Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
maiiii_maii
Currently Reading: Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maiiii-maii.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem

Icon Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Post by maiiii_maii »

In the story, Ron has one relationship after the other. On my part, it dampened my interest in the story. I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him. What do you guys think?
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him.
I agree with this, but I don't think he went into those relationships to "bring out the best in him", though. I think it was only coincidence that he met those women and eventually got attracted to them—that's all it is. I understand that you enjoyed the book less, though. The author needs to resort to something else to make the character more interesting.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

I don't think the intention of the writer was for those multiple relationships to bring out the best in Ron. The writer might have designed Ron's character that way to simply depict life's realities; not everyone finds true love at first instance. Sometimes, we go in and out of relationships before we finally find the one that completes us.
houligan19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houligan19.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by houligan19 »

I did not feel that his relationships were too much or detracted from the character. It is pretty normal to have multiple relationships through life, and I thought that the way they added to his character was very interesting. I especially liked Cheryl and the lessons she taught him.
Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marty-kelly.html
Latest Review: Genetic Spurn - The Reality? by M. R. Coates - Rutgers Univ. GSM

Post by Marty_Kelly »

I think the many relationships, in a way, contributes to Ron's character because all those relationships were initiated by the ladies. This reflects to some extent his lack of control/direction/focus in many aspects of his life.
EnobongGold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by EnobongGold »

I may not know exactly why he had multiple relationships, or if it is in his character to do so. I don't also want to judge him, but in his case here I would say he was extremely lucky because he became successful in these relationship. Another person that tries this may not be lucky, having multiple relationships is not a good thing so I don't subscribe to it.
EnobongGold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by EnobongGold »

I would say Ron had no self discipline.
One being successful does not depend on the number of relationships one keeps
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

I usually don't like it when a character has multiple relationships, especially when they bring no character growth, which is the case in this book, so it's no surprise that I didn't like it. However, I understand that having relationships is a natural thing in real-life, so why not bring it into a book too?
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 In the story, Ron has one relationship after the other. On my part, it dampened my interest in the story. I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him. What do you guys think?
I wouldn't say Ron is engaged in multiple serious relationship. He was never into it that deep, not until he had a project in mind where he met his business mentor. He might have had an interest in different women but not to a fruitful extent.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

lavkathleen wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 03:19
maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him.
I agree with this, but I don't think he went into those relationships to "bring out the best in him", though. I think it was only coincidence that he met those women and eventually got attracted to them—that's all it is. I understand that you enjoyed the book less, though. The author needs to resort to something else to make the character more interesting.
Ron must have been naive in the beginning. He always wanted something or someone to connect with. And as an orphan he was lacking in attention and loneliness was a constant issue. I think this is the reason he clings so fast to whoever he meets. Do you have a different opinion?
Muvokav
Favorite Book: The Sky is Everywhere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muvokav.html
Latest Review: Heat: by H.M. Irwing

Post by Muvokav »

I agree with this, but I don't think he went into those relationships to "bring out the best in him". I also understand that even in real life not everyone finds "the one" on one try , so I can not fault him for this. Ron's numerous relationships did not make me enjoy the book any less.
Latest Review: Heat: by H.M. Irwing
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Muvokav wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 07:37 I agree with this, but I don't think he went into those relationships to "bring out the best in him". I also understand that even in real life not everyone finds "the one" on one try , so I can not fault him for this. Ron's numerous relationships did not make me enjoy the book any less.
I believe the multiple interactions revealed Ron's true nature and his behavior towards those he had love for, made the narrative interesting. I cannot find anything wrong with the relationships, what fascinated me is how fast he fell in love. The occasion where he meets Regina ends up with him falling in love.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

I liked that the book had an aspect of romance. I think it made Ron more vulnerable and believable. Over 15 years, it was not that many women. He also respected his marriage vows, so the relationships were positive.
~ Valerie
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 01:58
lavkathleen wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 03:19
Ron must have been naive in the beginning. He always wanted something or someone to connect with. And as an orphan he was lacking in attention and loneliness was a constant issue. I think this is the reason he clings so fast to whoever he meets. Do you have a different opinion?
I haven't thought of it that way, but I agree with you—it makes sense. Now that you mentioned it, I realized I can relate with Ron a little. But then again, don't we all need and crave that connection with someone?
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

valeriejane wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:30 I liked that the book had an aspect of romance. I think it made Ron more vulnerable and believable. Over 15 years, it was not that many women. He also respected his marriage vows, so the relationships were positive.
~ Valerie
What I didn't like as much was the fact that Ron didn't fall in love with Regina. He had a crash on her when they first met but his zeal diminished with time. Part of the reason he is able to stand up into a real relationship with Sheila is because of his improved self awarenesses. I also agree that the relationships weren't numerous.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”