Continuing the time machine project

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Continuing the time machine project

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Bisqwik wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 10:32 There could be some ethical uses for time travel, maybe introducing technology sooner in order to help humanity maybe? The distortion effect could remain as a plot device, either to add new issues or to be solved for there to be a sequel?
That is aanother good use. Seeing the future technology today will hasten the development of the whole world, benefiting all. That can go either way since the future technology includes weapons as well. It all depends on who owns the ability to use it.

So definitely this must have a sequel and Ron have to continue the project
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I find it difficult to believe that using a time machine to manipulate the future would turn out well. (Remember "Minority Report"?) I wonder if Ron is planning to groom someone like Regina did with him? A young mind that could compete with him at chess could also be introduced to the study of time. That would be interesting to see in a sequel.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Sushan wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 15:47
lavkathleen wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 05:51
aacodreanu wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 05:11 Ron preserved or hid Regina's time machine. This means that it could be reactivated, perhaps by Ron's young chess apprentice.
Would that be wise?
How could it be used in an ethical way?
Didn't he destroy it? Anyway, yes, I've been thinking about his chess apprentice. Maybe they would be in the next book, if there would be a sequel. But like I said he already destroyed it, because he couldn't continue the project anymore. Also, I can't think of a good thing that will come out of looking into the future.
Anything is possible if a sequel comes. It is a time machine. How can we know if it can affect the time by itself. Maybe it is not destroyed at all. Maybe in some other reality it is fully functioning.

I don't know whether this is ethical, but I would love to use it to get to know the tomorrow's lottery winning numbers
:lol2: That's what they kind of did, right? Except they did it with stock markets instead.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

The book did leave room for a sequel with Ron taking on an apprentice in the form of the chess whiz. Since he is aware of the dangers of using the time machine, he would need a compelling motive for rebuilding it. So far, he'd mainly used it to predict stock fluctuations. What if something happened that made him decide to use it to predict natural disasters or terrorist attacks? What could he do with that foreknowledge?
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

I think this is a loaded question.
Assuming the time machine could be fixed, whether it is wise or ethical to use it is subjective. There are going to be arguments to either side. The time machine could cause a complete change in events, for good or bad. There is no knowing without doing it. It's almost like Shroedinger's Cat.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I really feel like time travel is one of those concepts that's just too dangerous to try to successfully accomplish. I feel like there's too much potential damage that could be done, and I don't honestly know if I'd trust humanity to use it wisely.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

diana lowery wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 09:38 I like the idea of preventing crime rather than using the machine to make money off of the stock market.
I see eye to eye with you. However I do not think that if time machines were created now, people won't necessarily use them for good deeds. It might me horrible and sad but can we truly believe that people will do good with such a powerful machine.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

I think it would be wise, and even more beneficial if it is upgraded to look more deeper into the future.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

I don't think a time-machine would be used in an ethical manner on a larger scale. Even if Ron finds it in himself to wait for so many years for the chess apprentice to grow up and then help him repair and reactivate the machine, it would have to be done in secret and so the impact would be too small to make any real difference.
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

[bn=][bn=][/bn][/bn]
aacodreanu wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 05:11 Ron preserved or hid Regina's time machine. This means that it could be reactivated, perhaps by Ron's young chess apprentice.
Would that be wise?
I would not particularly comment on the ethical aspect, whether the time machine would be used to do something ethical. But, I feel, one thing is for sure, that the author should come up with some interesting ideas on how the time-machine could be used in the sequel of this story, maybe by Ron's young chess apprentice.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

NetMassimo wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 09:28 A good part of a sequel's plot might be the development of a solution to overcome the distortion problem. I wonder if the author has some ideas for a sequel.
Even I feel that the author may come up with ideas related to the development of a solution to overcome the distortion problem in a sequel to this book.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

lavkathleen wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 05:51
Would that be wise?
Didn't he destroy it? Anyway, yes, I've been thinking about his chess apprentice. Maybe they would be in the next book, if there would be a sequel. But like I said he already destroyed it, because he couldn't continue the project anymore. Also, I can't think of a good thing that will come out of looking into the future.
I guess it was not destroyed, and the time machine is a vital part of this story; so further experiments on time machine may be included in the sequel of this book.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

I found the result of your post that despite the way that you can simply notice the future, it is all that anybody could require to use it as a weapon. In any case, if it is in adequate hands it will be put to all the more promptly use, for instance, to turn out to be more familiar with cataclysmic occasions and thwart bad behaviors.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

ashleymarie310 wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 18:48 I don't think it would be wise. The implications and possibility of that power being abused is too high. It really becomes a question of whether the ethical uses of it - being able to stop large-scale crimes before they happen, being able to plan for natural disasters that may come out of nowhere, etc - outweigh the potential for abuse.
In my opinion, the time machine project cannot be removed from the story ahead as it is crucial to the storyline. Definitely, there is the possibility of the power of the time machine being abused, but it would depend on who has got access to it.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Iris Marsh wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 05:51 I like the idea of it being used to prevent crime; seems nobler at least than using it to predict stock and get rich. But I also agree with Ashley that it would probably be abused for bad things if word got out. Though they did make sure it couldn't be used as a weapon, right?
I would not comment on the point of using the time machine to predict stock and get rich. But obviously, caution is needed to control access to this machine as it could go into some hands that would use it for criminal purposes.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”