Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Post by a_r_egerton »

Given that the story covers about 15 years, I'd expect Ron to have had several relationships. This is especially true before he met and married Sheila.

Moreover, Ron isn't portrayed as a "player" who has several lovers at once. Instead, he's monogamous and has only one serious relationship at a time.

The only time I considered Ron's behavior questionable was when he allowed his work with Regina to affect his marriage. Since he mentions that 9/11 had affected Sheila's personality, his marriage could have fizzled anyway, though.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Ron having one relationship after another is good to keep him focused. Too many relationships can jeopardize his union.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

From the beginning I had an assumption that Robert would focus in on time and explain it as the story spread out. However, that wasn't the circumstance. The story streams effectively with various events without wandering from the rule subject of time.Ron needs an ideal occasion to learn and get himself. It is definitely that he gets sagacious and makes remarkable decisions.
Wekesa Namuyonga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wekesa-namuyonga.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Wekesa Namuyonga »

Ron having multiple relationships is acceptable, even in this day to day life men are allowed to have multiple relation. I honestly like the way the author understands the nature of men and has expressed it very perfect.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I feel like Ron’s relationships could have been explored more since they seemed to play a significant role in his life. I didn’t like how he seemed to objectify those women and felt the characters could have been written.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-bianca-mas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00TREI0F2

Post by Pamela Bianca Mas »

For the sake of the story, I think, it is understandable because it is part of how the author painted Ron’s personality. But being in multiple relationships has its pros and cons. The advantage being he will have so much chances at learning about dealing with different people in a personal level. On the other hand, it’s very time consuming and it will not promote the value of commitment and maturity.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

Ron being in multiple relationships could be seen as the personality flaw of the character. He didn't really get into these relationships because he wants to bring out the best in him. It's just a flaw he had less control over.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

Considering how young he was when we started the novel and the length of time that passed by its conclusion, I'm not surprised that he had a few relationships along the way. Becoming close to people and then outgrowing them with time is a part of life. Therefore I didn't mind the inclusion of Ron's romantic endeavors, and I found the different women in his life to be interesting characters.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I didn't have a problem with him having multiple relationships because I felt it added more realism to the book. One cannot always expect to find true love at the first try and all the women gave him new experiences and he came out of the relationships a little bit more different and matured than when he went in. So I feel it was a very nice touch by the author.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

I don't like that Ron had multiple relationships. It just shows that he seeks a love that he cannot find. I think that when one loves someone, they give him all his heart and fullness of his soul.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I agree with you that a person definitely does not need more realtionships in order to get the best out of him. I don't think this element is cleverly clarified. I personally feel that no other person is needed for a man to be better.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

Arimart99 wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 21:12 I usually don't like it when a character has multiple relationships, especially when they bring no character growth, which is the case in this book, so it's no surprise that I didn't like it. However, I understand that having relationships is a natural thing in real-life, so why not bring it into a book too?
I agree with you. This is not a preference in books for me either, but often times the author can make the character's life a little more interesting in this way, which certain readers would like. Like you said, a person can have more connections in real life, why not have a character in a book as well.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

Kibetious wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 00:35 Hopping from relationship to another has never been a good idea for me. This is the same case for Ron. It would be better to always give yourself time to know what the cause of the break-ups before moving to the next relationship.
I think for most people, jumping from one relationship to another in a short period of time would be reckless. I also feel that a person needs some time to be with himself and to heal mentally. However, this is again the choice of the author and a possible depiction of this kind of man going from relationship to relationship. I don’t see anything wrong with that if it doesn’t hurt the man himself.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

The author might have had other intentions of making the character, Ron, have multiple relationships, such as to make him interesting to read or make readers look forward to his 'exploits' with women. But I understand how tiring it can be for one character to enter into numerous relationships. However, this didn't make me lose interest in the book at any point.
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

True, he doesn't need to be in multiple relationships to "feel" himself. Though I think that's actually the way the author wanted to portray the character.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”