Official Review: Death Has a Thousand Doors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Official Review: Death Has a Thousand Doors

Post by SpencerVo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death Has a Thousand Doors" by Peter B Worland.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine being trapped inside an endless cave with no defined escape. If you think the situation is not horrifying enough, imagine being trapped inside an endless cave, continuously crawling on your knees and elbows with just a glimmer of light, drinking pungent water for survival, fighting off pneumonia and diarrhea. To top it off, you are surrounded by people whom you don’t know well and don’t particularly like. I don’t know about you, but that sounds like sheer torture to me.

Hal Lindsey can’t forget about that horrible incident happening so many years ago. Terror and guilt plague his sleep every night. He used to be a thirtysomething who decided to go back to college after his share of relationship and career failures. He had a decent academic life and a beautiful girlfriend. Unfortunately, life had more in store for him. His girlfriend was an enthusiastic member of a caving club. At her insistence, he joined a caving trip in West Virginia despite being a novice and having no interest in the hobby. The expedition, comprised of nine students with different personalities and temperaments, aimed to explore a relatively newfound cave with the hope to make history. After overcoming the initial ups and downs to set foot inside the cave, they encountered a deadly obstacle. They managed to run deep into the cave to find a way to escape, but what awaited them in the dark space was no better. Stuck, terrified, and exhausted, these people soon clashed and conflicts arose. Would all of them come out of this hellhole, and how many of them would end up as corpses buried in this cave for eternity?

Death Has a Thousand Doors is definitely not for the faint-hearted since the book explores one of the most claustrophobic places on earth. Many suspension novels often juxtapose between tension and relief, but this book is only made up of tension and dread. Peter Worland’s writing style even reflects this sense of desperation, doom, and uncertainty. When reading this novel, you feel as if each word was sucking the life from you. And yet, you want to arrive at the destination in order to earn relief and closure. Despite the tightness in my chest, I could not put the novel down.

This is a novel with no hero. At first glance, the main characters may resemble stereotypes in common horror tropes: the jock, the black guy, the joker, the hot girls, the girl with common sense, and the everyman. This remains true until the cave brings out the complexity in them. Nonetheless, none of them are likable or admirable. I recall screaming at the pages many times, yelling “why?” frantically when one of them does something incredibly idiotic or selfish. But as irritated as I was, I couldn't blame them. They are, honestly, painfully ordinary and human. That is the novel’s special ingredient. While we delight in psychopaths’ wickedness, the most terrifying stories are when normal people are reduced to their worst in abysmal circumstances. I can’t help wondering how I myself would react when put in their situation.

On the downside, the novel still has room for improvement. The aftermath of the incident can be explored a little further as it seems to be glossed over. There are some instances when I have doubt that the characters’ physical abilities are unrealistic and exaggerated. Besides, the book is not professionally edited; there are many punctuation mistakes dragging the overall quality down. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

As aforementioned, Death Has a Thousand Doors is unsuitable for readers who are in search of a light read. Besides, the novel has explicit details of rape, murder, manslaughter, and kidnapping. However, if you are a fan of suspension and horror genres and willing to endure a gripping survival story, I highly recommend this work.

Death Has a Thousand Doors
View: on Bookshelves

Like SpencerVo's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

The plot seems engaging. It seems as though the title of the book justfy the story. I even like the fact that the characters are painted as ordinary humans who are not perfect and can do mistakes. Fascinating review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! That is definitely NOT my idea of a good time. I can't imagine what that would be like. It sounds like a great premise for a novel. Like you, I would probably be screaming at the book after the characters did something so idiotically typical. I'll have to try it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SpencerVo
Currently Reading:

Post by SpencerVo »

Rose Harebate wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 05:12 The plot seems engaging. It seems as though the title of the book justfy the story. I even like the fact that the characters are painted as ordinary humans who are not perfect and can do mistakes. Fascinating review!
Yes, the title definitely hints at the desperate atmosphere in the story. Thank you for your lovely comment!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
SpencerVo
Currently Reading:

Post by SpencerVo »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 08:59 Wow! That is definitely NOT my idea of a good time. I can't imagine what that would be like. It sounds like a great premise for a novel. Like you, I would probably be screaming at the book after the characters did something so idiotically typical. I'll have to try it. Thanks.
I don't think it is anybody's idea of a good time :lol: I hope you enjoy this novel much as much as I did.
Thank you for your nice comment!
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 »

I think I would ditch the girlfriend before going into another cave again. The book is not my kind of read, but Thanks for the review.
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

I would definitely love to read this book. I am fan of suspense books. The book might be turned into a movie, who knows?
However, I have discovered that the imaginations of the mind is much better than the reality. Great review, by the way!
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This sounds very promising - a "novel with no hero" indeed. Before you mentioned the horror tropes, I was already envisioning a slasher type of film, where characters are trapped in a place with a monster/killer on the loose. Thanks also for the trigger warnings. This might not be for me.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I am always fascinated by caves so I am very much excited to have this book on my shelf. Also, I'm intrigued on what will happen to the group.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I felt like I was suffocating ever since the first paragraph. I think I'll skip this book, considering that most of the time I take the stairs instead of the elevator. I find interesting how humans bring animalism to the surface in critical situations. Thank you for your claustrophobic review!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I can feel the tension just reading your review. Great job grabbing the reader.
Sudhanshu_Badoni
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sudhanshu_Badoni »

"Death has a thousand doors" by P. B. Worland
A great novel for the horror and suspense lovers. It is certainley not for light hearted readers as the story runs through the harsh truths of life such as murder, rape, selfishness, etc. The novel has no specific hero to start with. Just imagine trapped in an endless darkness with no one of your own around you. Every man for himself. Overall enjoyed reading it and will surely give goosebums.
Elvis93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis93.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Elvis93 »

What a way to start your review. Impressive and captivating. A book full of tension and dread. I will for sur love it. I really enjoy such books. I will read it as soon as possible. Thanks for this wonderful review.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Many suspension novels often juxtapose between tension and relief, but this book is only made up of tension and dread.
Wow, that’s quite a statement! The physical hardship and interpersonal issues sound fascinating to me. I just might like this one. Thanks for your review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
adam zanna 2424
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by adam zanna 2424 »

this is very surviving life and informative book I like more of this kind of book

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”