Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Post by kdstrack »

I did not like Ron's multiple relationships. It made him seem like an unstable character. He seemed intellectual, but not emotionally intelligent. Regina saw his intellectual potential and paid for his university studies so she could bounce her theories about time off of his mind. Regina was focused, but Ron was bouncing all over the place moving from one relationship to the next.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I did not like Ron's multiple relationships. It made him seem like an unstable character. He seemed intellectual, but not emotionally intelligent. Regina saw his intellectual potential and paid for his university studies so she could bounce her theories about time off of his mind. Regina was focused, but Ron was bouncing all over the place moving from one relationship to the next.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Marty_Kelly wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 05:58 I think the many relationships, in a way, contributes to Ron's character because all those relationships were initiated by the ladies. This reflects to some extent his lack of control/direction/focus in many aspects of his life.
Agree with you, this is a part of his character. Even if it portrays him negatively. Anyways as normal human beings, as we read the story we start associating ourselves with the characters. It might be disheartening for some to find flaws in Ron's character.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

Ron multiple relationship depict a real life situation in our world where you move from one relationship to the other looking for the perfect partner. Ron was lucky in the end but it not normally so in real life.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

1femi1 wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 23:38 Ron multiple relationship depict a real life situation in our world where you move from one relationship to the other looking for the perfect partner. Ron was lucky in the end but it not normally so in real life.
That is true. Finding the love of your life or the perfect partner is just rare and a bit unrealistic. As in many things, in relationships also you can have trials. and errors. That is what Ron undergoes in his life with his multiple relationships and from each of them he gains different sort of experiences to his life
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Sushan wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 10:58
lavkathleen wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 03:19
maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him.
I agree with this, but I don't think he went into those relationships to "bring out the best in him", though. I think it was only coincidence that he met those women and eventually got attracted to them—that's all it is. I understand that you enjoyed the book less, though. The author needs to resort to something else to make the character more interesting.
Maybe that was coincidence, maybe not. Anyway he went from one relationship to another. The moral value of what he did is questionable. Yet it was an aspect that the author used for character development
That's right. He was also in different settings and situations when he had those relationships, so it doesn't really revolve around that. I don't know what about the higher-than-usual number of relationships in a story got these people upset. :lol2:
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Moocow1213
Currently Reading: Empath Ebook
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moocow1213.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Moocow1213 »

I think that you don't need multiple relationships 'to bring out the best' in someone. But I do believe that having multiple relationships in a person's life is considered normal for a large amount of people, thus I like that he had multiple relationships but I don't think that having multiple relationships 'brings out the best' in that person, and that this is something which could happen with one relationship or none.
Student, book obsessed and a spiritual individual
'Trust the process'
Eareeves99
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ones
Bookshelf Size: 326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eareeves99.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Eareeves99 »

I think it is normal for a person to have multiple relationships, though the level to which a person takes those relationships varies from person to person. I believe we are all products of multiple aspects of our lives, especially the relationships we experience. However those relationships end, we learn from them. Hopefully, those we invest time in challenge us in multiple ways and encourage us to think and grow. Ron would be a different person had he not had those relationships. Think of the depth of the descriptions of nature in the text; I don't think they would've been so beautiful without Cheryl.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I felt that his relationships with other women was normal. As an average individual, you are bound to meet people and form bonds with them, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll be limited to one person or the first two.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I think it's normal. Not everyone finds love in their first few relationships. It's okay to experiment and search for the one.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I don't think any of those relationships bring the best out of him, but not because of the number, but because Ron lacks personal development. I hate the topic of thinking that a woman/man/couple should make you better/be your hero. Partners in life should help you become better and encourage it, but, in the end, these changes are personal. Ron lacks a development because he remains the same since the beginning, he doesn't question what happens or how it affects it, he just goes through life. He is smart, but he lacks emotional responsibility and abilities, and I think that is why his first relationship doesn't even have a name. Women in his life seem to be interchangeable. He likes to feel listened, to be used by them because they are smart. This is a kind of trope opposite to the manic-pixie-dream girl. They are there to help him become better, but in the end, the ones that move on and do something better are them, and this is by getting away from him. He stops growing, so they move on. Ron is just a flat character there. And personally, I don't think this has anything to do with numbers, we are free to have as many relationships as we want, as long as we are clear about our feelings, have emotional responsibility, and don't hurt anyone.
Steve23kn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steve23kn.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Steve23kn »

I concur with this however, I likewise comprehend that even, all things considered, not every person finds "the one" on one attempt , so I can not blame him for this. Ron's various connections didn't cause me to appreciate the book any less.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

lavkathleen wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 01:50
raj_nandani_poet wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 11:44 I agree with you. There is no need to include multiple relationships to prove the point. Other aspects of life or other incidents could have been used to depict his characteristics. But if there is any other reason that any one of you think I might've missed for his multiple relationships, I want to know that.
I think it says a lot about how his personality developed as someone who jumped from one foster home to another, again and again. People take advantage of perks of adopting foster children, which leads to the kids not receiving the attention and affection that they need while growing up.
So poor Ron is used to jumping from one foster home to another. As a result, he grew up and started jumping from one lady to another.

However, there is something good about his multiple relationships. Ron learns something from every woman. Thanks to Regina, he learns a lot about science, thanks to Cheryl, he learns a lot about nature, and thanks to Sheila, he learns a lot about money.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I think it’s a personal choice. I do not have any complaints about Ron having multiple relationships.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

Ron shouldn't had multiple relationships, But to be honest (my Opinion), I think it some how had to fit his pet character.

So, I must say I liked it that he had multiple relationships as I followed them up each time scenes of that theme popped up, I couldn't mind tuning the pages.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”