Review by safah26121990 -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
safah26121990
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-safah26121990.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by safah26121990 -- Gringo

Post by safah26121990 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"GRINGO: My Life On The Edge As An International Fugitive" by Dan 'Tito' Davis with Peter Conti is FOR MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY. What I liked most about "Gringo" by Dan 'Tito' Davis is that it felt as if though the author was having a conversation with me, what I disliked most was that I feel as if though, while reading the book I did not feel as if though drug dealers etc are bad moral characters.

"Gringo" by Dan 'Tito' Davis was amazing! It literally had me flipping through it. I could not put it down. it was truly an immersive read. "Gringo" by Dan 'Tito' Davis was thrilling and exciting, it kept me on the edge of my seat. It completely changed my perspective on how I view drug lords and drug cartels and the world in general, and through it all it even made me laugh out loud.

In"Gringo" by Dan 'Tito' Davisis the author's biography, the story begins with the author's childhood, living as a middle-class citizen; in the constant fear of poverty, despite being well off due to his parent's pasts. As he grows up he becomes hungry for money. He gets a well paid job and is studying well until university where everything goes downhill, this is where he becomes involved in dealing. The story takes off from here.

It taught me so much about Mexican culture and overall human culture, how people think and how everyone works for their own means. It is told in a very raw and realistic way. I could relate to the author; and yet he was so different. I love the way Dan 'Tito' Davis is never ready to settle. it is just adventure after adventure thrill after thrill and the obstacles of life never leave him at ease no they throw at him one after the other in this way the story of the author feels very real it feels just like he is talking to you.

Dan Tito Davis sounds very genuine and honest and the story is perked with details that makes the story feel alive. As it is a very human account of his life there are moments of emotion that left my heart aching.

The book contains a glossary for many different words used, such as “gringo” and “ghetto” etc. The book seemed well edited, the writing was informal with the occasional swear word (words such as ni***r and f**k).

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars I very much enjoyed "Gringo" by Dan 'Tito' Davis but it did feel a bit disturbing as I mentioned before getting close to those characters who were so much in the wrong, in other words, I felt like the book could be a bad influence. However, it was very much a learning experience, and very much an adventure.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like safah26121990's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”