What questions remain unanswered for you?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
jhnews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhnews.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Icon What questions remain unanswered for you?

Post by jhnews »

Timewise by Robert Leet attempted to wrap up the story quickly, I felt. How did you feel about the way Louise’s story ended? How do you feel about the buried time machine? (Spoiler alert) Did Regina’s reasoning for ending her life then and there make sense? Would she not have set up her work better to ensure that Ron would continue her experiments?
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

jhnews wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 23:32 Timewise by Robert Leet attempted to wrap up the story quickly, I felt. How did you feel about the way Louise’s story ended? How do you feel about the buried time machine? (Spoiler alert) Did Regina’s reasoning for ending her life then and there make sense? Would she not have set up her work better to ensure that Ron would continue her experiments?
To answer your questions:

1.) I love that a transgender character was part of the story; I wish she stayed and had a more important role, though. The ending given to her was concerning! I wish we knew what exactly happened.
2.) I've already mentioned that it was anticlimactic. It was such a waste.
3.) From my perspective, it did. She was already dying from radioactive poisoning, and I guess she also used that to do her (hypothetically) one last experiment—travelling through time herself. It made me sad but... what a way to go, if you ask me.
4.) I haven't thought about that, but that would've been practical and, as a reader, more satisfying. The only downside to that thought is that Ron is mathematician, not a physicist. He may have understood her work on an impressive level, but to continue Regina's work... you have to be Regina yourself or someone better. I guess he got rid of it as he wouldn't be able to continue and make more progress, anyway. Also, he's in too much pain to even go inside the lab.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

lavkathleen wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 02:43
jhnews wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 23:32 Timewise by Robert Leet attempted to wrap up the story quickly, I felt. How did you feel about the way Louise’s story ended? How do you feel about the buried time machine? (Spoiler alert) Did Regina’s reasoning for ending her life then and there make sense? Would she not have set up her work better to ensure that Ron would continue her experiments?
To answer your questions:

1.) I love that a transgender character was part of the story; I wish she stayed and had a more important role, though. The ending given to her was concerning! I wish we knew what exactly happened.
2.) I've already mentioned that it was anticlimactic. It was such a waste.
3.) From my perspective, it did. She was already dying from radioactive poisoning, and I guess she also used that to do her (hypothetically) one last experiment—travelling through time herself. It made me sad but... what a way to go, if you ask me.
4.) I haven't thought about that, but that would've been practical and, as a reader, more satisfying. The only downside to that thought is that Ron is mathematician, not a physicist. He may have understood her work on an impressive level, but to continue Regina's work... you have to be Regina yourself or someone better. I guess he got rid of it as he wouldn't be able to continue and make more progress, anyway. Also, he's in too much pain to even go inside the lab.
I also wanted to learn more about the transgender character. Robert Leet left me hanging. I found it s bit sloppy to highlight the character and conclude the chapter in a short instance.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 14:42 I also wanted to learn more about the transgender character. Robert Leet left me hanging. I found it s bit sloppy to highlight the character and conclude the chapter in a short instance.
I brushed it off at first as something normally done to side characters. The author ended it by making it even between Louise and Ron, so I thought it was okay. But you're right, she was kind of used as a mere plot device at the end.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Louise seems to be an interesting character. His/her lifestyle was a bit complicated. In my opinion, I would have preferred that Louise's story was pushed further and some of the physics topics reduced. Nevertheless, it did not affect my reading experience.
Jabril Miller
Currently Reading: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-12ultimate.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Jabril Miller »

I'm curious who the girl at the end of the story is, since my thought process and the nature of the topic of the book being discussed (i.e. quantum physics) leads me to believe the "end" of a "certain someone" wasn't as final as the story made it out to be... though of course, it's impossible to know given the circumstances of how the story ended.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

What did the FBI want to know about Louise?
Did Ron keep all of Regina's research secret after she died?
What did Ron intend to do with his education after the end of the work with Regina?
Why didn't Ron let Regina know what he felt for her?
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Mounce574 wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 00:02 What did the FBI want to know about Louise?
Did Ron keep all of Regina's research secret after she died?
What did Ron intend to do with his education after the end of the work with Regina?
Why didn't Ron let Regina know what he felt for her?
I also wanted to know why Ron kept his feelings a secret. Maybe then I'd he had confessed Regina would have found a better reason to live. Her insecurities and resentment would have scaled down too.
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Iris Marsh »

I also felt the ending was anti-climactic. I get that it came 'full-circle', and I do like the idea that this new girl might become some sort of 'new Regina'. Endings leading to new beginnings.
But considering the amount of time that's spent on the whole machine and the physics behind it, it felt strange that it would just end with Regina's death. I'd hoped Ron would continue it somehow. I do understand why Regina decided to end her life that way; I don't think dying from radiation poisoning is what you would call a quick and peaceful death. It did leave me with the question: did it work? Was she successful?
And I also want to know what happened to Louise! I loved her character and was a bit annoyed that she also ended up having sex with Ron. And the way she left was worrisome; I hope she's okay and the guy didn't turn out to be some sort of weirdo.
Amber_joslyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-joslyn.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Amber_joslyn »

Did anyone else find it interesting that the major relationships in Ron's life, were all with women (besides a minimal, business-like relationship with Tom)? Do you think that there is a symbolic relevance to this?
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Amber_joslyn wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 21:06 Did anyone else find it interesting that the major relationships in Ron's life, were all with women (besides a minimal, business-like relationship with Tom)? Do you think that there is a symbolic relevance to this?
I don't know if there is symbolism in it,but Ron seems to prefer older women. I can attribute that to his nurturing. He grew up with foster adults. His company during chess and poker challenges is presumably older folks. This might have contributed to his likeness.
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

Amber_joslyn wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 21:06 Did anyone else find it interesting that the major relationships in Ron's life, were all with women (besides a minimal, business-like relationship with Tom)? Do you think that there is a symbolic relevance to this?
I think that Ron was just surviving for so long that his relationships were ones that were kind of thrust upon him, not something that he sought out. Women would do that if they found him interesting or attractive. Men, not so much. Since he grew up bouncing around from home to home, I'm not sure that he knew how to instigate and develop relationships on his own. I think that's partly why his marriage failed, he didn't know how to reciprocate and keep things growing and fresh. Either that or he recognized that his heart wasn't truly in it to begin with and that it was a marriage of convenience that served them well for a while.
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

lavkathleen wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 02:57
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 14:42 I also wanted to learn more about the transgender character. Robert Leet left me hanging. I found it s bit sloppy to highlight the character and conclude the chapter in a short instance.
I agree that this was pretty anticlimactic, but I think part of the allure of Louise was always her mysterious ways. I do wish Leet hadn't made Tony out to be a "bad guy," as I think that kind of makes me want an ending or at least a phone call from Louise saying she separated from him or that there was a misunderstanding (SOMETHING, ANYTHING!?). I feel like if he was introduced earlier and we knew him better, it would have been a satisfactory ending.
ShelleyH
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelleyh.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by ShelleyH »

It DID wrap up rather suddenly! And then it's all over??? I thought the ending was abrupt and strange and unfortunate. I would have liked to see Ron make future use of Regina's invention.
ShelleyH
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelleyh.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by ShelleyH »

Absolutely! I put that in my review, that Ron seemed to bag a lot of gorgeous women! It made it feel like a James Bond story with no average or ugly secondary characters.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”