Is It Ron's Love for Gambling or Maths?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Re: Is It Ron's Love for Gambling or Maths?

Post by Goodness C N »

I think shy Ron got invested in math was because of the paycheck he gets from Regina. So all things being equal, it was really Gambling and not math.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

Personally, I believe the major driving force to gambling was his idleness, desire to make money, and showcase his abilities. However, he seems to establish a purpose in live when he studies math. So, I am more inclined to math than gambling.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I actually disagree that Ron was more inclined to gambling than math. I think, at first he was inclined to gamble because it made money. But ultimately, he gave it up to have more time to study math. I think his success in school had more to do with Regina than math or gambling, though. She was the first adult who really believed in him and pushed him.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think Ron likes gambling because of the challenge of uncertainty. He is lucky to have a brilliant mind to use math in his games. It is the same reason why chess appeals to him and why he accepted the bet on his grades. It is not just the money but also the satisfaction he gets when he beats the odds.
Bisqwik
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bisqwik.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Bisqwik »

I see it as something that was an opportunity for him to use a talent that he also loved. Then, with many things, it lost its charm when there were the negatives to deal with. It's fun, but too much left to chance and voila. Renting a house, saving money, all that suddenly gone.
“A person’s never too old for stories. Man and boy, girl and woman, we live for them.”- Roland Deschain
Kyhm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyhm.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kyhm »

I think he only gambled to earn some money. On the other hand, I remember how he said in the story that Math makes him feel like himself. Like he's very comfortable with it.
athurst123
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athurst123.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by athurst123 »

I like your perspective and I think it is very interesting. I think Ron did really love math. He grew up without a lot of money and when he discovered that math and gambling could be related, he started to love both; maybe even loved gambling a little bit more. So I think his love is for both, but in different ways.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

I think it's more accurate to say that Ron's love is for Mathematics.
Ron's interest in gambling was borne out of his desire to get money. We see this love for gambling right from the beginning at the Chess tournaments, and later on, it shifted to poker.
But his interest in maths was his own choice; he wasn't pressured into it. I think it was his love for maths that guided him to take it as his research subject. The monetary gain he received from the stock market due to his research on Fractals was purely coincidental.
MarvMike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by MarvMike »

I think Ron has been good in Maths from the start but due to the lack of finance, he couldn't continue school and therefore resulted in his success in gambling.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

I can't attribute his success to gambling because even though gambling earned him some money, it came with high risks that could've killed him. Also, gambling was not what led to his actual success. It was his maths. Through his study of maths, he made a discovery that opened financial doors for him.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Asja Šabani »

Yes, Ron loves gambling but I truly believe that his true love is math. He enjoys gambling and is good at it because he is good at math.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

Gambling was his way to earn money. He was inspired by tv shows to play gamble, but maths has a more intriguing effect on him. Moreover, gambling has uncertain odds which Ron always tries to understand. On the other hand, maths was straightforward in rules. There was no risk in it.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I think that it can easily work both ways. He was interested in gambling to earn a living. He went to school because it became a way to earn a living. It seems as though he liked math somewhat already, but gambling increased that interest, along with his crush, of course. Hard to tell which was actually more important, or if Ron even knew himself.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

Brenda Creech wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 13:00
Melexa wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 12:45 I think Ron's love for gambling was borne out of his desire to get money. We see this love for gambling right from the beginning at the Chess tournaments and later on when he shifted into poker - all of which was driven by his desire to get money.

Generally, school wasn't central in Ron's mind. So his love for maths was on the periphery. His focus was money, and whatever gives him that becomes important to him.
I absolutely agree with you! His focus was money more than school. When he did go to school it was because Regina was paying him to do so! And you are right about his love for gambling being apparent right from the start with his love of chess. Very well said!
Well, of course that is a fact that he was more interested in money than anything else. I feel like the mathematics thing was a natural to him that is why he got to be so good at playing chess. I don't think he struggled that much when he studied mathematics, hence it was an easy pizzy decision to go to school while being paid for it.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

EnobongGold wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 17:50 Sometimes people are pushed to do something out of circumstance. I wouldn't conclude that he really loved gambling, I'd rather say he did it to make money. He developed his love for Math when he later started to school
People who are most of the times good at playing board games tend to be good at mathematics. I could agree that he gambled for money out of unfortunate circumstances. Mathematics was already in his blood in my view, hence I trust he discovered his love for mathematics when he went to school although he took the opportunity because of money.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”