What's your favorite quote from Timewise? Why?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Re: What's your favorite quote from Timewise? Why?

Post by Foluso Falaye »

jhnews wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 20:53 I have two that I can't decide between!
"I've learned that awareness creates time." At the first glance, I was stunned to understand what she meant on the everyday level, but as the book continued, she lost me on the topic. :D
“His smile was like a warm cloak on a cold day.” This filled me with happiness! :)
I feel awareness co-creates everything in existence. Will there be a world with nobody to be aware of it and qualify it as a world? When I first thought about it, I felt it was deep, like it was a new thing. But then I realized I had heard about something similar, which is what I mentioned first about awareness co-creating everything in existence.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

“Magic isn’t being able to wave a wand and cast some spell that furthers one’s own will. Magic is understanding that we’re much vaster than we can know, because we’re part of all of this.”
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Life is beautiful, too precious to squander, but being a ripple of something vastly larger is also beautiful. We always want more; we want to live forever. We get much more but it might not be what we thought it would be.' I find great self-expression in the aforementioned words exchanged between the Physics professor and the protagonist of the story in course of their growing relationship!
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

As a math-lover myself, I loved Ron's explanation of why he loved math. It described such a familiar feeling. "Mathematics is also a refuge because it is logical, it is precise, it is unassailable and therefore eternal."
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

valeriejane wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:45 “One of Newton’s best-known laws is ‘For every action, there is an equal reaction’—but that first action is always a reaction to a previous action. The way I describe it is that every action is the result of awareness of a previous action.”

Leet, Robert. Timewise (p. 55). Porter Field Publishing LLC. Kindle Edition.
If I may add, the action that created the awareness was itself a response to another action and the chain of reaction continues. So the author has very easily proved that anything that happens in this world is related.
This transition from science to philosophy makes me interested in this book.
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

'If a subject couldn't be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either'.

I love this quote, because honestly if you understand a concept, you also understand the journey from not understanding it to understanding it. You know what could confuse a layman and what needs to be cleared, thus you should be able to explain it to anyone.
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

My favorite quote has to be "'If a subject couldn't be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either". You can't teach effectively what you don't know! It's that simple
Dabrielle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabrielle.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Dabrielle »

My favorite quote from Timewise is "awareness creates time". Now, when I first read this quote early in the novel it struck me as meaningful because I felt that an active understanding of what is happening around you gives you a measure of control of your circumstances. This quote was eventually requoted later in the book and explained by Regina.
Kyhm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyhm.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kyhm »

"If you simply learn to recognize what you see, you'll only see what you already know. The trick is to recognize what you don't know, to see what you don't recognize. Then you can begin to learn." Surprisingly, this one stuck in my mind as well.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 23:30 'If a subject couldn't be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either.'

The quote above resonated with me the most. It's clear and well put. It requires a deeper understanding of a subject's complexity for you to explain it in its simplest form.
It's mine too. It accurately explains the true meaning of understanding any concept.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

Mine is-
"Trying for perfection shows a lack of imagination and a misunderstanding of reality."
I think aiming for perfection is a waste of time and deviates us from actual meaningful things. This quote couldn't have supported my thinking better. I am already using it like crazy.
Cassie_Megan
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassie-megan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Cassie_Megan »

"It's a cliché to say there is no luck in poker. (..) This cliché happens to be accurate". I am a big fan of poker so this is the quote that I remember well and use with some of my non-poker-player friends.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I must bookmark the quotes. But I did like Cheryl's explanation about nature. She compared the whole earth with a human being. The clouds were compared with lungs. Humans with lovely. It changed my perspective, about walking, like in the case of Ron. Consider the earth to be a living being, give a very energetic and respectful feeling to earth.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I was especially fond of "When I say I found mathematics to be a refuge I may be understating my feelings," mostly because I, myself, am extremely fond of math. Also, math is one of Ron's strengths, but it's nice to know he had emotional attachment to it as well.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

'If a subject couldn't be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either'.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”