Review by Essy Govender -- The Easter Make Believers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Essy Govender
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-govender.html
Latest Review: The Grand by Dennis D. Wilson

Review by Essy Govender -- The Easter Make Believers

Post by Essy Govender » 01 Mar 2019, 06:57

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Easter Make Believers" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel The Easter Make Believers is a fiction thriller by Finn Bell. It is a fast-pased action, crime and mystery novel. It's a novel that will keep you on your toes from beginning to end. Finn Bell has created a brilliant novel which brings the impact drug abuse has on a family. We see how an ordinary family's life is turned upside down. The author is at what length parents can go to save their children. It's a story about love, betrayal, drugs and death.

The story is set in a small town called Lawrence in New Zealand. The book begins with an ordinary family being held hostage by gangsters. Nick and Code are two detectives who work the cold case in the police department. They are called in to investigate the hostage situation. Five gang members are killed. One gang member is on the run with the hostage named James Chen. The mystery is the Chen family and gangsters are connected. The detectives work all angle to figure out the mystery and to find the missing hostage.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. The book was well edited. I only found two mistakes. The characters were well strong and well-developed. The story was well-thought-out and very interesting. It was and very easy and quick book to read. He touched my heart especially when then Chen's had given all the wealth to save their son William. It was sad to lose him in a freak accident.

What I liked most in the novel is how the author makes us aware of the extreme violence that occur in gang and how drug abuse effects our family. The author portrays a brilliant image of the snowy weather. The story takes place during Easter. It's the first ever recorded to have snowed in Lawrence.

I feel the character Syvie was too small. The author should have developed her more. I would like to know why she committed suicide. She is somehow connected to the gangsters and the hostage situation that took place. She had a significant role in the story. The author kept us on the edge which was disappointing.

I recommend this novel to adults who love crime, mystery, suspense and murder. There are fair amounts of vulgar language. It's will not be suitable for children. The novel is full of surprise which added to the suspense of the story.

The Easter Make Believers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Essy Govender's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”