Review by SherHus -- An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
SherHus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherhus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review by SherHus -- An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

Post by SherHus » 16 Feb 2019, 21:12

[Following is a volunteer review of "An Imperfect Crime" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Imperfect Crime - A Father Montero/Detective Sanchez Mystery by Fred G Baker is about a hare-brained scheme by two friends who are aspiring authors who are getting nowhere in the publishing world because they are unknowns. They decide to "commit a murder" without killing anyone, get arrested and charged in order to release a book about the “crime”. Therefore, having gained notoriety, and becoming famous or more accurately infamous they would be sought-after authors. Their plan was to later reveal that the "murder victim" was still alive at the last minute just before the verdict was announced. What could go wrong? In this case many things went incredibly wrong. The unbelievable events that unfold as a result of this far-fetched scheme is what this story is about.

My official rating for this novel would be 3 out of 4 stars. Unfortunately, they are no decimal points in the rating system but if they were, it would be 3.8 out of 4 stars.

The mystery was intriguing and well-crafted and as the layers are unravelled the reader is pulled headlong into a plot that gets deeper and deeper with many surprise twists. The editing of the novel was superb with no grammatical or vocabulary mistakes that I noticed. The writer took the story in some directions that I would not have thought of and wove together the main plots and sub-plots effortlessly. In addition, the writer did a good job of describing and setting the scenes.

I did not give the novel a perfect 4 because in my opinion, the novel did not flow as fluidly in the beginning as it could have. The dialogue between the characters seemed a bit rushed and everything seemed to be moving too quickly at first but later it settled into a nice rhythm. Personally, I like to be guessing until almost the end who the villain may be, but the culprit and motive was apparent to me almost right away. However, the twist and turns of the story made up for that.

As I stated previously, I would give it the story a 3 out of 4 star rating as the story intrigued me as it unfolded and the characters were likeable and ones you would want to see in future books. There was some profanity, but it fit in with the personalities of the characters of the novel. Also interesting to me was the use of a priest as one of the main characters in the novel. This added a unique perspective which I had not encountered previously in a novel.

This book would appeal to mystery lovers and those who like police themed novels.

An Imperfect Crime
View: on Bookshelves

Like SherHus's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”