Living life to the fullest?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Living life to the fullest?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Arite Seki wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 16:53
lavkathleen wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 03:07 Oh, wow.

They didn't share it with anyone else because of how dangerous it would be if it went to the wrong hands. I guess that's where it got wasted: how we simply cannot trust people to be kind and compassionate, and the fear this creates. But I wouldn't say Ron wasted his life. I think time is worth being spent with someone you love, whether it ends well or not. Also, if I'm going to be working with time machines with them, I don't care if I have to spend my whole life with that person. :lol:
I definitely agree. I think the "worthiness" of one's life can only be self-defined. I believe that if he was spending that time with someone he loved, then that feeling would make the time worth being spent regardless of what happens
I too agree with that. It differs in the view of different persons perspect. But I believe that life has to be lived and if you lived happily in your own measures, that can't be taken as a wasted life. Ron amd Regina lived happily together in the time that they had, and it can't be taken as a waste of time or their lives
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

ashleymarie310 wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 18:52 I don't think it's possible to objectively say whether it was a waste of their time and lives. Different people get fulfillment from different things. In this case, it seems like Ron got that sense of fulfillment from spending time with someone he had a genuine connection and love for. That doesn't seem wasteful to me.
Exactly my thoughts. Living a life to the fullest is a subjective experience. Here both of them lived in each others' company happily, and I believe that is what matters at the end, and they did not waste their lives
Sushan Ekanayake

Devika Rajesh wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 23:46 I really don't think that Ron wasted him time. Because he was with someone he loves. And in the end, it's what matters.
Not only Ron, even Regina had the company that she adored, the one who she loved with her. And what else someone need to fulfill their life and to say that he/she lived it to the fullest
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Thea Frederick wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 20:16
lavkathleen wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 03:07 Oh, wow.

They didn't share it with anyone else because of how dangerous it would be if it went to the wrong hands. I guess that's where it got wasted: how we simply cannot trust people to be kind and compassionate, and the fear this creates. But I wouldn't say Ron wasted his life. I think time is worth being spent with someone you love, whether it ends well or not. Also, if I'm going to be working with time machines with them, I don't care if I have to spend my whole life with that person. :lol:
Hm, I like that. But it is sad, isn't it? We are so controlled by fear and relationships can be so insecure that sometimes we do not feel that it is safe to communicate something important, in case people abuse it.
It is! Some of us lose ideologies because of these dangers, ideologies that could make this world a little better. If only people aren't greedy, Regina could've shared her time machine with everyone.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Kaivalya Khisti
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaivalya-khisti.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Kaivalya Khisti »

Tune spent well is not time wasted. So I don’t believe Ron wasted his time.
Amber_joslyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-joslyn.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Amber_joslyn »

I don't think any of it was a waste. It meant something to them and they lived their lives trying to achieve and perfect something they both believed in. I think that's an interesting perspective to say that they might have wasted their time/lives just because they didn't share their accomplishments with others. I think there is a sense of satisfaction in accomplishing something you believed in, and no one else can tell you that you wasted your time or that it wasn't a worthy accomplishment if it was important to you.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

I think your comment is going to lead to a lot of subjective answers. I don't think we will truly ever be able to find them.
She may not consider it a waste of her life as she found the answer/solution to her question. However, others may find it a waste of life as she never shared it.
As to whether he wasted his life being interested in her, that can also go either way. That said, if he did not spend his time focusing on her, events would be different. Every action has a consequence or reaction. In that case, if things changed, the book would not go in the direction it did.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

There are things in life that are worth more than your existence. If you ask a lot of successful people will tell you that pic a goal in life that consumes you whole. That's how you will succeed in life. Therefore, I think it was worth their lives.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

It might be naive of me to say this, but I believe that even If you become obsessed over something that takes away your time or life, you are not wasting anything. As long as that thing fulfils your desires or needs and you are not purposely hurting anyone, you are not wasting you life.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

I think time merits being gone through with somebody you love, if it closes well. Additionally, in case I will be working with time machines with them, I couldn't care less on the off chance that I need to consume my entire time on earth with that individual.
SarahTheReader
Currently Reading: Mansfield Park
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahthereader.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by SarahTheReader »

It is interesting you posed these questions because time is a social construct that we have commodified. We have placed a value on our time, whether it is money or accolades or love, etc. and this value is how we measure if we have lived a fulfilled life and it is subjective to the person. I honestly do not think any of us are have the right to judge if someone has wasted their life or not because it is all about how the individual feels about how they have spent their time.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

I personally feel like it depends on if they felt like it was worth it to only share their ideas with each other. If she was happy with it all then I think that's what really matters.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Wekesa Namuyonga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wekesa-namuyonga.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Wekesa Namuyonga »

Life is important to a person and doing what you want is the most important thing. I think Ron took it in his own way to live whoever he wants.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I don't think any character "wasted" any portion of their life (or time) in pursuit of meaningful connections to other characters or concepts. Life is full of "perhapses," but it's definitely awareness that creates reality. That's one of the attributes that sets the human species apart from other animals: our ability to comprehend a conscious awareness of our situation and ultimate surroundings over the course of a finite lifetime. People are driven by different passions, and they pursue different priorities throughout the course of their careers. What one may deem frivolous or without substance, another may see as having given their life direction, purpose, meaning, and fulfillment. I think Ron and Regina both walked the paths they were meant to walk.
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

Shedding light on her struggles would have made Regina's character more human and relatable. But then, it is not uncommon for people with responsibilities to hide their struggles.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”