God and second to Love our Neighbor. If we can accomplish that, everything else is noise and doesn't matter.
Yes, the author questions all the traditional and ancient teachings regarding the god and the universe and tries to build up a rational and scientific argument. But the issue is that he is already having his preoccupied ideas about the matter
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

I understood the book was trying to convey some inner meanings. It is totally about there is a supreme power on top of all living race and that needs to be acknowledged by every living being in the world.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”