Review by TuyetMai -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Review by TuyetMai -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Mai Tran »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his memoir Gringo, Dan “Tito” Davis recounts his personal experience as an international fugitive. Raised by parents who came from abject poverty, Davis has been obsessed with making money from an early age. Although he enjoys school and treats it as a privilege, he doesn’t know what he wants to do in life. In college, he’s introduced to drugs for the first time and eventually gets involved in drug trafficking. At twenty-four years old, he earns two hundred thousand dollars a week (which equates to a million dollars a week today) (Location 171 of 4915). Facing a false charge of 30 years in prison after trusting the wrong person, Davis promptly flees south of the border. From Mexico, he travels to countless countries trying to make a new life for himself, always looking behind his shoulders.

Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive is a story of adventure beyond imagination. Would you believe someone if he tells you that he learned Spanish from a hitwoman while staying under the protection of the Medellin Cartel in Colombia, or that he was kidnapped by guerrillas and held at gun points numerous times? Yet, these things happened to the author, who somehow managed to come out alive and share his story. The suspense builds as readers wonder what will happen next, when Davis will get caught, or perhaps he will be able to clear his name after all. It’s an absolutely riveting story that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

In addition, the book offers a glimpse into the drug business from an ex-dealer's viewpoint. It’s interesting how much of it is fundamentally similar to a normal business if it wasn’t for its dangerous nature. I love how Davis doesn’t feel the need to spell everything out, which leaves much to speculation. The ex-dealer himself comes across as someone who is just trying to make it in his own way after learning from past mistakes. On that note, the book also raises awareness of the paradoxical situation that ex-convicts have to face: Even if they want to put the past behind and make an honest living, the stigma is often so great that many are forced to either take up minimum wage jobs or go back to their old ways.

The book is straightforward and well-written with only a few grammar errors. The footnotes help understand slangs and Spanish words used throughout the book, so readers who are unfamiliar with the language shouldn’t hesitate to pick up this book. Although sex, kidnapping, and assassination do come up, everything is written in good taste. However, there is one instance where the author describes bestiality which I find uncomfortable to read despite his effort to make it inexplicit. Regardless, it would be a waste for readers to skip the book entirely because of this one scene.

If you’ve ever wondered what drug trafficking is really like beyond what is shown in movies, Gringo has some interesting first-hand insights to offer. I strongly recommend this riveting book to fans of crime, thriller, and adventure literature. However, this book is more than just an interesting adventure. There are many aspects to it, from family relationships to adventures, crimes, and politics. It will make readers rethink their impressions of people who engage in drug trafficking and question the way crimes are being dealt with. I give this captivating book 4 out of 4 stars.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TuyetMai's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

I love that you suggest this book to those who enjoy reading about crime, thriller, and adventures. I can only add that this book is only for mature readers. Great review!
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

This was a good book filled with twists and turns, and the narrative was entertaining. His life story seems like fiction, lol. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”